AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max get new firmware update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2023
Apple released a new firmware update for the AirPods lineup with unknown bug fixes and performance improvements.

New firmware for AirPods has been released
New firmware for AirPods has been released

The update is designated to be for most of the current AirPods lineup, including the AirPods 3, first-generation AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max. The new version number is 5B59, up from 5B58.

The two models that didn't get updated are the original AirPods, and the second-generation AirPods Pro.

Apple hasn't provided any detailed release notes for the firmware update. It is expected to contain the usual bug fixes and performance improvements.

How to check AirPods firmware version

Apple doesn't provide a way to install new firmware versions for devices such as AirPods directly. However, it is possible to check the current firmware version.

1. Open the Settings App.

2. Select General.

3. Select About.

4. Select the AirPods currently connected to the device.

5. A menu that shows relevant device information, including the firmware version, will appear.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Honestly, what the actual EXPLETIVE with these mystery airpod updates? You have no control over getting them--none--and you can't know what they're for. This from the company that markets consumer privacy as a core value. "Hey, we're going to install firmware updates on your devices, not give you an opt out choice, not tell you when it will happen and not tell you the purpose of the updates." 
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73beowulfschmidtcgWerks
  • Reply 2 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    charlesn said:
    Honestly, what the actual EXPLETIVE with these mystery airpod updates? You have no control over getting them--none--and you can't know what they're for. This from the company that markets consumer privacy as a core value. "Hey, we're going to install firmware updates on your devices, not give you an opt out choice, not tell you when it will happen and not tell you the purpose of the updates." 
    If you follow the link on your iPhone, it lists the firmware updates and this one states "bug fixes and other improvements".  What more do you want? Do you think they installed malware on your headphones when you weren't looking?
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    charlesn said:
    What the actual EXPLETIVE does consumer privacy have to do with Apple seamlessly improving our AirPods and routinely keeping them up to date free of charge?
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 10
    charlesn said:
    If you follow the link on your iPhone, it lists the firmware updates and this one states "bug fixes and other improvements".  What more do you want? Do you think they installed malware on your headphones when you weren't looking?
    It would be nice to know what got 'fixed' or 'improved' or what features got changed or removed, and would also be nice if Apple would stick to their own guidelines and not use "bug fixes and other improvements" as update messages.
    edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingamelijahgbeowulfschmidtcgWerksPhobos7
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I don't know why the description of how to check the firmware is so different on my iPhone 11, but I have to go to 
    1 Settings 
    2 Bluetooth 
    3 select info my AirPods 
    4 read "version" -which is firmware version
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    michelb76 said:
    charlesn said:
    It would be nice to know what got 'fixed' or 'improved' or what features got changed or removed, and would also be nice if Apple would stick to their own guidelines and not use "bug fixes and other improvements" as update messages.
    They generally don't publish a list of bug fixes for anything, beyond well-known major issues. 
    Phobos7
  • Reply 7 of 10
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Hmm, yeah, it would be nice to know what it addresses. I’ll guess I’ll just have to wait and see if it somehow magically fixes the incessant crackling on my AirPods Pro. (I love them, but it sure is crappy Apple won’t support such an expensive product with an obvious defect!)

My firmware version doesn’t match either number in the article. I think maybe each type of product has its own firmware versions?
    Phobos7
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Hmm… Seems that a more descriptive update notice would offer nothing more than BRAGGING RIGHTS. I agree with MichelB Apple has always (however misguided) made my machine better.  While the R&D is truly impressive and necessary; I will presume those guys dont come cheap.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    They generally don't publish a list of bug fixes for anything, beyond well-known major issues. 
    Sure, but with the amount of longstanding bugs (some have survived years of OS updates) in both iOS and MacOS, it would be nice if this behaviour changed. Right now we can only assume nothing gets fixed, you just get a new OS version with new bugs and hopefully not the older bugs that affect you.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Phobos7 said:
    Hmm… Seems that a more descriptive update notice would offer nothing more than BRAGGING RIGHTS. I agree with MichelB Apple has always (however misguided) made my machine better. …
    Yeah, it isn’t just Apple. I hate this cutesy ‘marketing department’ trend of non-informational update release notes. A lot of companies are going even further, adding insult to injury with the, “We stomped some bugs, and made it run faster.” type notes.
    muthuk_vanalingam