New 15.5-inch MacBook Air rumored to arrive in early 2023

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited December 2022
Rumors continue to suggest that a new MacBook Air with a 15-inch display exists, and it is coming in the spring of 2023.

A larger MacBook Air could be on the way
A larger MacBook Air could be on the way

The 15-inch MacBook Air has been rumored since early 2021, but little has been shared about the potential machine beyond its display size. Now that the M2 MacBook Air has been released, rumors are beginning to solidify around the new larger product.

According to a paywalled tweet from display supply chain analyst Ross Young, the new MacBook Air would have a 15.5-inch display, a change from his previous 15.2-inch display prediction. It is expected to be released in the spring of 2023.

Leaker and analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has also shared details about an upcoming 15-inch MacBook Air. However, he believed it wouldn't go into production until late 2023, and it may not be called a MacBook Air.

When multiple rumors point to a product's existence, it usually means Apple is at least planning for the product's release. There are no guarantees that this MacBook will see the light of day, not until Apple announces the product and release window.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    I think this would be a very popular product. Most people don’t need all of the high-end features of the Pro laptops, especially given how good the M-series processors are, but most people do appreciate a larger screen. 
    sflagellkruppuraharablastdoorbloggerblogJapheywilliamlondonKTRTheObannonFiledoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 36
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    $1800?

Can they really drive it to $1600? Feels doubtful.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 36
    I know so many writers who’d jump on this. The MBP is too much (power & price) for most users, so an Air Max would be just the device.
    doozydozenAlex_V
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Finally a Goldilocks laptop for consumers. The current Air is too small and the 16 inch MacBook Pro too expensive - there is a whopping £ 1,200 gap between the two. So if this is priced at £1,800, I am in.

AniMilldoozydozenAlex_V
  • Reply 5 of 36
    Such a strange offering. Doubt that’s what it is. Probably a new “MacBook studio” or new iPad Pro. 

Don’t see a marker for a MacBook Air that size. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 36
    They could call it the “MacBook” 
    sflageldewmewelshdogAlex_V
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Such a strange offering. Doubt that’s what it is. Probably a new “MacBook studio” or new iPad Pro. 

Why do you doubt it? I would have bought it just right away. So some other people. The question is if there is a market for this and how much would it canibalize other sales.
    retrogustoJapheymacapfeldoozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 36
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    I'd also like to see a larger screen iPad Air. I don't need a fancy camera or M2 in an iPad, but I would like a 13" screen. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 36
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    urahara said:

Why do you doubt it? I would have bought it just right away. So some other people. The question is if there is a market for this and how much would it canibalize other sales.
    100%
    I just got a MBP16 inch. I needed the larger screen, but it is way overspeced for me. I mean, I’m gonna enjoy the heck out of it, but there is no doubt I would have saved hundreds of dollars if I had the option for a larger air—I would have had a heavier wallet but a lighter bag!
    bloggerblogdewme9secondkox2retrogustoAlex_V
  • Reply 10 of 36
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Count me in as well. Even as a developer, the MBP has way more power than I could ever need and I’d love a thinner laptop.
    bloggerblogdewmewilliamlondonJapheyAlex_V
  • Reply 11 of 36
    The MacBook Pro 16 M1 is a clear indicator that Apple design lost its way without the guidance of Jonny Ives.
    Compared to elegance and weight of the Intel 16 - that I have have, the M1 Pro is just a big hunk of overweight ugliness.

With t he energy sipping of the M1 chips, it would have still had substantial battery runtime had it maintain its form factor, after all a lap should be designed for portableily and use one lap... but not that beat.
    It reminds me of the British research ship that was nicknamed Boaty McBoatface and is similarly the shape that only a mother coudl love.

Anyway I do hope the MacBook Air 15.5 rumor is true as I need a larger screen - but would never buy the behemoth that is the MacBook Pro 16 M1
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Count me doubtful, but this would be consistent with Apple strategy of filling in price point gaps where they might be leaving money on the table. This would be a chance to upsell Air buyers who want a larger screen, but aren't going to pay the price of the MBP 16". I see this as the strategy behind the iPad 10--it fills a big price gap between the budget iPad 9 and the iPad Air, so Apple can upsell some of those budget buyers who were willing to pay for something more, but weren't going to pay the price of an Air. A 15.5 inch Air would also mirror the strategy of introducing the iPhone 14 Plus this year for buyers who wanted the bigger screen, but didn't want to pay the price of a Pro Max to get it. (Although I think the jury is out on how well the 14 Plus has actually sold.) 
    dewmewilliamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 13 of 36
     talking about the iPhones... also a problem with the new Phone 14 Pro  becoming overly thick and the camera humps out of control.
    I finally saw them last night in the flesh and what a disappointment.
    Yes the iPhone 9 or 10 were too thin, but really the 14 Pros have gotten out of hand
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 36
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Just like M2 Macbook Air runaway success; 15.5" Macbook Air will be another success.
    williamlondonsflagelnarwhalAlex_V
  • Reply 15 of 36
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    On the naming front, I'm in total agreement with those who don't see a reason for dragging along the "Air" moniker any more when simply calling it a MacBook is totally sufficient. Same thing on the iPad side of things. The early versions of the Air named products were somewhat niche because you knew you're were giving up a little something just to put maximum focus on lightness, portability, and minimalism.

