Some Apple HomeKit setups are breaking after iOS 16.2 update

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple HomeKit users can upgrade the underlying architecture of their Apple Home in iOS 16.2, but it hasn't been a smooth transition for some.

Apple HomeKit has an architecture upgrade available
Apple HomeKit has an architecture upgrade available

Apple says that it has rebuilt the underlying architecture of HomeKit in iOS 16.2, which translates to improved performance. It is significant enough a change that users must jump through a few hoops to initiate the process.

After every device a person owns is updated to iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, macOS Ventura 13.1, watchOS 9.2, or tvOS 16.2, the user can update the Apple Home architecture. Of course, if multiple family members belong to the Apple Home, they all have to update their products too, or else risk not being able to control their home.

Once the updates are complete, Apple enables users to upgrade their smart home architecture with a few taps. This process should only take a few moments, followed by a message reading "Home Upgrade Complete."

Theoretically, that should be the entire process, and users should benefit from an upgraded HomeKit experience. However, some users have reported multiple problems with the process.

A broken home

Users might notice their devices stuck in an "updating" mode after the upgrade is complete. This status should resolve itself after a short period, leaving everything operating as before.

That isn't always the case, as some users are reporting many devices aren't resolving this "updating" status, or worse. There aren't any known fixes for these issues yet.

Stephen Robles, AppleInsider podcast cohost, saw many of his accessories were unresponsive after the update. He ultimately went through and manually re-added any product that wasn't responsive after several hours of waiting for the issue to resolve itself.

A HomeKit tale in three parts: pic.twitter.com/FNfq3MtDeA

-- Stephen Robles (@stephenrobles)

It's not clear what the issues are, or what commonalities there are between accounts of the issue. Robles reports that many of the products that needed a reset were WeMo or Leviton brands. Conversely, several AppleInsider staffers, including the author of this piece, didn't have any issues with upgrading his Apple Home -- even with WeMo switches present.

Neil Hughes, the former managing editor at AppleInsider, also reported issues with his setup, though perhaps much more chaotic. One of his user accounts became unresponsive.

He eventually decided the only path forward was deleting the home and starting over. He attempted the move on the Release Candidate beta, though that didn't make a difference for most.

Some users have suggested turning off the main breaker to remove power to all Apple HomeKit products and force a power cycle. It might seem a little extreme but it may get some devices out of limbo.

Apple presented the HomeKit upgrade as a finished product available to users in iOS 16.2. At this point, users should be aware that some maintenance may be required to get everything up and running. In a worst case, an entire HomeKit home would need to be rebuilt.

It isn't clear what is triggering these issues, and it could be related to multiple causes. AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for clarification.

Read on AppleInsider
mobird

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Moving your Home on a Release Candidate Beta takes balls of steel .  God bless you 
    neoncatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    The changes to HomeKit were a huge improvement for me–no more Siri confusion about the state of the home, but some of my devices took about 30 minutes after the home app launched to "update accessories" with no warning from the app that it might take that long. A lot of people probably thought the app locked up.
    twokatmewracerhomie3williamlondonAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    TIP: Make sure all your device firmware and device OEM apps are up-to-date.
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 29
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    HomeKit is sorely behind on many features that should be included. 

First, they need to have a clear way for users to access to logs. There is none. 

Second, they need to visually present the user what is expected with an automation. There's none. 

Third, they need to provide "Accessories" in sidebar which they don't. The accessories are hidden in "Home Settings" which make no sense at all. 

Fourth, when they need to rebuild HomeKit network, they need to have a "log" of all accessories. There's none. 

lkrupptwokatmewdewmeelijahgwilliamlondonravnorodomAnilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I can only report that I use iDevices exclusively for my home setup and have experienced no issues whatsoever with iOS 16.2 or before.
    Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I ran into this issue after I updated all devices to their latest respective OS releases and tried to invite my spouse to the Home. Tried waiting it out and attempting to use their mobile number instead of AppleID didn’t help.

Ultimately had to delete and recreate the home. Took a bit, but adding devices was as smooth as it has ever been and adding my spouse worked immediately thereafter.
    twokatmewappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 29
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    netrox said:
    HomeKit is sorely behind on many features that should be included. 

First, they need to have a clear way for users to access to logs. There is none. 

Second, they need to visually present the user what is expected with an automation. There's none. 

Third, they need to provide "Accessories" in sidebar which they don't. The accessories are hidden in "Home Settings" which make no sense at all. 

Fourth, when they need to rebuild HomeKit network, they need to have a "log" of all accessories. There's none. 

