Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 81 of 252
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Question: What's out there now? I've heard about other music services that don't work with Macs. What are their pricing schemes? What kinds of music do they offer - do they have everything or are they limited? Do they use copy protection?
  • Reply 82 of 252
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Do you think that Apple will make a PC version of iTunes or will

musicmatch will be updated to take advantage of the service?
  • Reply 83 of 252
    how does one copy protect an mp3?
  • Reply 84 of 252
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

how does one copy protect an mp3?

One doesn't.. However, I think it's likely Apple will be using AAC for this download service.
  • Reply 85 of 252
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    some programs have Codecs that include copy-righting software and stuff.... the MP3's have to be encoded in a certain way with a certain Codec
  • Reply 86 of 252
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

Do you think that Apple will make a PC version of iTunes or will

musicmatch will be updated to take advantage of the service?

Merf! MAC ONLY, c'mon... that would be CRAZZZZY!
  • Reply 87 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

One doesn't.. However, I think it's likely Apple will be using AAC for this download service.

so that means that they wont work with current mp3 (hardware) players?
  • Reply 88 of 252
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    The iPod will never *FEATURE* video. The largest form factor for pocket portables that we'll be seeing will have about a 3x5 screen. Anything bigger won't fit in one hand or in a guy's pocket. And 3x5 just won't cut it as a video monitor. Not now, and not when we're surrounded by 50 inch HDTVs. Think, for example, of how long small lcd tvs have been around. And yet they've always existed as a niche device.

The iPod is JUST the right size. And so we won't see it grow larger unless there is a bulletproof reason for it to grow. Instead, we'll see feature creep and price drops. More capacity, expanded PDA functions...eventually the iPod will be able to store and display video...but it will never be marketed or sold AS a display device.
  • Reply 89 of 252
    producerproducer Posts: 283member
    Vivendi Universal is having an analyst meeting on April 29th 3pm Paris time...
  • Reply 90 of 252
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

The iPod will never *FEATURE* video. The largest form factor for pocket portables that we'll be seeing will have about a 3x5 screen. Anything bigger won't fit in one hand or in a guy's pocket. And 3x5 just won't cut it as a video monitor. Not now, and not when we're surrounded by 50 inch HDTVs. Think, for example, of how long small lcd tvs have been around. And yet they've always existed as a niche device.

The iPod is JUST the right size. And so we won't see it grow larger unless there is a bulletproof reason for it to grow. Instead, we'll see feature creep and price drops. More capacity, expanded PDA functions...eventually the iPod will be able to store and display video...but it will never be marketed or sold AS a display device.

No offense, but I think you just reversed yourself on the same post (regarding video capabilities). On your PDA functions comment, I think it is not in the iPod's future, but rather some sort of iPhone. But that's another topic.

8)
  • Reply 91 of 252
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I would like to know if the new iPods had anything to do with Dell at first dumping iPods and then resigning to resell them. It must be intriguing enough for Dell to still want to deal with the vaguerities of Apple.

Although I like the idea of watching trailers and music videos on a vPod and I think that should be the way for Apple to go, I doubt it will happen this month. I wonder if the iPod could have the ability to wirelessly search an Apple website (like web-enabled cell-phones) to download mp3's or AAC's. I suppose Airport Extreme and antenna are too big to fit in the iPod, but it would be great to search for music and download on a bus or anywhere else that isn't tied to a computer. Yeah, that's too much to ask.

Okay, well maybe the new iPods will have fiber-optic backlit technology.
  • Reply 92 of 252
    aaronsaarons Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Producer

Vivendi Universal is having an analyst meeting on April 29th 3pm Paris time...

This was scheduled far before any of these rumors came about. I believe it is just like the analyst meeting that comes right after Apple (or any other company) announces earnings. No big deal.

as
  • Reply 93 of 252
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Apple changed the contracts with Dell and the big boys (but not the smaller dealers), IIRC. They then signed the contract. But you do have a point...

low-fi
  • Reply 94 of 252
    maybe it was because all the new pod's had "dell sucks" engraved on the back by default.
  • Reply 95 of 252
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

maybe it was because all the new pod's had "dell sucks" engraved on the back by default.

LOL
  • Reply 96 of 252
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Reuters has also filed a report about the April 28 announcement. According to a quoted record exec, the music download service will initially only be available to Mac users.

7 days to go...

Escher
  • Reply 97 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Macs will be first, but I'd suspect that the music service will eventually be available to PCs, probably by Xmas. I have read on one of the rumor sites that the new iPods will be compatible with both Macs and PCs. No more separate editions. Also, remember reports about a dual cable for both USB and Firewire? Certainly makes sense if the new iPods will be dual compatible. Looking forward to next Monday for sure.
  • Reply 98 of 252
    I can't believe that an Apple music service would be Mac only. Record companies can't expect to turn the industry around by appealing to 5% of the PC market. There either has to be a Windows version of iTunes in the works or a PC counter part for the service. As far as a subscription service, it seems unnecessary. iTunes downloading should work the same way prints do in iPhoto. Put in your information once and pay for your downloads that way. I just hope that searching for music works a little faster than getting information from the Help viewer. I also can't see the reason for Apple to ship custom mix cds to consumers, the point of an online music service is to get rid of the cost of manufacturing CDs-the cost of burning CDs and printing album sleeves falls on the consumer.
  • Reply 99 of 252
    Quote:

Hilary Rosen, chairman and chief executives officer of the Recording Industry Association of America (News - Websites), the music trade group, said Apple's fanatical fan base could provide just the shot the music industry needs right now.

ahahaha thats great

Quote:

"It's good right now only for the Apple market, because frankly, that's how Jobs was able to persuade everyone to give him licensing deals," one executive said.

I guess maybe they see it as a testing of the waters, before going widespread, less of a risk for them.
  • Reply 100 of 252
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

And 3x5 just won't cut it as a video monitor. Not now, and not when we're surrounded by 50 inch HDTVs.

Erhm. If we're surrounded by 50 inch HDTVs (which we are not, if we are Europeans, although video projectors are quite dandy...), why not have the iPod connect to them easily? And the small screen would of course be used in those situations where you DON'T have a big screen. Like on flights, trains, out in the green, wherever.