2024 Mac mini will keep same design, says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
The same day that Apple launched the 2023 Mac mini, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo says he expects no form factor redesign in a 2024 model.

Apple has only now launched its revamped Mac mini, but Kuo wants to point out that he predicted 10 months ago that it would keep its existing design.

Without making any specific predictions about the processors to be used in the next Mac mini, Ming-Chi Kuo now says that the 2024 model will look the same, too.

(1/2)
My new prediction for next new Mac mini is similar to the one I made about ten months ago. I think the new Mac mini in 2024 will likely remain the similar form factor design. https://t.co/na1Z0DDUpA

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Kuo is a little more specific about future editions of the MacBook Pro, though again he wants to stress that he predicted the current design back in August 2022. He was right about the design and the MacBook Pro using 5nm processors, but he expected the launch in Q4 2022.

Alongside showcasing his 2022 tweet, Kuo goes further with an obvious prediction of 3nm chips in the 2024 MacBook Pro. He expects a release of that model, which would replace today's release, in the first half of 2024.

TSMC is currently starting to produce 3nm processors, and they have previously been reported as being planned for a future M3 processor.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Keeping the same design - which is perfectly fine by the way - allowed them to drop the price from $700 to $600 which is absolutely huge, because $600 is basically the starting point for good Intel and AMD general productivity desktops (12th gen and 13th gen Intel Core i5 and their AMD equivalents). There is actually no reason to buy an Intel Inspiron or HP Envy now unless you need x86 software (which to be fair includes a lot of us). Of course, if you need more than 8GB RAM then that is totally different: a 16 GB DDR5 RAM stick costs $50 on sale, which makes a $600 8 GB RAM desktop PC ... a $650 24 GB RAM one. 

The Mac Mini is now the best deal in computing by a mile. Giving that up just to be able to say that you put it in something the size of an Apple TV makes no sense. 
    watto_cobraracerhomie3muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 3
    This Mac Mini shell has aged gracefully. The 2012 design holds up very well even today. Apples early entry and perfection of Unibody aluminum design with the 2010 Mac Mini was great. I still have a Late 2008 Unibody MacBook in the family for Zoom calls.Gigabit Ethernet makes it rock stable. Excellent product. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 3
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Ok, but since when has Apple updated the Mini on a yearly basis? I’d be surprised if the Mini were updated at all before 2025 or even ‘26