Apple will hike nearly every battery replacement cost in March

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2023
The cost of replacing the battery in most of Apple's products will climb by between $20 and $50 starting on March 1, 2023.

When Apple introduced the iPhone 14 range in September 2022, it also raised the price of replacing the battery from $69 to $99. Now, it's keeping that $99 for the current models, but raising the price for all older ones.

The new increase does not affect users with AppleCare+, or ones whose iPhones are still under warranty. However, Apple's page for estimating the cost of battery replacement says all other prices are changing.

"The current out-of-warranty battery service fee will apply until the end of February 2023," says Apple. "Effective March 1, 2023, the out-of-warranty battery service fee will be increased by $20 for all iPhone models prior to iPhone 14."

For all supported iPhones with a home button, that means the cost will rise from $49 to $69. The oldest model Apple will replace a battery for is the iPhone 5.

From the iPhone X through to the iPhone 13 range, the cost rises from $69 to $89.

Price rise applies to Macs and iPads too

From the same date, Apple is increasing the cost of replacing a MacBook battery by even more. The MacBook Air cost rises by $30, while the MacBook Pro and MacBook fee rises $50.

• MacBook Air was $129, will be $159

• MacBook Pro was $199, will be $249

• MacBook (2016, 2017) was $199, will be $249

Replacing the battery in a regular iPad will remain at its current price -- ranging from $99 to $199 depending on model.

The current 6th-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro will also remain at its present price of $179 for a battery replacement. Similarly, the cost for the current 4th generation 11-inch iPad Pro will stay at $149.

But Apple is adding $20 to all other models, raising the cost of the battery replacement from $99 to $119:

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro (5th generation or earlier)

• 11-inch iPad Pro (3rd generation or earlier)

• 10.5-inch iPad Pro

• 9.7-inch iPad Pro

• iPad mini (6th generation or earlier)

• iPad Air (5th generation or earlier)

It appears that prices are being increased worldwide, with similar rises in local currencies.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2023 Consumer Electronics Show in person on January 2 through January 8 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The cost of replacing the battery in any iPhone older than the current generation, will climb by $20 from March 1, 2022.
    *cough2023cough*
    muthuk_vanalingamWhiskeyAPPLEciderappleinsiderusercaladanian
  • Reply 2 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Still a very good deal. 
    appleinsideruserdewme
  • Reply 3 of 14
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    I can't remember what the invoice said the last time I had an iPhone battery changed by Apple but they should break down the cost of the battery and the cost of replacement.

It's difficult to evaluate this price hike if they haven't revealed the price of the battery itself. 

Either way, the EU agreed on a provisional text last month for the updated Battery Directive.

It will be interesting to see if the confusion surrounding 'removable' and 'replaceable' has been cleared up with regards to the device containing a portable battery and the device's lifespan. 

Some early interpretations on previous drafts had assumed that if the battery was designed to last the entire lifespan of the product it would only need to be safely removeable. If the battery wasn't designed to cover the entire lifespan of the product, it would have to be both easily removeable and replaceable. That would mean absence of thermal energy, special screws etc to get to the battery. 

The Battery Directive is closely tied to the right to repair legislation that is also coming down the pipe which aims to set minimum requirements at the design stage of products to make sure they are designed to last and that consumers are provided with far more information than they currently have access to. 

In the case of batteries, they will contain a QR code to identify chemical composition, charge capacity etc. 

Larger batteries will have a passport containing all relevant information. 

Logically (as per WEEE) there will be no charge whatsoever to end users for recycling and safe disposal of batteries, the cost of which has been integrated into the purchase price of electrical and electronic equipment for years now. 

Maybe by 2025/26 if everything gets approved. 

edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 14
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    avon b7 said:
    I can't remember what the invoice said the last time I had an iPhone battery changed by Apple but they should break down the cost of the battery and the cost of replacement.

It's difficult to evaluate this price hike if they haven't revealed the price of the battery itself. 

Either way, the EU agreed on a provisional text last month for the updated Battery Directive.

It will be interesting to see if the confusion surrounding 'removable' and 'replaceable' has been cleared up with regards to the the device containing a portable battery and the device's lifespan. 

Some early interpretations on previous drafts had assumed that if the battery was designed to last the entire lifespan of the product it would only need to be safely removeable. If the battery wasn't designed to cover the entire lifespan of the product, it would have to be both easily removeable and replaceable. That would mean absence of thermal energy, special screws etc to get to the battery. 

The Battery Directive is closely tied to the right to repair legislation that is also coming down the pipe which aim to set minimum requirements at the design stage of products to make sure they are designed to last and that consumers are provided with far more information than they currently have access to. 

In the case of batteries, they will contain a QR code to identify chemical composition, charge capacity etc. 

Disgusting that the EU wants to curb innovation and dictate device design. They will get different designs of products compared to rest of globe

danox
  • Reply 5 of 14
    NDWNDW Posts: 4member
    avon b7 said:
    … In the case of batteries, they will contain a QR code to identify chemical composition, charge capacity etc. 

