Apple shares details of AirTag firmware updates

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has updated its item tracker's firmware twice since November but didn't disclose what the updates entailed. Now, a new AirTag support article lets users see what's changed.

Apple's AirTag
Apple's AirTag

Apple updated the AirTag on November 10 to version 2.0.24. The update, detailed by Apple and spotted by 9to5Mac, enables Precision Finding to help users locate an unknown AirTag following them. The AirTag also will emit a noise.

The feature is part of Apple's commitment to prevent people from using an AirTag to stalk others.

Apple also updated AirTag on December 12 to version 2.0.36. This update fixed a bug where the accelerometer was not activating in certain scenarios.

While users typically have ways to update devices' firmware manually, there is no such option for AirTag. Instead, users have to wait for it to occur on its own.

You can check the firmware version of your AirTag via the Find My app on your phone. Once in Find My, tap the relevant AirTag, then tap the battery icon for the AirTag -- this will display the serial number and the firmware version.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    My AirTag is now two firmware updates behind. What do I do about it? I’ve tried the advice of leaving it near my iPhone at night, nothing. My Home Pod Mini updates by itself, why not my AirTag? If I take it to an Apple Store will they exchange it?

Update:

Well, spank my ass and call me Sally. I just checked again and it has updated to 2.0.36 less than two hours after I posted my rant. Go figure.
    edited December 2022 h2p
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Yep:,2.0.36

nice. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    All of mine have updated. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member
    They should do the same for AirPods Pro and regular AirPods if they haven't yet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    This is quite the annoying update. Now, every time I take my wife’s car, the AirTags on the keychain beep at me for a minute. I can only imagine what my kid’s class sounds like when a dozen of these start going off in most backpacks every day. 

Apple needs to add AirTags to family sharing. That’s been the most disappointing ’feature’ since I received my first set of AirTags. Why Can’t I choose to always ignore certain tags? At least let me ignore them for a week. 
    dewmemikeybabesAndy.Hardwakeappleinsideruser
  • Reply 6 of 14
    You can check the firmware version of your AirTag via the Find My app on your phone. Once in Find My, tap the relevant AirTag, then tap the battery icon for the AirTag -- this will display the serial number and the firmware version.

No, I'm on the latest iOS and AirTag firmware and there is no battery icon to tap on unless you have a low battery. In fact, you just tap anywhere where it shows the tags name/location/datetime.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Apple seems to be excessively spooked by the negative media coverage around the stalking potential of AirTags. If all products that have the potential for misuse were removed from the market or enveloped in “safety shields” we’d all be forced to use kindergarten scissors to cut paper and butter knives to cut steak. Oops, cutting steaks would still be too dangerous because of the potential choking hazard of solid steak pieces. I hope you like steak smoothies served in a sippy cup. 
    SHKwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dewme said:
    Apple seems to be excessively spooked by the negative media coverage around the stalking potential of AirTags. If all products that have the potential for misuse were removed from the market or enveloped in “safety shields” we’d all be forced to use kindergarten scissors to cut paper and butter knives to cut steak. Oops, cutting steaks would still be too dangerous because of the potential choking hazard of solid steak pieces. I hope you like steak smoothies served in a sippy cup. 
    There are people in this world who would lobby for legislation to do just what you predict.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    JP234 said:
    Well, we bought the 4 pack. The ones assigned to my wife are now at 2.0.24. Mine are still on 1.0.301. And I keep my phone plugged in overnight, with the AirTags sitting less than a foot away. And have always done so. Wonder what Apple is waiting for?
    Try making them beep one after the other in order to refresh BT connection. Also make sure your WiFi reception is good enough. Just  shooting in the dark…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    My AirTag is now two firmware updates behind. What do I do about it? I’ve tried the advice of leaving it near my iPhone at night, nothing. My Home Pod Mini updates by itself, why not my AirTag? If I take it to an Apple Store will they exchange it?

Update:

Well, spank my ass and call me Sally. I just checked again and it has updated to 2.0.36 less than two hours after I posted my rant. Go figure.
    Betcha there was something in iOS 16.2 which gets 'em updated faster (or at all).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I got 4/5 of my AirTags to finally upgrade by using find my and playing a sound when the tag is next to iPhone. The last holdout is not updating. 
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    The lazy update model that Apple employs for several of its products is obviously the right way to go for the vast majority of users. However, those of us who have a certain level of OCD about these kinds of device management things, or experience with device management in other domains, would really like to have management tool that lets us override the default behavior intended for the masses. I would love to have a tool or mode, like developer mode in Safari, that allows me to manually update all of my Apple devices from a single management console. I hate having to go to individual devices, especially Apple TVs, to manually kick off updates and perform certain management, maintenance, and configuration tasks.

I would pay for an Apple-developed tool that allowed me to perform more device management tasks for the devices I own and manage. The Home app may be a good place to stick this capability, i.e., a "Home Pro" or "Home Owner" version which could also incorporate support third party device support through an Apple-defined device profile model. Of course Apple will never do this so I'll just have to reconcile myself to accepting the dumbo model that's baked into the current Home app and running around the house every time Apple pushes out updates. I guess I could seek treatment for my need to have total control over this kind of stuff, but where's the fun in settling?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    y2any2an Posts: 189member
    While users typically have ways to update devices' firmware manually, there is no such option for AirTag. Instead, users have to wait for it to occur on its own.
    I wonder if this was a deliberate choice by Apple to prevent nefarious AirTag owners from skipping updates which addressed privacy/personal security issues. 
    watto_cobra