HomePod software updates brings new features to every model

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple may have announced the second-generation HomePod today, but there's plenty of new features coming to existing models with software version 16.3 soon.

New updates for the whole HomePod lineup are coming soon
New updates for the whole HomePod lineup are coming soon

There are three HomePod models on the market with varying features and chipsets, but they all still run the currently shipping software version 16. The next update, version 16.3, is expected to arrive by January 27, and it contains multiple user-facing changes.

The HomePod mini and new HomePod have built-in temperature and humidity sensors that'll be activated by the update. Users with multiple HomePods across their home will be able to see the current temperature and humidity of each room within the Apple Home app.

Siri is also getting more powerful with new commands and response protocols. Users can set recurring home automations just by speaking to Siri, and actions that don't have an obvious visible response will end with a tone once completed.

Apple has remastered the ambient sounds to be more immersive on HomePod. They're also discoverable when building automations or setting alarms in the Home app.

Audio tuning for spoken content has also been improved across the larger HomePod models. The original HomePod also has finer control over volume at lower levels.

Apple is also opening up Find My data to Siri on the HomePod. Users will be able to ask for the locations of friends and family if it is actively being shared.

These refinements are coming with HomePod software update version 16.3. It will be released alongside iOS 16.3 and the other operating systems.

Read on AppleInsider
mike1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Apple may have announced the second-generation HomePod today, but there's plenty of new features coming to existing models with software version 16.3 soon.

The HomePod mini and new HomePod have built-in temperature and humidity sensors that'll be activated by the update. Users with multiple HomePods across their home will be able to see the current temperature and humidity of each room within the Apple Home app.

Apple has remastered the ambient sounds to be more immersive on HomePod. They're also discoverable when building automations or setting alarms in the Home app.
    It will be nice to have these additional sensors in the Home App. I will have to find a new use for my Eve Room in the Bedroom now. Also, I will likely have to change the room that my Eve Weather shows in in the Home App. I have it outside the Kitchen window and always ask Siri, “What is the temperature in the Kitchen”. With 16.3 there might be some confusion due to my HP mini in the Kitchen.  I’ll just place the Eve Weather in the Garage room in the Home App when this goes live I guess.

I can’t tell you how much I have been looking forward to having the ambiance sounds being available for automations.  I have a goodnight scene that plays white noise from the iPad on the night table.  The best I have been able to do is play a playlist from Apple Sleep, but there are gaps and big volume differences between the tracks. The ambient sounds are really well done and offer endless, seamless playback which is ideal for sleeping.
    lolliverAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mbenz1962 said:

It will be nice to have these additional sensors in the Home App. I will have to find a new use for my Eve Room in the Bedroom now. Also, I will likely have to change the room that my Eve Weather shows in in the Home App. I have it outside the Kitchen window and always ask Siri, “What is the temperature in the Kitchen”. With 16.3 there might be some confusion due to my HP mini in the Kitchen.  I’ll just place the Eve Weather in the Garage room in the Home App when this goes live I guess.

I can’t tell you how much I have been looking forward to having the ambiance sounds being available for automations.  I have a goodnight scene that plays white noise from the iPad on the night table.  The best I have been able to do is play a playlist from Apple Sleep, but there are gaps and big volume differences between the tracks. The ambient sounds are really well done and offer endless, seamless playback which is ideal for sleeping.
    Is this the new stealth quid pro quo from Apple...?   Always on listening...?  Check your settings for 'Siri - learn from this app'... Even if one turns Siri 'off'...

I can tell you as a life long audiophile I will stick with analogue tech that focusses on the physics of sound, still works after half a century without a single 'upgrade' and can be repaired by any independent electronic expert...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-0gNUw3QNM

... and in a compact format I recommend the legacy analogue Kloss design by Tivoli Audio ...

... and in a portable the Libratone Classic with dual ribbon tweeters for hybrid stereo from a single speaker, and while largely app dependent there is an analogue external input jack, notably and conspicuously absent in (many/most) Apple products - is tethering of listening the 'price' of Apple now ...?

SpiPod 2.0 ... ?
    edited January 2023 Alex1N
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Any outdoor HK accessories I have in a room called "outside". I'd think for an outdoor weather sensor, that'd make more sense than just sticking it in any random HK room...
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Would have been great if they could be used as Bluetooth speakers! The sync issues with video are ridiculous over WiFi. What a waste.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Wow, and I’ve had a few Eve sensors sitting in my Amazon cart waiting for me to pull the trigger… That is so cool! I forgot about the supposed hidden temperature and humidity sensors from the Mini launch a few years ago! I’ve got 5x of these suckers total across 3x floors! *Clears out Amazon cart haha
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra