iOS 16.2 implements 10-minute AirDrop time limit globally

Posted:
in iOS
Apple's iOS 16.2 release will expand the 10-minute time limit it imposed on receiving shares from everyone with AirDrop in China, to every market it serves.

iOS 16.2 has an AirDrop time limit
iOS 16.2 has an AirDrop time limit

In the iOS 16.1.1 update and iOS 16.2 developer beta, Apple added a ten-minute restriction for sharing materials through AirDrop using the "Everyone" setting. It limited the feature to customers in China, but announced in November that it would expand the limit to customers worldwide.

The time has come for the limitation, and Apple users everywhere will see it when they update to iOS 16.2. After 10 minutes, the "Everyone" option will change to "Contacts Only."

AirDrop has three options for sharing and receiving content. "Receiving Off" disables the feature, and "Contacts Only" ensures that people will only receive AirDrop content from people in their contacts.

The "Everyone" setting, which is the focus of the 10-minute limit, means that anyone with an Apple device can receive something through AirDrop. Prior to the change, the "everyone" setting was permanent, until toggled by the user.

A big talking point for the last few weeks was that Apple introduced the feature to cooperate with the Chinese government. Critics claimed that it was done to impede protesters who may share anti-government materials through AirDrop.

Apple made the change before protests in China started. It also didn't announce the change when it first put it in place, nor did it comment on it publicly until it said it was rolling out the change world-wide.

Protesters have already used the feature to their advantage in the past. For example, in 2019, people in Hong Kong reportedly used AirDrop to distribute digital pamphlets about an extradition bill.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    It’s just apple trying to deflect what they did in china,   to get ahead of the Curve to try to avoid criticism going forward ..  Nobody cared about airdrop feature for all of sudden “let’s limited it to 10mins” 
    darkvaderwilliamlondonbonobobctt_zhappleinsideruser
  • Reply 2 of 18
    It’s just apple trying to deflect what they did in china,   to get ahead of the Curve to try to avoid criticism going forward ..  Nobody cared about airdrop feature for all of sudden “let’s limited it to 10mins” 
    My guess is you’ve missed all the articles about people being AirDrop bombed with alarming or intentionally disturbing material in small or closed spaces. 
    Fidonet127lolliverwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamjeffharrisFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 18
    My guess is Apple is supporting China’s regime.  Why would Apple care if people used Airdrop to everyone.  If people don’t want what’s being Airdropped, turn off Airdrop.  It’s that simple.  

The people of China want freedom. How else are they going to get it if they don’t protest? How else are they going to protest if they don’t use Airdrop to send out their message?
    williamlondonapple4lizifectt_zhappleinsideruser
  • Reply 4 of 18
    lwr32 said:
    My guess is Apple is supporting China’s regime.  Why would Apple care if people used Airdrop to everyone.  If people don’t want what’s being Airdropped, turn off Airdrop.  It’s that simple.  

The people of China want freedom. How else are they going to get it if they don’t protest? How else are they going to protest if they don’t use Airdrop to send out their message?
    My guess is your guess is wrong. 
    lolliverwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamjeffharrisFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 18
    My guess is you’ve missed all the articles about people being AirDrop bombed with alarming or intentionally disturbing material in small or closed spaces. 
    My guess is you missed the setting to turn airdrop off or on for contacts only. 
    williamlondonbonobobctt_zh
  • Reply 6 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    My guess is most people don't do this and it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. I love everyone's tinfoil hat theories though. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamcaladanianFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 18
    macxpress said:
    My guess is most people don't do this and it shouldn't be an issue in the first place. I love everyone's tinfoil hat theories though. 
    Even when is at “Everyone” you have to accept whatever some random person is trying to send you. If you are not expecting anything from a nearby family member or friend. WHY don’t reject the requests to receive items through AirDrop. Like they said in spanish “La curiosidad mato al gato”. 
    caladanianctt_zhFileMakerFellerAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 18
    That will reduce the usability of airdrop massively since many have not tidy address books or would expect this (in my view totally unnecessary mandatory) time limit. 
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 9 of 18
    When I got my first iPhone I was riding on the NYC subway playing Dots or something. 
    Suddenly a dick picture appeared on screen!

Holy sh… !!! I quickly looked around to see if anyone noticed and deleted it. 
    Same thing happened 3 more times.

Then I remembered AirDrop and switched the prefs to Contacts Only. 

That was pretty jarring. 

A 10 minute limit is reasonable.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 10 of 18
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Agree with Apple.  As someone who accidentally airdropped a picture across a restaurant instead of the person who was in front of me, a 10 minute limit makes sense.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I partially disagree. I would prefer to have the option of a 10 minute limit. Personally, I couldn’t care less if someone tries to AirDrop a photo I’m not interested in. I don’t care what it is, I won’t be offended or disgusted or anything, I’ll simply decline. If it’s an issue I can turn it off in the moment. 

I have to leave AirDrop set to Everyone. If I set it to Contacts Only it either doesn’t work (nobody shows as available, even people in my contacts) or it takes a very long time to populate. Having to set it to Everyone any time I want to use it adds a few extra, and unnecessary, steps. My issues would largely go away if Contacts Only worked for me as it has been several years since I used AirDrop with someone not in my Contacts. 

As it stands today, I’d like to have the option to have no time limitation. Reducing extra steps to do something simple is part of the reason I prefer using Apple Pay over using a physical card. Adding more steps helps nobody. 
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I guess adding the 10-minute option and also keeping the 'everyone forever' setting for those who want it make too much sense.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    lwr32 said:

[emphasis added]

Uhhhh... you're saying that the only option for protesting in China is by a specific Apple feature? Wow.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Inconveniencing everyone equally is an obvious solution to accusations of sucking up to a totalitarian government.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I partially disagree. I would prefer to have the option of a 10 minute limit. Personally, I couldn’t care less if someone tries to AirDrop a photo I’m not interested in. I don’t care what it is, I won’t be offended or disgusted or anything, I’ll simply decline. If it’s an issue I can turn it off in the moment. 

I have to leave AirDrop set to Everyone. If I set it to Contacts Only it either doesn’t work (nobody shows as available, even people in my contacts) or it takes a very long time to populate. Having to set it to Everyone any time I want to use it adds a few extra, and unnecessary, steps. My issues would largely go away if Contacts Only worked for me as it has been several years since I used AirDrop with someone not in my Contacts. 

As it stands today, I’d like to have the option to have no time limitation. Reducing extra steps to do something simple is part of the reason I prefer using Apple Pay over using a physical card. Adding more steps helps nobody. 
    Perfectly said. Change the default to 10 minutes, but give us users an option to revert to the reliable, convenient setting that just works with less faff. 

I love Android’s look when they see how easy ad-hoc transfers are between Apple’s.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Not happy about this. I always have it on. Never been spammed and would always refuse if I was. 
  • Reply 17 of 18

Perfectly said. Change the default to 10 minutes, but give us users an option to revert to the reliable, convenient setting that just works with less faff. 

I love Android’s look when they see how easy ad-hoc transfers are between Apple’s.
    Interesting aside: I’ve noticed/heard people incorrectly explaining that one needs to be connect to a Wi-Fi network for AirDrop to work. As you mention, the “network” is ad-hoc and no actual Wi-Fi network needs to be present except for between the 2 devices. Wi-Fi needs to be on for both devices but AirDrop will work anywhere, even away from any form of connectivity (like cellular or Wi-Fi). It’s surprising to me how many people are unaware of that yet use AirDrop fairly regularly. 
    appleinsideruser
  • Reply 18 of 18

Interesting aside: I’ve noticed/heard people incorrectly explaining that one needs to be connect to a Wi-Fi network for AirDrop to work. As you mention, the “network” is ad-hoc and no actual Wi-Fi network needs to be present except for between the 2 devices. Wi-Fi needs to be on for both devices but AirDrop will work anywhere, even away from any form of connectivity (like cellular or Wi-Fi). It’s surprising to me how many people are unaware of that yet use AirDrop fairly regularly. 
    Yup. Plus Bluetooth has to be turned on but not connected to anything. Basically Bluetooth is for discovery and negotiation, WiFi is for speedy peer to peer transfers. 

None of that NFC limited bandwidth Android nonsense. 🤭