Apple honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with free book, homepage tribute

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2023
Apple has turned over its whole homepage to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, and is also providing a free copy of "Stride Toward Freedom."

For the past eight years since 2015, Apple has switched its homepage to an single image of Dr. King, This year alongside the inspirational quote, Apple Books is offering a free copy of "Stride Toward Freedom."

The book by Dr. King is an account of the 1955-1956 Montgomery bus boycott, and concerns the conditions experienced by African Americans in Alabama at the time.

Apple Books is offering a free copy of
Apple Books is offering a free copy of "Stride Toward Freedom" for users in the US

"This is no time for apathy or complacency," begins this year's quote. "This is a time for vigorous and positive action."

As it now always does, Apple appends a single line to the quote, saying: "Today and every day, we honor his life and legacy of service."

The homepage tribute takes up all of the space usually given to promoting particular Apple devices. However, access to the rest of the site is available as ever through the banner menu, and Apple's regular sitemap footer.

Read on AppleInsider
ronndewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    I would encourage everyone to read or listen to King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech, from beginning to end. Too often, the most famous line from the speech has been offered, without context, to suggest almost the opposite of what Dr. King said in this speech. The dream is achieved through sincere and often uncomfortable effort, not by simply declaring it to have been achieved. 

fred1OferFileMakerFellerronndewme
  • Reply 2 of 4
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    AppleZulu said:
    I would encourage everyone to read or listen to King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech, from beginning to end. Too often, the most famous line from the speech has been offered, without context, to suggest almost the opposite of what Dr. King said in this speech. The dream is achieved through sincere and often uncomfortable effort, not by simply declaring it to have been achieved. 

I would go farther and encourage everyone to read his Letter from a Birmingham Jail. It’s long but it lays out the reason, the strategy, and the why he did what he did. It’s less often done because it’s long, quite long, but it’s as important.
    https://letterfromjail.com/
    AppleZuluOferFileMakerFellerronn
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Sadly, little, if anything, has taken place in the US to improve the lives of non-white people.  There have been the American Civil War, the 1960s MLK era, riots across the Country across the decades but no change.  It is the same with guns: every time there is a mass shooting there are demands for change and nothing happens. The US a democracy? No. Make America Great Again? It never has been and never will be. 
    dewme