iOS 16.2 causes problems, Eve Matter update rolls out, and more smart home news

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's release of iOS 16.2 has caused issues for some HomeKit users. We break down what's going on, as well as talk about Eve's Matter rollout, new products, and more on this episode of the Homekit Insider podcast.

HomeKit Insider
HomeKit Insider

The iOS 16.2 update brings new performance improvements to HomeKit users. Once users started upgrading their home's infrastructure post-update, errors started occurring, similar to ours during the beta process.

Eve started rolling at update out of its own, too. This update brings Matter support to Eve Door & Window, Eve Motion, and Eve Energy to those who apply and are approved by Eve. We tested this for ourselves and your hosts walk you through the Matter upgrade process and what it means for Apple Home users.

This week we also saw Airversa's upcoming humidifier. It has a clear top and is reminiscent of the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks that used to be on display in nearly every Apple Store.

Finally, we go hands on with the new Dexcom G7 glucose sensor and provide a mini review for the Leviton Scene Controller.

Links from the show

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Keep up with everything Apple in the weekly AppleInsider Podcast -- and get a fast news update from AppleInsider Daily. Just say, "Hey, Siri," to your HomePod mini and ask for these podcasts, and our latest HomeKit Insider episode too. If you want an ad-free main AppleInsider Podcast experience, you can support the AppleInsider podcast by subscribing for $5 per month through Apple's Podcasts app, or via Patreon if you prefer any other podcast player.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    16.2 didn’t break anything for my setup, but I also didn’t see any meaningful improvements in the reliability of my HomeKit devices. I have over 25 Hue lights, and routinely asking Siri to turn off all lights at night leaves one to three randomly turned on. Then I have to ask it again. 16.2 didn’t fix that, unfortunately. 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    heli0s said:
    16.2 didn’t break anything for my setup, but I also didn’t see any meaningful improvements in the reliability of my HomeKit devices. I have over 25 Hue lights, and routinely asking Siri to turn off all lights at night leaves one to three randomly turned on. Then I have to ask it again. 16.2 didn’t fix that, unfortunately. 
    Upgrading to 16.2 is not what causes problems. Once all devices you have connected to HomeKit have been upgraded, there is an additional step to update Home to a new architecture. This is where the problems come in. I have decided to wait to make this upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    heli0s said:
    I read another post somewhere from a user who said they had 58 devices connected. I associate this with the people who had 100,000 songs in their libraries and got all pissy because they were having issues. Some just take things to the limit and then over, then scream when it goes off the rails.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lkrupp said:
    heli0s said:
    I read another post somewhere from a user who said they had 58 devices connected. I associate this with the people who had 100,000 songs in their libraries and got all pissy because they were having issues. Some just take things to the limit and then over, then scream when it goes off the rails.
    if they are within the number of device limits it should work and the limit is 150.  AM Music limit is 25,000.  Not the same scenario at all.
    edited December 2022 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    After the iOS 16.2 infrastructure post-update in the home app, I don't get notifications anymore when I lock or unlock my door.
    watto_cobra