Apple's mixed reality headset debut expected in the spring

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2023
Apple's long-rumored AR and VR headset could finally debut to the world in the spring of 2023, with a pre-WWDC introduction expected before a release in the fall.

A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]
A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]

Apple has been developing new headset-based products for quite some time, with a mixed-reality AR headset with VR capabilities strongly believed to be getting closer to launch. It is now thought that Apple could finally show off its hardware within months.

A 2022 postponement forced Apple into delaying a planned January 2023 introduction of the headset, claims Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, but now Apple is apparently aiming for a spring unveiling before WWDC 2023.

As for when it will reach consumers, the plans of a late 2023 release are still seemingly on track, specifically for the fall. Mass production for the headset was previously rumored to start in early 2023, which would match the believed timescale.

Apple has supposedly already shared the hardware with a number of "high-profile software developers" for testing, and for early access to develop the first wave of third-party apps. The operating system, codenamed "Borealis," will be referred to as "xrOS" publicly, while the headset is most likely to be released under the name "Reality Pro."

Gurman insists that the development of the headset is still ongoing, with kinks on the hardware and software sides as well as decisions on marketing plans being worked on.

However, as Apple is reportedly bringing in resources from other hardware and software teams, there is a warning that Apple's focus on getting the headset out the door could impact other product launches.

In a Tuesday report, new details about the headset surfaced, including that it will use small motors to automatically shift lenses inside the headset, that battery placement has been a concern, and hand-tracking controls.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Makes sense. They would need to announce it before starting mass production.
    KTR
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Are the pictured goggles for swimming, welding or welding while underwater?
    fred1
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I just don’t believe this is the direction Apple is going. Headsets are a very small market and I can’t see this as being Apple’s next big thing. It’s contrary to their tried and tested approach of dominating an established market with huge potential. I laughed at the OS “reality pro”. Really?! Doesn’t this seem counterintuitive. Look at Apple’s software efforts in recent years that limit iPhone/watch function depending on user chosen scenarios. I see people as wanting less tech intrusion into their lives, not slapping a big old computer onto their face. The meta verse is clearly a nonsense that is doomed to failure. 
    If the product does exist, and it may well do, I suspect it’s niche. I’m not holding my breath on this one. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I just don’t believe this is the direction Apple is going. Headsets are a very small market and I can’t see this as being Apple’s next big thing. It’s contrary to their tried and tested approach of dominating an established market with huge potential. I laughed at the OS “reality pro”. Really?! Doesn’t this seem counterintuitive. Look at Apple’s software efforts in recent years that limit iPhone/watch function depending on user chosen scenarios. I see people as wanting less tech intrusion into their lives, not slapping a big old computer onto their face. The meta verse is clearly a nonsense that is doomed to failure. 
    If the product does exist, and it may well do, I suspect it’s niche. I’m not holding my breath on this one. 
    AR is a future product/service, Apple HAS to do something with it and it makes sense. Right now it will be a 'headset' or bulky glasses, several years later it will be a refined product, maybe even a clip-on to existing glasses. There have been lot of AR glasses in active use in various industries for years, and there are way more applications possible. This is not about a metaverse. Getting a beta product out will make it possible to define where the market will go, as Apple has done before.

avon b7
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Where this has the potential to take over a market is gaming.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 144member
    I am sure Apple will come up with convincing use case before they launch. But at this time I am having a tough time imaging why I would need anything like this from Apple or anybody else.