Drudge Report

enaena
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What do you guys think about Matt Drudge? He gets upwards of 9,000,000 hits a day.

Waddya think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I can't remember the last time I hit his site. The signal to noise seems to be too low.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Avoid.

Thank you
  • Reply 3 of 24
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Come on, Drudge ain't so bad.

Of course, I also read Counterpunch, so I'm not always a stickler for journalistic integrity.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    I don't understand some of the criticism I hear about the Drudge Report, which is essentially a portal site linking to lots of other media sites. What's wrong with that? Occasionally Drudge himself will post an "exclusive" story, but most of the time he's pointing to news stories reported elsewhere. He broke the Clinton/Lewinsky story after (IIRC) Newsweek decided to kill it. So you have to think he won over some conservative Clinton-haters there, or else Fox News wouldn't have given him a timeslot. In the buildup to the latest Iraq war and while the fighting was going on, the site tended to point out stories about people not agreeing with the war plan, etc. I'd say Drudge is pretty equal opportunity when it comes to newsgathering--links to a variety of media sources, links to op-ed columnists on both sides of the fence. Riffing on Fox News again, Drudge posts, you decide which link to click.

Dare I say fair and balanced?

Anyway, Clinton/Lewinsky aside, I can't think of any other stories that Drudge has scooped others on. I don't think his site is much different from, say, Fark or memepool or some such thing--links to stories people might like to read, with the occasional big break reporting when somebody important screws up.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I'm not always a stickler for journalistic integrity.

I wonder if you even know the meaning of the word integrity.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I wonder if you even know the meaning of the word integrity.

Yes.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I'm always happily surprised when he links to articles that are no in line with his conservative views. I'm not surprised when he links to pictures of aborted feteuses.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

I don't understand some of the criticism I hear about the Drudge Report, which is essentially a portal site linking to lots of other media sites. What's wrong with that? Occasionally Drudge himself will post an "exclusive" story, but most of the time he's pointing to news stories reported elsewhere. He broke the Clinton/Lewinsky story after (IIRC) Newsweek decided to kill it. So you have to think he won over some conservative Clinton-haters there, or else Fox News wouldn't have given him a timeslot. In the buildup to the latest Iraq war and while the fighting was going on, the site tended to point out stories about people not agreeing with the war plan, etc. I'd say Drudge is pretty equal opportunity when it comes to newsgathering--links to a variety of media sources, links to op-ed columnists on both sides of the fence. Riffing on Fox News again, Drudge posts, you decide which link to click.

Dare I say fair and balanced?

Anyway, Clinton/Lewinsky aside, I can't think of any other stories that Drudge has scooped others on. I don't think his site is much different from, say, Fark or memepool or some such thing--links to stories people might like to read, with the occasional big break reporting when somebody important screws up.

Are You Kidding Me?

Look at his goddamned page right now... he has a picture of Susan Sarandon giving the peace sign with the caption in capital letters: "Sarandon Movie on CBS Finishes Last Place in Overnights." The implication is clear.

What scares me is that you cannot see this is a conservative portal.

What about other people? They must really believe Fox News is "Fair and Balanced."
  • Reply 9 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Well, Drudge aint no New York Times or NPR, that's for sure.

And the Sarandon movie was quite awful. I hung with it for about an hour.

Actually, I don't even know Drudge. Never been there because I saw him once or twice on TV before wearing that stupid hat and talking like an idiot. Usually that's enough.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

I don't understand some of the criticism I hear about the Drudge Report, which is essentially a portal site linking to lots of other media sites. What's wrong with that?

There's nothing wrong with that, and that's exactly what it is. The fact that he picks a few stories to put on top pisses people off because they say that he's biased and "selective" -- at least he admits it, and gives folks the sources to read for themselves -- that's more than the "major" media does.

Part of the anti-drudge movement in the popular media is because he doesn't necessarily put on top of the stack the stories that the major media are promoting right now. He's smacked down because he's an upstart. The whole drudge phenomenon illustrates how f*cked up the major media is (how he was initially blacklisted and ridiculed, etc) and how screwed up the tyranny of political correctness can become.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    1. Political Correctness doesn't exist.

2. It's a CONSERVATIVE website! I could mention Pat Buchanan and some members here would insist he's a "LIBERAL DEMOCRAT."

Point driven home, I think.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

1. Political Correctness doesn't exist.

Oh REALLY? Do tell...

Quote:

2. I could mention Pat Buchanan and some members here would insist he's a "LIBERAL DEMOCRAT."

I seriously, seriously doubt it. Put the bottle down and step away from the keyboard because you're just being ridiculous now.

Quote:

Point driven home, I think.

Yes, but probably not the one you were hoping to make. Seek help.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I think he rocks--I love that he built his little empire himself, that he admits his biases and most of all I love his site design--clean, clean,clean and it looks great in every browser I use. It's all content--I often skip my own link collections when on someone else's computer and just use Drudge's.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    IIRC, the pictures were not of aborted fetuses but of a surgical procedure performed on an unborn child, with the child's hand grasping a surgeon's finger. I believe that was the dealbreaker with Fox News that led to cancelling Drudge's TV show.

And big deal about Sarandon. Who cares how badly the movie did. I can't imagine that there are too many TV viewers who had originally planned to watch the movie and then decided against it once they found out that Sarandon was in it. It's probably (I would hope, anyway) a bigger deal to conservatives that John Kerry skipped out on a soldier's funeral to attend a fundraiser. Drudge had a photo of Kerry and a link to that story earlier today when I originally posted in this thread, but that story is gone from the front page. As a supporter of the idea of replacing Bush with an elected official in 2004, I'm kind of interested in what Kerry has to say, but even I was a little disappointed that he didn't at least poke his head in the church. But I'm not losing sleep over Drudge moving that story off the site or Sarandon up in the queue--Drudge gets most of his news from the wire services, and the stories on there are constantly changing.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

Part of the anti-drudge movement in the popular media is because he doesn't necessarily put on top of the stack the stories that the major media are promoting right now. ............ The whole drudge phenomenon illustrates how f*cked up the major media is (how he was initially blacklisted and ridiculed, etc) and how screwed up the tyranny of political correctness can become.

amen to that!

If anyone thinks Political Correctness is dead---Drudge's site gets 9,000,000 hits a day (probably one of the busiest sites on the web) and all he can get for advertisers are the likes of NewsMax and The Washington Times. The Onion gets those neato Absolut Vodka flash ads and Matt is out there sucking 'hind tit.

As for the media, Drudge still doesn't exist---in spite of his ENORMOUS web traffic. If that isn't being blacklisted I don't what is.

As Ann Coulter said: "now the rabbit has the gun."

• Reply 16 of 24
    That's sick.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

As for the media, Drudge still doesn't exist---in spite of his ENORMOUS web traffic. If that isn't being blacklisted I don't what is.

What's the click-through rate on his current ads?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

What's the click-through rate on his current ads?

Don't be silly, this guy has a daily readership in excess of the The New York times (1,113,000) , the Wall Street journal (1,800,607), USA today (2,136,060), and the Washington Post (746,724\t) circulations COMBINED.

He is a, if not THE, major place people go for news and he isn't on anyone's RADAR?

Reality Check.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

That's sick.

What, a conservative babe totin' a gun?

Why, it's the sexiest thing I've ever seen.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

And big deal about Sarandon. Who cares how badly the movie did.

He ALWAYS gives the Neilson ratings for shows, networks and the box office for new movies. Nothing new here. Sarandon's movie maybe got a little higher profile just because she's been keeping a higher profile herself.

By the way, click again Shawn. Sarandon's picture is already gone. Scott Peterson has displaced her.