Apple Music rolls out to Tesla cars in holiday software update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Following brief teases and a very long wait, Tesla is finally adding support for Apple Music to its in-car system, as part of its annual holiday software update.

Tesla
Tesla

Apple Music has been a high-profile absentee from the Tesla experience for quite some time, with Spotify, TuneIn, and Tidal already accessible in the infotainment system. However, in Tesla's annual Holiday Update for the car's software, it's finally adding Apple Music support.

In a tweet by James Locke, an owner of a Tesla Model 3 SR+, the Apple Music icon is visible as part of the 2022.44.25.1 update.

Access is provided by the Apple Music icon in the Application Launcher. Once launched, users will have to scan a QR code with their iPhone then log in with their Apple ID to authenticate.

While the update will roll out to all users, Apple Music subscribers will need to have a Premium Connectivity subscription for it to work over a cellular connection.

@Tesla holiday update incoming! This is on our Canadian Model 3 SR+ in the NWT. Thank you @elonmusk pic.twitter.com/JGeK9gFr7S

-- James Locke (@arctechinc)

The addition of Apple Music has been long-awaited, with code references in December 2020 pointing to future support. A museum exhibit in November went one further, explicitly including the Apple Music icon in a Tesla exhibit's vehicle.

Other changes in the update include an improvement to Dog Mode that adds a view from the interior camera, a scheduled Light Show feature, and a track mode for the Model Y Performance.

There's also climate control fan speed options, automatically deactivating auto turn signals, emissions testing mode summonable from the mobile app, and an option to always show Mario Kart's Rainbow Road track. for the driving visualization when Autopilot is active,

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    "and an option to always show Mario Kart's Rainbow Road track, for the driving visualization when Autopilot is active."

But don't watch it! You must pay attention to the road, and the motorcycle you're about to crash in to!

darkvaderDAalsethFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 41
    I would never buy a car that doesn't have CarPlay. Being beholden to an OEM to provide software updates to keep key functionality going, such as navigation, is just plain stupid. Especially when the guy you're counting on, Elon Musk, is just one marijuana hit away from making it so you have to pay $8 per month or whatever. 
    darkvadermacxpressDAalsethdrdaviddavgrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 41
    No CarPlay = just one more reason my next car will NOT be a Tesla.

It's a shame, really.  I mean, I don't care about "panel gaps" and such, but proprietary charge ports and a complete asshole running the company are a no-go for a car.

Oh, and no gauge cluster on the semi-affordable models.  That's a biggie too.
    DAalsethprolinedavITGUYINSD
  • Reply 4 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    “Sure, Elon, we’ll keep advertising on Twitter. Hey, when are you going to get CarPlay on your cars?” “I hear you, Tim, I hear you loud and clear. I’m on it."

caladanianmikethemartianFileMakerFellerprolinedrdaviddarkvaderthtwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Great! Now get into the 21st century and support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This should never not exist on any car sold today as new. 
    edited December 2022 prolineh2pdavdarkvaderlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 41
    darkvader said:

It's a shame, really.  I mean, I don't care about "panel gaps" and such, but proprietary charge ports and a complete asshole running the company are a no-go for a car.

I’m curious if other people feel the same way. Elon would never admit it if it were true, and I don’t know how much market research Tesla does. Anecdotal, but a friend of mine in LA just canceled a $140k Model X order and ordered a Rivian because he just can’t stand the Musk any longer. 
    williamlondonprolinedrdaviddarkvaderthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 41
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    payeco said:
    darkvader said:

I’m curious if other people feel the same way. Elon would never admit it if it were true, and I don’t know how much market research Tesla does. Anecdotal, but a friend of mine in LA just canceled a $140k Model X order and ordered a Rivian because he just can’t stand the Musk any longer. 
    I wonder the same thing myself, I was convinced my next car was going to be a Model 3 but with Tesla build quality problems, the forever beta-status of AutoPilot, his half-baked robotic and cyber truck ideas and his style of leadership, I will buy anything but a Tesla.  He is too unpredictable in his management style.

I really wonder how many of us are out there?
    williamlondonprolinedrdaviddavdarkvaderthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 41
    payeco said:
    darkvader said:

It's not the correct company, but maybe something can be gleaned from this article? (https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/13/twitter-lose-users-elon-musk-takeover-hate-speech) The Guardian predicts Twitter will lose ~32M users in the next two years due to the company's new Musk-scent.

Since Tesla is publicly traded we should know rather soon in detail how many others the new odor offends, and as you and Badmonk both pointed out, at least anecdotally it's already happening.
    drdaviddarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 41
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    payeco said:
    darkvader said:

I ran across an article today saying that people’s opinion of Tesla has gone very negative in the last year, mostly because of Musk.
    https://boingboing.net/2022/12/12/tesla-is-on-the-way-to-becoming-the-mypillow-of-cars.html
    williamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 41
    We finally got our Model Y in August after waiting 11 months from order date.  It’s the first new car we’ve ever owned. It’s amazing, but would like to have CarPlay on it.  If Rivian is a better car then buy it, but to me it’s idiotic to make (or cancel) a car purchase because of any person at the company.  
    FileMakerFellerwilliamlondonprolineh2pbyronl
  • Reply 11 of 41
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    We finally got our Model Y in August after waiting 11 months from order date.  It’s the first new car we’ve ever owned. It’s amazing, but would like to have CarPlay on it.  If Rivian is a better car then buy it, but to me it’s idiotic to make (or cancel) a car purchase because of any person at the company.  
    Good luck make sure to document every problem and do not except any BS……