Granted, Apple upset its own Apple cart with the introduction of Apple Silicon, which handed them back a huge chunk of power and cooling budget while also increasing performance at all levels. That's an incredible feat of engineering, but it really just defined the new baseline, which I believe should be the basis of the unencumbered "MacBook" name. If they're going to continue in the true spirit of SJ-Era "Airness" let's see another 30-50% or more reduction in overall weight to fill the now forgotten ultraportable niche instead of consigning "Air" to be a "Pro Lite" or what's become the jumbo-shrimp of product naming.

But for those who don't really care about product names, and who really does once they have one of these in-hand, a larger screen MacBook, MacBook Air, or jumbo shrimp would be a great mid-range Mac at a relatively affordable price. I've always loved the Air products and I'm at a point where I don't really need the brawn of any MacBook Pro because my desk-bound Mac more than fulfills everything I ask of it. The Apple Silicon factor, whether in A-series or M-series flavors, has made everything so much better that even the entry levels of each product line, Mac mini, MacBook Air, and iPad included, are very compelling products in their own right. The base satisfaction level is high and upgrading to move up from there is more about satisfying more niche and domain specific needs and requirements. Personally, I'd like to see Apple strive to reserve the "untralight and ultraportable" niche for their "Air" products, but it's their call to decide how to name and market their products and I'll buy the ones that best fit my needs, regardless of naming.

edited December 2022 retrogusto
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Give it a magsafe charging port and at least two thunderbolt 4 ports (one on each side). Can Apple release a computer with cutting edge wifi as well. Wifi 7 would be very nice. Even if it doesn't do all this, it will still sell very well from the slim chassis and larger screen.
    williamlondonwood1208
  • Reply 17 of 36
    mjpbuy said:
    The MacBook Pro 16 M1 is a clear indicator that Apple design lost its way without the guidance of Jonny Ives.
    Compared to elegance and weight of the Intel 16 - that I have have, the M1 Pro is just a big hunk of overweight ugliness.

With t he energy sipping of the M1 chips, it would have still had substantial battery runtime had it maintain its form factor, after all a lap should be designed for portableily and use one lap... but not that beat.
    It reminds me of the British research ship that was nicknamed Boaty McBoatface and is similarly the shape that only a mother coudl love.

Anyway I do hope the MacBook Air 15.5 rumor is true as I need a larger screen - but would never buy the behemoth that is the MacBook Pro 16 M1
    I have the 2019 16" intel MBP as well but I would take a new Apple Silicon MBP any day. Biding my time for a loaded M3 MBP hopefully released in late 2023 (more likely Spring 2024). If you want slim, this 15" Air is prob your target product.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    mjpbuy said:

You are in the minority regarding the MBP16. The MBP16 is considered Apple's best product. It's the best Mac certainly in a very very long time.

I do agree with you that there needs to be a 15" class laptop Mac from $1500 to $2000. Apple's been shoehorning the 2-port MBP13 in those price slots for basically 7 years now, and it's basically become upsell fodder now. It's the worst of the Apple Silicon Macs. If Apple comes out with the MBA15, that's going to be a nice product. Puts a lot of sales pressure on the MBP14/16 though. Apple will have to put in some great features in the MBP14/16 to get people to get them over a MBA15. Something more than miniLED and more compute. Not sure what, but they should come up with something if this MBA15 comes to pass.
    narwhal
  • Reply 19 of 36
    urahara said:

I doubt it because it doesn’t fit right in the product matrix. 

You have MacBook Air at the low end. A thin and light with just enough of everything. Then you have the 14 inch pro as a step up. Then you have the 16 inch at the high end. A nice trifecta. Perhaps the 15.5 inches will be the rebirth of the MacBook. But even that is strange as the pro has a 14 inch version. A 15.5 inch air doesn’t have a hole to fill or a reason to be. 

There have been rumblings of a larger iPad in the works. This screen could be it - unless Apple plans to increase the screen sizes of the Pro models further with a 15.5 inch low end and a 17” inch high end. That would be logical. Yet the new models are only a little over a year old. 

I’m going to stick with the iPad idea. Especially as Apple will likely leverage its pro apps on am series iPads in the near future. More real estate is better for video editing, etc. 

a MacBook Air with a little bit more screen just seems like an exercise in no point. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 36
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    dewme said:
    On the naming front, I'm in total agreement with those who don't see a reason for dragging along the "Air" moniker any more when simply calling it a MacBook is totally sufficient. Same thing on the iPad side of things. The early versions of the Air named products were somewhat niche because you knew you're were giving up a little something just to put maximum focus on lightness, portability, and minimalism. 

The whole Air moniker makes no sense.  They had the 12" MacBook that was 2 lbs while the 13" Air is 2.8 and the 13" MBP is 3.0, and the 14" MBP 3.5.  I was hoping for a 12-13" M2 Air that came in at around 2 lbs again - and could have outperformed the 16" Intel MBP that had been 4.3 lbs.  The fact that the 16" M1 gained weight ending up at 4.8lbs doesn't fill me with high hopes for a 15.5" Air, best case we could end up just over 4 lbs based on the other machines in the lineup.

loved my 12" MacBook as a portable - just toss it in a bag without worrying about whether it's worth bringing along - and with an M2 it would have been a killer replacement and machine in general. 🤷‍♂️ (I really like my 14" MBP too, fantastic machine, but as a portable the 12" MacBook was just perfection.)
    williamlondondewmeAniMill