Layoffs in some of Apple's retail channels have begun

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2023
AppleInsider has learned that Apple has started to lay off non-seasonal employees in its retail channel outside of Apple Stores.

Apple has yet to lay off employees
Apple has yet to lay off employees

The layoff news was first disclosed from an email to AppleInsider. The email -- which we have since verified through other sources -- says that some Apple retail channel employees who work in places like Best Buy stores have received a thirty-day notice about their rights as it pertains to a layoff.

Best Buy and Apple will hire seasonal employees to deal with a push of demand from consumers. Those staffers' contracts have already expired, and we have confirmed that the layoffs are not from that labor pool, as they are already gone.

It's not clear what percentage of the workforce is affected. It's a notable enough volume of firings to be able to glean the information from multiple sources, however.

A second part of the initial email suggests that Retail Customer Care employees will be notified later on Friday, and over the weekend. We could not verify independently that this will happen, however.

So far, Apple has yet to make public disclosures of any large layoffs, unlike other Big Tech companies. However, in November Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company is "being deliberate" and slowing down the hiring process.

"What we're doing as a consequence of being in this period is we're being very deliberate on our hiring," he said. "That means we're continuing to hire, but not everywhere in the company are we hiring."

"We think you invest your way to it," Cook continued, saying that Apple is investing for the long term and doesn't believe "you can save your way to prosperity."

Other companies are choosing mass layoffs. For example, Microsoft plans to lay off 10,000 workers and Google will cut 12,000 of its workforce over the coming weeks.

Amazon's layoffs are worse than initially expected, with a report on January 5 saying the total will exceed 18,000. Employees targeted by the layoffs included those in the devices business, recruiting, and retail operations.

Facebook also chose to cut its manpower in 2022 with wide layoffs as well.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Doesn't surprise me even though most Apple Stores are usually filled while other computer type stores are either out of business or almost empty. Most people are simply buying online, whether it's through Apple, Amazon or major businesses like B&H (not sponsoring them but huge in NYC). Most Apple Stores will stay around until people decide not to go there anymore. I've actually purchased a few things, including picking up an iPad, at an Apple store but usually purchase online and have it delivered to my door. Cost less than driving 200m RT to buy at the store with higher sales tax.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Madbum said:
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck
    Union contracts can protect members from layoffs, ensure members get a better package if they are laid off and require that they are rehired of the employer starts hiring again 

So unionized employees are in a far better auto-aim at the moment. 

Fantastic self own your part. Congrats!
    ronnelijahgbaconstangdanoxhammeroftruthbonobobFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 19
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Not Apple Store staff. These are at places like Best Buy per the article. 

some Apple retail channel employees who work in places like Best Buy stores”
    edited January 2023 Bart YCluntBaby92watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 19
    “ Apple has started to lay off non-seasonal employees” & “ It's a notable enough volume of firings”

Layoffs and firing are two different things. The words are not interchangeable. 

elijahgBart YbaconstangCluntBaby92hammeroftruthwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Madbum said:
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck
    Union contracts can protect members from layoffs, ensure members get a better package if they are laid off and require that they are rehired of the employer starts hiring again 

Protect unnecessary jobs and their expense and be forced to rehire them instead of better options when the need arises. That just sounds great.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Madbum said:
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck
    Every entity, whether it is a business like Apple or persons like employees, has the right to negotiate a deal that is in their best financial interests. That’s the whole essence of capitalism. It is up to the individual entities to assess their risks vs returns.
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamdanoxhammeroftruth
  • Reply 8 of 19
    mike1 said:
    Madbum said:
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck

Protect unnecessary jobs and their expense and be forced to rehire them instead of better options when the need arises. That just sounds great.
    Are you and Madbum in some sort of competition to say the dumbest thing possible in this thread?
    ronnroundaboutnowelijahgbaconstangmuthuk_vanalingamCluntBaby92danoxhammeroftruthsphericFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 19
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,256member
    Even healthy trees have a few dead branches. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Madbum said:
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck

If Apple decide to layoff workers due to economic conditions, no union will
    be able to stop them lol. You over estimate the NLRB

Applr of course will not agree to anything that prevents union workers from getting layed off under any condition.

I guess they can strike? Lol, what will Apple do to find people who can show people how to use IPhones and macs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mike1 said:
    Madbum said:
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck

Are you and Madbum in some sort of competition to say the dumbest thing possible in this thread?
     No are you? Do you think this is a great time to set up unions and make demands? Did your mom forget to give you a brain?

they can negotiate but Apple doesn’t have to agree to anything more than they give their non-union workers! So they can strike if they want like Pilots? Steel workers?

Apple will shake in their boots if they strike! I mean how will Apple ever find people who can show people how to use iPhones and macs?

edited January 2023
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Madbum said:
    mike1 said:
    Madbum said:
    Towson Union employees:

let’s make more demands! 