========

I have used HomeKit for 6 years and have 58 accessories setup in my Home  

What your asking for makes zero sense to me 
    edited December 2022 lolliverwilliamlondondave marshJanNLmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 29
    lkrupp said:
    I can only report that I use iDevices exclusively for my home setup and have experienced no issues whatsoever with iOS 16.2 or before.
    I use a combination of Philips Hue, lights and plugs along with some IiDevice plugs and everything is working fine after 16.2.
    twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 29
    What is the effect of or on older legacy devices that can’t update to the current OS? Do they lose access to HomeKit or does their existence on the network prevent the HomeKit upgrade altogether?
    gatorguymbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Based on limited diagnostic when one user of my Home hit the same issue, I believe it is related to older device(s) which is still under user account/profiling that is not updated to latest iOS/iPadOS/tvOS/watchOS/macOS yet the device(s) may no longer in the user’s possession.

Anyone hitting this issue should check their account profile (I think Apple Support app or iOS Apple ID section may lists all devices still tagged to user account). This Home architecture upgrade checks against all devices under user account.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Everything worked fine for me apart from my Eufy cameras. They are all unresponsive in the home app but still working in the Eufy app. Anyone else had similar issues?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 29
    My Home system got messed up with 16.1 and I have tried working with Apple Support for over a month.  All was working great under iOS 15 but when I installed 16 (not beta) it killed all my 11 Thread devices (Eve/Wemo/Nanoleaf) but all other 34 non-Thread devices are working fine.  So after numerous factory resets with still "no response" I gave up on all Thread devices and put them in storage.  Apple is not serious about smart home automation.
    williamlondonappleinsideruser
  • Reply 13 of 29
    My Nanoleaf bulbs had become very slow with the 16.1 update.  After the 16.2 architecture update they are now faster than ever!  However, I have now lost my family members as participants in the home and cannot add them, even though they are also updated on their devices and in their own “home.”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 29
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Hmm. Welp, guess I need to ask wifey for a new Mac Mini for Xmas, since my current one is a Late 2012 and is stuck with Catalina. Been planning to do this anyway. I have a fair number of Insteon switches etc. controlled via Indigo running on the Mini. Also use SecuritySpy to record cameras. Since Insteon are having problems surviving, I'm gradually moving to all Homekit. If I'm going that direction I need to have everything compatible and up to date. Checking AppleInsider deals page now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 29
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    AppleZulu said:
    What is the effect of or on older legacy devices that can’t update to the current OS? Do they lose access to HomeKit or does their existence on the network prevent the HomeKit upgrade altogether?
    The HK upgrade is still possible, Apple lists all your devices which need an update during the upgrade to the new “architecture“. When you don’t update these devices, some will be able to control the home still (with newer OS’s) and some older devices (I have an iMac 27 5K on Big Sur) can open the Home app but all HK accessories will show “unavailable“. So on these older devices the Home app is useless…

(Luckily I can still play music from these older devices to the HomePods in the Home app.)
    AppleZuluwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 29
    red oak said:
    Moving your Home on a Release Candidate Beta takes balls of steel .  God bless you 
    16.2 is available as ‘normal’ version already.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 29
    The option to expand the size of the geofence seems to have been removed. Now my floodlights no longer turn on until I’ve pulled completely into the garage. I want my floodlights to illuminate my driveway. How do you expand the geofence now??
    williamlondonappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 29
    JanNL said:
    AppleZulu said:
    The HK upgrade is still possible, Apple lists all your devices which need an update during the upgrade to the new “architecture“. When you don’t update these devices, some will be able to control the home still (with newer OS’s) and some older devices (I have an iMac 27 5K on Big Sur) can open the Home app but all HK accessories will show “unavailable“. So on these older devices the Home app is useless…

(Luckily I can still play music from these older devices to the HomePods in the Home app.)
    Thank you. This is what I was hoping the answer would be. The older device simply won’t “do” new HomeKit, but won’t prevent upgrading everything else to implement it. That makes sense and is acceptable. 

It seemed unlikely Apple would want the bad PR of forcing customers to buy possibly multiple expensive new devices just to accomplish the upgrade on other devices on the network, but I didn’t want to start the process only to find that out for sure mid-way through it. I appreciate the reply. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 29
    I suggest restarting all hubs first, which solved my problems except one iphone. Restarting iPhone solved that too. Don’t try to setup from scratch before restarting devices. Then give it some 30-60 minutes.  First restart the device that you prefer to be the main hub. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 29
    AppleZulu said:
    This is what I need to know. Will my old 5S (iOS 12) or OG SE (iOS 15) affect the functioning of my Home setup? Should I put them on another Apple ID? Or is just deleting the Home app and not using them with Home enough?
    edited December 2022 watto_cobra