Apple upgrades 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro with M2 Pro, M2 Max

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    rob53 said:
    You’re right. What other features would you want on a laptop (and please don’t say touchscreen).

Well I’d like a touchscreen MBP - but only so I can use an Apple Pencil for ZBrush sculpting on the MBP itself :) 

I think if/when Apple bring touchscreen to Mac it will only be for Apple Pencil.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Pretty underwhelmed. Been waiting to upgrade my 2019. Not even some new colours… 😔
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    beadlien said:
    Pretty underwhelmed. Been waiting to upgrade my 2019. Not even some new colours… ߘ䦬t;/div>
    Cue up the world's tiniest violin ...
    edited January 2023 TRAGradarthekatAlex1NwilliamlondonJaiOh81zeus423pscooter63watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 30
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Nice updates. I've bought MBPs for many years and my 2017 15" is getting long in the tooth. And yes the keybaord has been replaced, along with a swollen battery. However, with the innate speed and power of M silicon, I feel that it's time for a 15" M2 Macbook. I no longer need all the Pro features or M2 Pro/Max chips. I do however, want the larger screen as that is my preference. As an old person with aging eyes, the real estate is appreciated. The question is would Apple do this, or would it eat into MBP sales too much? My opinion is that an M2 Macbook would be a big seller and any MBP cannibalization would be offset by those sales.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    TRAGTRAG Posts: 53member
    So much for the „MBP with M2 delayed once again“-rumors, I suppose.

I pulled the trigger in December replacing my i2017 iMac 5k with a 16“ M1 Max + screen and with the discount I got plus the price hike here in Europe I totally don‘t regret not to have waited.  The only thing I catch myself occasionally still doing is reaching up formte keyboard to double tap a word, or move the cursor on the screen, like I‘m used to do on my iPad/magic keyboard combo. So much for pristine screens as well, I suppose ;-)
    Wonkothesane lives in California. You must be an imposter! ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Pricing is getting ridiculous. It seems that Apple releases updates now just to be able to bump prices.

Paying 2.740 USD in Europe for the cheapest 14" laptop with a big ugly square dent in top of the screen? No thanks Apple
    edited January 2023 williamlondonelijahg
  • Reply 27 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Appleish said:

So just a speed/spec bump with no physical changes or new features? My 16-inch MBP M1 Max is still near the top.

Although, I'll admit. I have color-matched MagSafe charging cable envy on the new models.

Yes, correct.  As anyone would expect.  Imagine how pissed you’d be if it WAS a major upgrade. 
    pscooter63watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Still rocking out my PowerBook G4!
    watto_cobraravnorodomtyler82
  • Reply 29 of 30
    TRAG said:
    So much for the „MBP with M2 delayed once again“-rumors, I suppose.

I pulled the trigger in December replacing my i2017 iMac 5k with a 16“ M1 Max + screen and with the discount I got plus the price hike here in Europe I totally don‘t regret not to have waited.  The only thing I catch myself occasionally still doing is reaching up formte keyboard to double tap a word, or move the cursor on the screen, like I‘m used to do on my iPad/magic keyboard combo. So much for pristine screens as well, I suppose ;-)
    Wonkothesane lives in California. You must be an imposter! ;)
    No, that‘s my twin ;-)
    watto_cobraTRAG
  • Reply 30 of 30
    rob53 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    In Steam's own hardware survey, 92% of people are using CPUs with 8 or fewer cores, meaning most people are using Ryzen 7s. We can safely say that M2 Max will be more powerful than 92% of personal computers.

However, 8-core is only considered as mid-tiers.

Meanwhile, the best-selling chip from Intel is the Core i5, which is at least 10-core.
    Who cares about Intel chips. Other than the old Mac Pro nothing Apple sells new runs on Intel. Try putting an old Intel MBP on your lap for an hour. Your legs will be on fire.  
    And that’s the game. Apple is outperforming Intel to the point Intel has to sacrifice longevity, sustained performance, and battery life. Meanwhile the Mac runs the same speed plugged in or on battery, is still faster in app usage like like video editing and scrubbing, photo editing, and lasts Waaaay longer while maintaining a safe thermal profile that ensures you max lasts lasts a long time instead of having to buy a new cpu/GPU/logic board every 2 or 3 years if you’re a power user.
    welshdog