Apple Music rolls out to Tesla cars in holiday software update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    We finally got our Model Y in August after waiting 11 months from order date.  It’s the first new car we’ve ever owned. It’s amazing, but would like to have CarPlay on it.  If Rivian is a better car then buy it, but to me it’s idiotic to make (or cancel) a car purchase because of any person at the company.  
    To be fair, Musk isn’t just “any person at the company”, he is the face of the company. From what I can tell he seems to be a fairly loud-voiced and opinionated face of the company.  He also seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

To me it’s similar to that person that cuts me off in traffic while driving a vehicle that has their company name on it.  I’ll remember that Chris’ Custom Closets guy cut me off and when it’s time to redo my closet I won’t be calling them.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to hear that Musk said something in an interview or on Twitter that really annoyed a potential customer and then that potential customer decided to go with another brand. 
    My point was that regardless of the person, even the CEO, if the product is worth buying then buy it. Otherwise you’re just putting the stick in your own eye. I didn’t avoid Disney because Chapek is an idiot. 

I drove 430 miles yesterday afternoon to night in the Model Y. It took about 8.5 hours with all charging and bathroom stops, averaging about 74mph while on the road. What other electric vehicle can you do that with today (or likely even in 2 years)? The Lucid Air certainly can’t do that on one charge at interstate highway speeds.
    The Tesla Model Y can't do that on one charge, its range is about 300 miles, the same as a VW ID4, Audi Q4 etron, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq. Mercedes EQS and BMW iX have far superior ranges.
    edited December 2022 williamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    sflagel said: The Tesla Model Y can't do that on one charge, its range is about 300 miles, the same as a VW ID4, Audi Q4 etron, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq. Mercedes EQS and BMW iX have far superior ranges.
    Edmunds got 344 miles of range out of a Ford Mustang Mach E Route 1. That EV starts at $2,000 less than the Model Y Long Range which tested at 317. 
    sflageldarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 41
    We finally got our Model Y in August after waiting 11 months from order date.  It’s the first new car we’ve ever owned. It’s amazing, but would like to have CarPlay on it.  If Rivian is a better car then buy it, but to me it’s idiotic to make (or cancel) a car purchase because of any person at the company.  
    To be fair, Musk isn’t just “any person at the company”, he is the face of the company. From what I can tell he seems to be a fairly loud-voiced and opinionated face of the company.  He also seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

To me it’s similar to that person that cuts me off in traffic while driving a vehicle that has their company name on it.  I’ll remember that Chris’ Custom Closets guy cut me off and when it’s time to redo my closet I won’t be calling them.

It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to hear that Musk said something in an interview or on Twitter that really annoyed a potential customer and then that potential customer decided to go with another brand. 
    My point was that regardless of the person, even the CEO, if the product is worth buying then buy it. Otherwise you’re just putting the stick in your own eye. I didn’t avoid Disney because Chapek is an idiot. 
    Of course, I totally get it. My point is that there are absolutely people that will make decisions based on the words or actions of the company or people that work there. For instance, you may not let Chapek keep you from Disney, but others may have chosen Universal instead. Did they have a worse time? Is Universal’s product inferior to Disney’s? Do Musk’s words or actions make Teslas worse? Of course not, but Tesla may be losing sales to other automakers due to the words or actions of Musk. Tesla isn’t the only automaker that has vehicles worth buying. People have choices. 

sflagel said:

I drove 430 miles yesterday afternoon to night in the Model Y. It took about 8.5 hours with all charging and bathroom stops, averaging about 74mph while on the road. What other electric vehicle can you do that with today (or likely even in 2 years)? The Lucid Air certainly can’t do that on one charge at interstate highway speeds.
    The Tesla Model Y can't do that on one charge, its range is about 300 miles, the same as a VW ID4, Audi Q4 etron, Kia EV6, Hyundai Ioniq. Mercedes EQS and BMW iX have far superior ranges.
    @greginprague mentioned there were stops for charging. 
    edited December 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Pass on the MAGA hat on wheels. Everyone I know with one has had to wait for service or parts for up to a year. Real car companies are stepping up with EV models. Look there for the future.
    williamlondondarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 41
    payeco said:

There seems to be some disconnect here. The CEO of the company is making their own product not worth buying in the eyes of many people. This is the part your seem to be missing. It’s wonderful for you that your personal moral or ethical compass allows you to completely ignore the shitbag running the company you bought your car from though.
    My point is it’s asinine to make decisions about your car purchase based on something that is unrelated to the car company.  If you don’t like what Musk is doing at Twitter don’t use Twitter (or use it to complain about Musk).  If Musk was doing something bad at Tesla then that would be rational to influence a purchasing decision.  