Disgusting that the EU wants to curb innovation and dictate device design. They will get different designs of products compared to rest of globe
    I bet you won’t be saying the EU directive is disgusting when you can easily swap out your battery. Corporations always make products that benefit themselves when they design them. If they can make a product that is easy for them to assemble and restricts the end user from repairing themselves then they will. Corporations that make gadgets that use batteries will still be able to innovate it’s just they will have a set of rules to follow to make their batteries more easily replaced and recycled. 

muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 6 of 14
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Apple has some really talented engineers, and I’m sure they could make the batteries a lot easier to replace, without adding significant bulk or fragility, if they wanted to. I’ve replaced a number of iPhone and MacBook batteries over the years, and it’s never a pleasure, but the charge for having it done by Apple is exorbitant. The trick now is water resistance, which makes me less inclined to do it with the newer phones. If they’re looking for a way to meaningfully improve their products, that would be a good area of focus, but I guess it’s not the most marketable feature, and wouldn’t do much for the bottom line. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    avon b7 said:

It will be interesting to see if the confusion surrounding 'removable' and 'replaceable' has been cleared up with regards to the the device containing a portable battery and the device's lifespan. 

The Battery Directive is closely tied to the right to repair legislation that is also coming down the pipe which aim to set minimum requirements at the design stage of products to make sure they are designed to last and that consumers are provided with far more information than they currently have access to. 

Nothing disgusting. No curbs on innovation and design dictation criteria are entirely reasonable. 

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20221205IPR60614/batteries-deal-on-new-eu-rules-for-design-production-and-waste-treatment. ;

Past history (WEEE, RoHS) shows that it is more likely that design decisions made to comply with EU legislation will be applied worldwide. 
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 8 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Greedy Tim! Greedy Apple!!!! /s
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    avon b7 said:

In the end a lesser EU phone.

• Reply 10 of 14
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    Apple has some really talented engineers, and I’m sure they could make the batteries a lot easier to replace, without adding significant bulk or fragility, if they wanted to. I’ve replaced a number of iPhone and MacBook batteries over the years, and it’s never a pleasure, but the charge for having it done by Apple is exorbitant. The trick now is water resistance, which makes me less inclined to do it with the newer phones. If they’re looking for a way to meaningfully improve their products, that would be a good area of focus, but I guess it’s not the most marketable feature, and wouldn’t do much for the bottom line. 
    Water resistance goes away, counterfeit batteries become a bigger thing, and theft for parts bigger too.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Do they guarantee continued water resistance after they replace a battery? I read once that that guarantee was only for brand new phones and after a repair is performed, even by them, it is no longer guaranteed. But I don’t know if this is correct.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Do they guarantee continued water resistance after they replace a battery? I read once that that guarantee was only for brand new phones and after a repair is performed, even by them, it is no longer guaranteed. But I don’t know if this is correct.
    That's a good question. I have the same doubt but as I understand it, there is no guarantee of ingress protection even from the factory. There is an IP rating but no guarantee for it. That said, I think (but can't confirm) that after an official warranty repair, the IP rating is still supposed to be valid. 
  • Reply 13 of 14
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    avon b7 said:

It will be interesting to see if the confusion surrounding 'removable' and 'replaceable' has been cleared up with regards to the device containing a portable battery and the device's lifespan. 

The Battery Directive is closely tied to the right to repair legislation that is also coming down the pipe which aims to set minimum requirements at the design stage of products to make sure they are designed to last and that consumers are provided with far more information than they currently have access to. 

Logically (as per WEEE) there will be no charge whatsoever to end users for recycling and safe disposal of batteries, the cost of which has been integrated into the purchase price of electrical and electronic equipment for years now. 

I am not into the topic. But it sounds interesting. 
    How is the product lifespan (you are referring to) is defined?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    urahara said:
    avon b7 said:

I am not into the topic. But it sounds interesting. 
    How is the product lifespan (you are referring to) is defined?
    I can guess but I'm not sure yet. I think it will be tied to more legislation (right to repair) which might aim to give users information up front about how long a product should last.

So, if we take AirPods as a possible example, the consumer would be informed of the lifespan of the product on the box, let's say two years. In that case, the battery would only have to be easily removable.

For something like AirPods Max which you would expect to last for way more than two years, the battery would have to be both easily removable and easily replaceable because you would not expect the stock battery to last as long as the product.

Remember, this is all guesswork on my part but it's interesting if it plays out in similar fashion because statutory warranties will not be reduced. If anything, they might be extended and that would leave manufacturers with a dilemma. Tell users up front that the product they are purchasing has a defined end of life (disposable) or change the design to make the batteries easily replaceable. 

These are issues that form part of wider EU directives that are very broad in scope and at different places on the legislative path. 

For example, in the case of software, it is extremely likely that manufacturers will have to declare up front how long devices will be supported (with the EU setting a minimum period) and updates will not be able to deliberately impede performance. Also, new functionality (as opposed to bug and security fixes) will be at user discretion and users will have the option to roll any new functionality back.

The DSA/DMA was a big step (by no means the first) but there is a lot more coming down the pipe as legislation tries to get to grips with digital lifestyles. 
    muthuk_vanalingam