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcH2vXtgbdg

macxpressdrdaviddavdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 41
    To be fair, Musk isn’t just “any person at the company”, he is the face of the company. From what I can tell he seems to be a fairly loud-voiced and opinionated face of the company.  He also seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

To me it’s similar to that person that cuts me off in traffic while driving a vehicle that has their company name on it.  I’ll remember that Chris’ Custom Closets guy cut me off and when it’s time to redo my closet I won’t be calling them.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to hear that Musk said something in an interview or on Twitter that really annoyed a potential customer and then that potential customer decided to go with another brand. 
    drdavidmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondondewmedarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 41
    To be fair, Musk isn’t just “any person at the company”, he is the face of the company. From what I can tell he seems to be a fairly loud-voiced and opinionated face of the company.  He also seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

To me it’s similar to that person that cuts me off in traffic while driving a vehicle that has their company name on it.  I’ll remember that Chris’ Custom Closets guy cut me off and when it’s time to redo my closet I won’t be calling them.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to hear that Musk said something in an interview or on Twitter that really annoyed a potential customer and then that potential customer decided to go with another brand. 
    My point was that regardless of the person, even the CEO, if the product is worth buying then buy it. Otherwise you’re just putting the stick in your own eye. I didn’t avoid Disney because Chapek is an idiot. 

I drove 430 miles yesterday afternoon to night in the Model Y. It took about 8.5 hours with all charging and bathroom stops, averaging about 74mph while on the road. What other electric vehicle can you do that with today (or likely even in 2 years)? The Lucid Air certainly can’t do that on one charge at interstate highway speeds.
    edited December 2022 h2pwilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 14 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

My point was that regardless of the person, even the CEO, if the product is worth buying then buy it. Otherwise you’re just putting the stick in your own eye. I didn’t avoid Disney because Chapek is an idiot. 

I drove 430 miles yesterday afternoon to night in the Model Y. It took about 8.5 hours with all charging and bathroom stops, averaging about 74mph while on the road. What other electric vehicle can you do that with today (or likely even in 2 years)? The Lucid Air certainly can’t do that on one charge at interstate highway speeds.
    The honeymoon with your Tesla will be over eventually....
    drdaviddavwilliamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 41
    macxpress said:
    The honeymoon with your Tesla will be over eventually....
    Wouldn’t that be true of any car? Why specifically about my Tesla?  There are many hundreds of thousands of very happy drivers and tens of thousands who own multiple Teslas.  I don’t think you can say the same about the Chevy Bolt.
    h2pwilliamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 16 of 41
    macxpress said:
    Great! Now get into the 21st century and support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This should never not exist on any car sold today as new. 
    I don't have CarPlay, which video streaming services does it support for when you are charging your EV?

Does it's trip planning factor in your cars range, state-of-charge, navigate through superchargers, show how many chargers are available in real time, pre-condition the battery for faster charging, and tell you how long you'll need to charge before continuing on your trip?

Apple Music support was overdue. I'm glad it has arrived and now I'll wait on Apple TV+ support. However, Teslas software is very well integrated and updated frequently. Better that Tesla controls the full stack just as Apple insists on doing with its own computers.

h2pbyronl
  • Reply 17 of 41
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member

There seems to be some disconnect here. The CEO of the company is making their own product not worth buying in the eyes of many people. This is the part your seem to be missing. It’s wonderful for you that your personal moral or ethical compass allows you to completely ignore the shitbag running the company you bought your car from though.
    drdavidwilliamlondondarkvaderITGUYINSDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 41
    When Apple pulls Twitter, is Tesla going to pull Apple Music?
    DAalsethdavdarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 41
    payeco said:

There seems to be some disconnect here. The CEO of the company is making their own product not worth buying in the eyes of many people. This is the part your seem to be missing. It’s wonderful for you that your personal moral or ethical compass allows you to completely ignore the shitbag running the company you bought your car from though.
    My point is it’s asinine to make decisions about your car purchase based on something that is unrelated to the car company.  If you don’t like what Musk is doing at Twitter don’t use Twitter (or use it to complain about Musk).  If Musk was doing something bad at Tesla then that would be rational to influence a purchasing decision.  

Nearly all clothes are still made in sweatshops globally.  Do you harvest your own wool and knit your own garments?  Do you research all the purchasing decisions you make (or don’t make) this granularly? If not, why not Moral Compass?
    williamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 20 of 41
    greginprague said: I drove 430 miles yesterday afternoon to night in the Model Y. It took about 8.5 hours with all charging and bathroom stops, averaging about 74mph while on the road. What other electric vehicle can you do that with today (or likely even in 2 years)? The Lucid Air certainly can’t do that on one charge at interstate highway speeds.
    LOL...Lucid Air Dream Range can go 505 miles without charging. And the reality is your trip is easily doable with a wide range of alternate EVs. 317 mile range for the Model Y Long Range isn't really anything that special these days. A Kia EV6 Wind can do 323. A relatively inexpensive Kona Electric can do 308. 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

Tesla's strength was that it was first-to-market. It never had any technology that other manufacturers couldn't duplicate. 
    edited December 2022 williamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobra