Xcode 14.2 released with support for iOS 16.2, macOS Ventura 13.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited December 2022
Apple has released Xcode 14.2, with the latest version of the development suite updated alongside the company's operating system releases.

Xcode
Xcode

As usual for Xcode, Apple has updated its developer tool to version 14.2, one that is available to download straight away. The update arrives at the same time as iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, tvOS 16, and macOS Ventura 13.1.

The release notes for Xcode indicates it includes Swift 5.7, as well as software development kits for the updated operating systems. There's also support for on-device debugging in iOS 11 or later, tvOS 11 or later, and watchOS 4 and later.

The release also resolves an issue with previews, where they could fall into the Xcode canvas when two files are viewed side-by-side, but only if one of them is in a Swift package.

There is one known issue with the release, where localized strings from an AppIntent may not display correctly in Shortcuts or Focus filter settings if the app isn't located in the Applications folder. The workaround for the moment is to move the app into that folder and the restart Settings or Shortcuts.

Read on AppleInsider
FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    For me Xcode almost always fails to install all the way. Installation gets to beyond 90%, and at some point the app switches back to “Update” in the App Store. I am wondering, what is going on.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    For me Xcode almost always fails to install all the way. Installation gets to beyond 90%, and at some point the app switches back to “Update” in the App Store. I am wondering, what is going on.
    Installed fine for me on an M1 MBP. I used to have problems like that with updates back in the mechanical HDD days, so I'd always go to developer.apple.com and download the full installer to avoid multiple downloads, but updates have worked well for me for the past few years.

I still wonder why SDKs can't be updated separate from Xcode itself though. I'm guessing it's because the App Store is only set up for app updates and not internal component updates. At least the size of the update isn't the full size of Xcode, but it'd be nice to be able to pick and choose which SDKs you need.

• Reply 3 of 5
    auxio said:
    Installed fine for me on an M1 MBP. I used to have problems like that with updates back in the mechanical HDD days, so I'd always go to developer.apple.com and download the full installer to avoid multiple downloads, but updates have worked well for me for the past few years.

I still wonder why SDKs can't be updated separate from Xcode itself though. I'm guessing it's because the App Store is only set up for app updates and not internal component updates. At least the size of the update isn't the full size of Xcode, but it'd be nice to be able to pick and choose which SDKs you need.

I don’t take any chances. I download the Xcode xip file directly from the developer portal. More reliable and much faster.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    auxio said:
    The game engine providers use a hub app to download the parts and it's much easier to manage. Installing updates would involve opening XCode Hub and installing the base app (editor, tools, compiler) and which SDKs you want and upgrade each separately.

The monolithic application bundle hides some useful apps inside it like the iOS Simulator in XCode (right-click show package contents) > Contents > Developer > Applications and FileMerge in XCode > Contents > Applications. Those apps are really useful without opening XCode and should really sit in a more accessible place like a folder in /Applications.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Why 16.2 not part of the bundle of xcode 14.2 if it supports it ?
    /Applications/Xcode-14.2.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/DeviceSupport is missing "16.2"....  bug ?