Nearly all clothes are still made in sweatshops globally.  Do you harvest your own wool and knit your own garments?  Do you research all the purchasing decisions you make (or don’t make) this granularly? If not, why not Moral Compass?
    Who the CEO of the car company is is unrelated to the car company?
  • Reply 26 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    darkvader said:
    No CarPlay = just one more reason my next car will NOT be a Tesla.

It's a shame, really.  I mean, I don't care about "panel gaps" and such, but proprietary charge ports and a complete asshole running the company are a no-go for a car.

Oh, and no gauge cluster on the semi-affordable models.  That's a biggie too.
    The charging port comment is curious to see on an apple site, given Apple’s history of a proprietary lightning port. 

Tesla has actually opened up it’s charging standard. I hope it takes over since it’s clearly superior to the other standards out there but I’m not holding my breath.proline said:
    I would never buy a car that doesn't have CarPlay. Being beholden to an OEM to provide software updates to keep key functionality going, such as navigation, is just plain stupid. Especially when the guy you're counting on, Elon Musk, is just one marijuana hit away from making it so you have to pay $8 per month or whatever. 
    I have a Model Y and while I miss CarPlay, I’m still happy with the car. Overall, Tesla’s interface is probably one of the best in the industry (ok, that’s pretty faint praise…) The mapping/Nav software is excellent and generally on par or superior to Apple Maps. Texting works well except for the notable drawback of not handling group texts well. The one thing that I really miss is the podcast app. You can play podcasts through spotify but the Spotify app/interface is several notches below CarPlay. 

greginprague said: I drove 430 miles yesterday afternoon to night in the Model Y. It took about 8.5 hours with all charging and bathroom stops, averaging about 74mph while on the road. What other electric vehicle can you do that with today (or likely even in 2 years)? The Lucid Air certainly can’t do that on one charge at interstate highway speeds.
    LOL...Lucid Air Dream Range can go 505 miles without charging. And the reality is your trip is easily doable with a wide range of alternate EVs. 317 mile range for the Model Y Long Range isn't really anything that special these days. A Kia EV6 Wind can do 323. A relatively inexpensive Kona Electric can do 308. 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

Tesla's strength was that it was first-to-market. It never had any technology that other manufacturers couldn't duplicate. 
    Just to clarify - The Kona’s range is 258 miles, the AWD version of the Kia is actually 282 miles and the Lucid Air Dream edition is $169,000. Any car that costs more than 3x the average annual income shoudn’t really be included in a comparison.

The other advantage Tesla has is the supercharging network the way it’s integrated into the navigation system. Non-Tesla charging is improving but still lags behind, especially here in the midwest. I expect this gap will steadily close, but for now it is real. I’ve taken road trips in my Model Y and it is very easy.

The other problem with electric cars is that there is no clear standard for calculating range so comparing ranges is difficult. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 41
    I find it rather ironic and a bit hypocritical to see Apple fans who support Apple’s walled garden approach criticizing Tesla. There are really quite a few similarities between the two companies. (I’ll also say that I’ve seen several Tesla fans bashing Apple for similar reasons, something I find equally hipocritical.) 
    byronl
  • Reply 28 of 41
    sflagel said:

Ranges:
    VW ID4 range: 275 miles (https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-4.html)
    Audi Q4 etron range: 265 miles (https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/models/q4/q4-e-tron/2023/overview.html)
    Hyundai Ioniq range: 266 miles (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/ioniq-5/limited)
    Mercedes EQS range: 305 miles (Starts at > $105k, https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/model/eqs/suv/eqs450x#specifications)
    BMW iX range: 305 - 324 miles (https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/all-electric/ix/sports-activity-vehicle/build-your-own.html, note it accomplishes this by using a 105 kwh battery, about 50% larger than Teslas meaning charging will take proportionally longer)

There are many companies entering the EV market which is a good thing. From what I have read and seen, Tesla is still significantly ahead with it’s drivetrain and battery technology. 
  • Reply 29 of 41

Of course, I totally get it. My point is that there are absolutely people that will make decisions based on the words or actions of the company or people that work there. For instance, you may not let Chapek keep you from Disney, but others may have chosen Universal instead. Did they have a worse time? Is Universal’s product inferior to Disney’s? Do Musk’s words or actions make Teslas worse? Of course not, but Tesla may be losing sales to other automakers due to the words or actions of Musk. Tesla isn’t the only automaker that has vehicles worth buying. People have choices. 

sflagel said:

He did. But he finished by stating that the Lucid Air can't do that trip on one charge, implying that the Tesla could. Maybe just it was just badly drafted.
    (I also did not state that @greginprague did the trip on one charge, I only stated that the Tesla could not do it)

• Reply 30 of 41
    MplsP said:
    sflagel said:

Ranges:
    VW ID4 range: 275 miles (https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-4.html)
    Audi Q4 etron range: 265 miles (https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/models/q4/q4-e-tron/2023/overview.html)
    Hyundai Ioniq range: 266 miles (https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/ioniq-5/limited)
    Mercedes EQS range: 305 miles (Starts at > $105k, https://www.mbusa.com/en/vehicles/model/eqs/suv/eqs450x#specifications)
    BMW iX range: 305 - 324 miles (https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/all-electric/ix/sports-activity-vehicle/build-your-own.html, note it accomplishes this by using a 105 kwh battery, about 50% larger than Teslas meaning charging will take proportionally longer)

There are many companies entering the EV market which is a good thing. From what I have read and seen, Tesla is still significantly ahead with it’s drivetrain and battery technology. 
    Interesting that on EPA standards, the ID4 has so much less range than the Model Y. Using European WLTP measures, that is not the case:

ID4 - 328 miles (https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electric-and-hybrid/electric-cars/id4.html)
    MY LR - 331 miles (https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/modely/design#overview)

WLTP is inaccurate, but that would apply equally to both cars; I am not familiar with EPA.

IRL, I got 300 miles out of a Q4 etron in the height of summer (sub-zero C range seems to be about 200 miles).

darkvader
  • Reply 31 of 41
    MplsP said: Just to clarify - The Kona’s range is 258 miles, the AWD version of the Kia is actually 282 miles and the Lucid Air Dream edition is $169,000. Any car that costs more than 3x the average annual income shoudn’t really be included in a comparison.
    The EPA estimate of the Kona's range is 258. Edmunds got 308 from it in mixed use testing. Also, if you're interested in clarity then you should also mention that Tesla was the only manufacturer whose EVs consistently tested BELOW the EPA estimate. 
    edited December 2022 darkvader
  • Reply 32 of 41
    sflagel said:

sflagel said:

He did. But he finished by stating that the Lucid Air can't do that trip on one charge, implying that the Tesla could. Maybe just it was just badly drafted.
    (I also did not state that @greginprague did the trip on one charge, I only stated that the Tesla could not do it)

You are correct. I noticed that implication myself but it was hours after I posted and I could no longer edit. 
  • Reply 33 of 41
    MplsP said:
    There are really quite a few similarities between the two companies.
    Tesla is a textbook example of a first-to-market company. Tesla's vehicle technology and quality isn't anything special relative to other car companies. Is that really much of a parallel to Apple? Nope. 
    darkvaderwilliamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 41
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    MplsP said:
    Tesla is a textbook example of a first-to-market company. Tesla's vehicle technology and quality isn't anything special relative to other car companies. Is that really much of a parallel to Apple? Nope. 

I think a lot of regular people still view Tesla on a pedestal of their own because Tesla interiors still look so modern, much more than legacy car company interiors, and the interior is where you spend most of your time with your car. 90%+ people’s first reaction when they get in one for the first time is, essentially, “wow”. They had the benefit of not having 100+ years of institutional legacy car designs influencing all their design considerations. 
  • Reply 35 of 41
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    payeco said:
    MplsP said:

I think a lot of regular people still view Tesla on a pedestal of their own because Tesla interiors still look so modern, much more than legacy car company interiors, and the interior is where you spend most of your time with your car. 90%+ people’s first reaction when they get in one for the first time is, essentially, “wow”. They had the benefit of not having 100+ years of institutional legacy car designs influencing all their design considerations. 
    I'm DEFINITELY a car interior person, and I HATE Tesla interiors, particularly their low end interiors.  The lack of a gauge cluster is just plain unacceptable, and the rest of the interior is so incredibly bland.  The headrests aren't adjustable front to back, I'd have neck pain in under an hour if I didn't rip them out - and that's unsafe, I had the same problem with Volvos years ago, which is why I've never owned one (don't know if they ever fixed that).  And what idiot thought naugahyde was an acceptable substitute for leather?  I'd rather have nice soft cloth, like high end JDM Toyotas.  But pleather is just bad.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    payeco said: I think a lot of regular people still view Tesla on a pedestal of their own because Tesla interiors still look so modern, much more than legacy car company interiors, and the interior is where you spend most of your time with your car. 
    The only thing about Tesla that really looks that different versus legacy EV interiors is the empty dashboard. Swoopy bucket seats and a cockpit front layout aren't anything unusual. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 41
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    MplsP said:
    I find it rather ironic and a bit hypocritical to see Apple fans who support Apple’s walled garden approach criticizing Tesla. There are really quite a few similarities between the two companies. (I’ll also say that I’ve seen several Tesla fans bashing Apple for similar reasons, something I find equally hipocritical.) 

Not me.  I'd like to see Apple go back to the days where they published source code and schematics like they used to.  And it's MY iPhone, not Apple's iPhone, I should be able to install software from any source of MY choosing, not be limited to Apple's app store.  I applaud the EU for forcing the death of the proprietary Lightning connector, and hope they force an end to the walled garden soon.

Tesla's proprietary connector is as much of a problem as Apple's, the EU forced Tesla to stop that nonsense, it's past time for the US DOT to do the same and mandate J1772/CCS for all cars sold in the US and all public charging stations.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said: I think a lot of regular people still view Tesla on a pedestal of their own because Tesla interiors still look so modern, much more than legacy car company interiors, and the interior is where you spend most of your time with your car. 
    The only thing about Tesla that really looks that different versus legacy EV interiors is the empty dashboard. Swoopy bucket seats and a cockpit front layout aren't anything unusual. 
    Yes, exactly. Most people have never seen a dash like that outside of concept cars in magazines, etc. I think maybe we’re a bit jaded here. When my non-tech savvy relatives that don’t follow cars first the the dash of a Tesla they were very impressed. One actually said something alone the lines of ‘it’s a nice looking concept but it’ll never ship like that’ and I had to tell them it was a picture of a production car. 
  • Reply 39 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    greginprague said: I drove 430 miles yesterday afternoon to night in the Model Y. It took about 8.5 hours with all charging and bathroom stops, averaging about 74mph while on the road. What other electric vehicle can you do that with today (or likely even in 2 years)? The Lucid Air certainly can’t do that on one charge at interstate highway speeds.
    LOL...Lucid Air Dream Range can go 505 miles without charging. And the reality is your trip is easily doable with a wide range of alternate EVs. 317 mile range for the Model Y Long Range isn't really anything that special these days. A Kia EV6 Wind can do 323. A relatively inexpensive Kona Electric can do 308. 

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/electric-car-range-and-consumption-epa-vs-edmunds.html

Tesla's strength was that it was first-to-market. It never had any technology that other manufacturers couldn't duplicate. 
    Oh Moses in the reeds, here we go with the Chevy vs Ford crap. My god, get off that my dick is bigger than yours train. And as for your comment about Tesla being first to market, give us a break. "It never had any technology that other manufacturers couldn't duplicate.” Apple didn’t either and is never first to market yet it dominates. Just like Apple, people keep predicting the demise of Tesla just because it exists, and even more so now because they hate Elon Musk.
    edited December 2022
  • Reply 40 of 41
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    payeco said:
    darkvader said:
    No CarPlay = just one more reason my next car will NOT be a Tesla.

It's a shame, really.  I mean, I don't care about "panel gaps" and such, but proprietary charge ports and a complete asshole running the company are a no-go for a car.

Oh, and no gauge cluster on the semi-affordable models.  That's a biggie too.
    I’m curious if other people feel the same way. Elon would never admit it if it were true, and I don’t know how much market research Tesla does. Anecdotal, but a friend of mine in LA just canceled a $140k Model X order and ordered a Rivian because he just can’t stand the Musk any longer. 
    Oh, it's real. What, about 60% of Tesla's potential buyers are early stage adopters of electrifying everything. Not only do they want to buy EVs, they also want to buy solar panels and home batteries, also products that Tesla is selling. This heel turn he's doing with Twitter is turning off more than half the potential buyers of Tesla's products. Just not good.

What's worse is that he is the CEO and chair of the board of Tesla, and, he owns a controlling share (just over 20%) of Tesla, and the Tesla board and shareholders can not do anything without his approval (need 80% or more of Tesla shareholders to agree to do things). The problem is that he has been absent from Tesla for months. Tesla hasn't announced anything auto related in over 3 years. No new cars, say, like a 30k EV. The cars that were announced are 2 years or more late. The Roadster was announced in 2017 I think, and no news on that. The Semi was announced in 2017 and the first units are finally trickling out. The Cybertruck was announced in 2019 and may finally ship in summer of 2023. There will be several EV pickup trucks on the market for months to years by then. Went from having a lead of about a year to lagging by about a year. Tesla Solar has basically been forgotten. The Powerwall and Megapacks are second fiddle to the cars.

What's Tesla has been talking about for the last 2 years? An anthropomorphic robot of unknown market, and is still years away. Tesla probably has billions in liability due to not shipping Full Self Driving for 4 to 5 years now. They may finally be able to do it as they finally have reversed and are putting radar back into the cars, but there is about a million vehicles that won't be able to do FSD and will either need the radar or be refunded.

Lots of problems here. What's the Tesla CEO doing? Messing around with Twitter and not solving Tesla's problems. I sold all my Tesla stock last month.