Foxconn could resume full iPhone production by early January

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2022
Apple's major iPhone supplier Foxconn says that it is getting production back to normal following COVID lockdown and workers rioting.

A Foxconn facility
A Foxconn facility

Following China's severe COVID lockdown measures, and then rioting by some workers while others fled the Zhengzhou factory, Foxconn has issued a statement about its production.

According to Reuters, Foxconn's official statement says that revenue fell 11.4% year over year during November, because of the issues. The company does not itself specify any details about when full capacity will resume

"At present, the overall epidemic situation has been brought under control with November being the most affected period," said the statement. It adds that Foxconn is gradually "restoring production capacity to normal."

Separately, an unspecified source said to have direct knowledge of the situation, gave Reuters more details. "The capacity is now being gradually resumed," said the source, adding that with new recruitment underway, full production is expected around late December or early January.

"If the recruitment goes smoothly, it could take around three to four weeks to resume full production," continued the source. Despite reporting some "fears" that workers have about Foxconn's conditions, the source said that, "we are firing on all cylinders on the recruitment."

A second source said that "the situation has stabilized," and that "the local government is actively helping with the resumption."

Previously, it's been reported that the lockdown and riots would severely reduce Foxconn's revenues. Foxconn's official statement said only that the forthcoming Q4 growth was expected to be "roughly in line with market consensus."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    My opinion of Tim Cook was changed in an instant when I watched a segment on Fox News. He was walking down a corridor, probably in Washington, with other people and the reporter was asking simple but stinging questions. Yes, for all you libs, it was a Fox reporter but the questions were legit.

https://www.foxnews.com/video/6316494091112

What a fucking coward. He kept walking, saying nothing, trying to hide behind another person. It was a sight to see. Douchebag doesn’t begin to describe him. He’s stuck suckling at Xi Jinping’s nipple and he knows it. He must tow the party line or else. So it turns out all of Cook’s virtue signaling about human rights, privacy, security, freedom, project red, all of it, is bullshit when the rubber hits the road and profits are involved. And don't give me this crap abut following the laws of the country involved. He could have answered those questions. He could have said he supported the protesters but he stared straight ahead because he didn’t want to upset his dictator.
    edited December 2022 chadbaggrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 7
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,296member
    lkrupp said:
    My opinion of Tim Cook was changed in an instant when I watched a segment on Fox News. He was walking down a corridor, probably in Washington, with other people and the reporter was asking simple but stinging questions. Yes, for all you libs, it was a Fox reporter but the questions were legit.

What a fucking coward. He kept walking, saying nothing, trying to hide behind another person. It was a sight to see. Douchebag doesn’t begin to describe him. He’s stuck suckling at Xi Jinping’s nipple and he knows it. He must tow the party line or else. So it turns out all of Cook’s virtue signaling about human rights, privacy, security, freedom, project red, all of it, is bullshit when the rubber hits the road and profits are involved. And don't give me this crap abut following the laws of the country involved. He could have answered those questions. He could have said he supported the protesters but he stared straight ahead because he didn’t want to upset his dictator.
    Leaders have to balance multiple competing priorities. For Apple in China, profit and all of their other values are in extreme conflict. My main criticism of Cook is that the writing has been on the wall regarding China for some time and Apple should have been more proactive about getting out (they are looking pretty reactive to me right now). 

BUT -- we have now seen multiple articles about Apple moving to get out of China ASAP. That means more than how he responds to questions from a reporter. 
    muthuk_vanalingamchadbagAnilu_777
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lkrupp said:

Few others and myself have already pointed out the exact same points that you are angry with Apple's CEO today. BUT, we would cut him some slack on this occasion, simply for the reason that he is the CEO of the world's most valuable company. And he cannot speak irresponsibly, the liberty that keyboard warriors like us enjoy and that liberty is not available to him. In hindsight though, he could have spoken a lot less (virtue signalled) on the topics such as human rights, privacy etc because they looked shallow when he made those comments.
    chadbag
  • Reply 4 of 7
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    The best most effective CEO in the world doesn’t need to waste time to talking to Fox idiot network (includes Sky), Apple is effective behind the scenes where they should be, Elon the dumb had to go to Apple or else.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/23/technology/travis-kalanick-pushes-uber-and-himself-to-the-precipice.html

Apple will do what they do best think long term, execute and disrupt their competition.

The bigger problem is Southeast Asia not Taiwan, it is the Brahmaputra and Mekong river’s being dammed up by China at the headwaters with 31 dams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dams_on_the_Brahmaputra_River

www.nationalgeographic.com/...

www.aseantoday.com/...

The Mekong will soon not even make it to the South China Sea and half the Ganges won’t even get to the Bay of Bengal.

That Chinese dam infrastructure, more than half of it is already built, the Chinese Thorium reactor is built and is being tested now, the Indians are still talking about theirs and Oak Ridge is on life support in the USA.

edited December 2022 Anilu_777
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    So the workers that left the factory  are doing what? Are they becoming accountants now?

when they left the factory, they went home and still got locked down. I am willing to bet most of them are running back to Foxconn now 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    People are missing one thing. Apple won’t need to completely leave China. They have great relationship with Chinese communist owned Li Shin Precision Manufacuring, the company does all the AirPods already. 

Many are saying China government wants Apple to stay and thrive but just not with Foxconn which is owned by Taiwan

so Foxconn maybe forced out in China and handing over all their factory and equipment to Li Shin and Apple continue to work with them in China and Foxconn outside of china

so honestly, Apple is sitting pretty