Good luck

No are you? Do you think this is a great time to set up unions and make demands? Did your mom forget to give you a brain?

they can negotiate but Apple doesn’t have to agree to anything more than they give their non-union workers! So they can strike if they want like Pilots? Steel workers?

Apple will shake in their boots if they strike! I mean how will Apple ever find people who can show people how to use iPhones and Macs?

Congrats! You won!
    hammeroftruthronnFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 19
    JuteJute Posts: 1member
    As one of the terminated employees I’ll share this. We were Channel Sales employees usually with 5+ years at Apple. We were terminated for “Business Reasons” not performance based. Although we knew our “Partners”, named in the article, were not fairing well in the current economic environment we were told “Apple doesn’t fire people. Apple finds new jobs for them just like we did when CompUSA closed”. Many times I was told “If something did happen at our Partner company Apple would just move you to another Partner not fire you”. All of this was bullshit. Apple is trying to avoid negative press right now. I suspected these Channel layoffs are but a start. It seems they are doing it in small chunks across many departments, these layoffs are estimated, by my former co-workers, to be between 50-100 people. Spread across all work groups or divisions the number keeps the headlines from reading “Apple fires 10,000 employees”. 
    gatorguyronnFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Jute said:
    As one of the terminated employees I’ll share this. We were Channel Sales employees usually with 5+ years at Apple. We were terminated for “Business Reasons” not performance based. Although we knew our “Partners”, named in the article, were not fairing well in the current economic environment we were told “Apple doesn’t fire people. Apple finds new jobs for them just like we did when CompUSA closed”. Many times I was told “If something did happen at our Partner company Apple would just move you to another Partner not fire you”. All of this was bullshit. Apple is trying to avoid negative press right now. I suspected these Channel layoffs are but a start. It seems they are doing it in small chunks across many departments, these layoffs are estimated, by my former co-workers, to be between 50-100 people. Spread across all work groups or divisions the number keeps the headlines from reading “Apple fires 10,000 employees”. 
    I’m sorry to hear that happened to you. I know how valuable you were to Apple’s bottom line. I hope you find a job where you’re valued soon. 
    Jutewatto_cobraronnFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Jute said:
    I am sorry for your job loss. Blame the FED, crazy Government spending , not Apple.

As for negative press, actually not really, Google and Microsoft announced huge layoffs and were cheered by CNBC and stock went up…

And they keep mentioning Apple as the only company with no major layoffs 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Madbum said:
    Jute said:
    I am sorry for your job loss. Blame the FED, crazy Government spending , not Apple.

As for negative press, actually not really, Google and Microsoft announced huge layoffs and were cheered by CNBC and stock went up…

Fed chairman Powell was planning to raise interest rate in 2020. He was forced by Trump to drop interest rate even to negative in January 2020.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Madbum said:
    Jute said:

Fed chairman Powell was planning to raise interest rate in 2020. He was forced by Trump to drop interest rate even to negative in January 2020.
    Powell raised rates in 2018 and caused a December 2018 crash. Trump was right to call him out on that. Powell soon slowed the pace of hikes until 
    rates were at 2.25 when Covid hit in march 2020

say what you will about Trump , the guy is a problem solver. Remember 2015 when North Korea was shooting rockets like every week, Trump got in, talked to him, no more rockets.

I think we would already have peace in Ukraine now if Trump still in there.

and I voted for Biden….. sorry!!
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Madbum said:
    Madbum said:
    Jute said:

Powell raised rates in 2018 and caused a December 2018 crash. Trump was right to call him out on that. Powell soon slowed the pace of hikes until 
    rates were at 2.25 when Covid hit in march 2020

say what you will about Trump , the guy is a problem solver. Remember 2015 when North Korea was shooting rockets like every week, Trump got in, talked to him, no more rockets.

I think we would already have peace in Ukraine now if Trump still in there.

and I voted for Biden….. sorry!!

You are wrong!

2019 Fed Rate Cuts: Mid-Cycle Adjustment

FOMC Meeting DateRate Change (bps)Federal Funds Rate
    October 31, 2019-251.50% to 1.75%
    Sept. 19, 2019-251.75% to 2.0%
    Aug. 1, 2019-252.0% to 2.25%

The Fed cut interest rates by a quarter of a percentage point three times in 2019 in what Powell called a “mid-cycle adjustment.” In plain English, the Fed was easing rates midway through the typical expansion-to-recession business cycle.

In 2019, the U.S. and Chinese were in conflict over trade—a so-called “trade war”—and the Fed was concerned that the conflict would harm the economy and push up unemployment rates. Three modest rate cuts in the second half of 2019 had a positive effect on the economy.