Early previewers praise new HomePod's 'just wow' audio

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    My original stereo-set HomePods sound amazing, I always stare at them thinking how the heck does all this sound come out of those small packages. I am glad Apple finally fixed the bugs that plagued a stereo set working with the AppleTV, about time Apple! Sheesh!
    Spitbath
  • Reply 22 of 65
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    DAalseth said:
    igorsky said:
    DAalseth said:
    So in a controlled, closed environment, a hand picked assortment of reviewers listened to a small selection music that Apple picked. 

Not really an unbiased test. I’ll wait for a broader assortment of reviews. 
    Yeah I'm sure that'll sway your already-formulated opinion.
    I think it will have great sound. The first gen did and this one has been updated so it should. I’m just saying that a stage managed press event isn’t going to produce unbiased reports in the press. Let someone get one or two of them, put them in their home and see how they sound then. That will be a real test. This was a stage managed press event and means very little. 
    Why assume any type of marketing would be unbiased? Do you think that Apple events are portraying images, videos, and stats in a light that makes the new products look bad? Has anyone stated that there isn't a bias innate to Apple controlling the marketing? The article made it quite clear that Apple picked the songs.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    If they could be used wired, they could be for vinyls, gaming, Blu-ray, computers, small live performances or anything. Would’ve loved a pair by the TV, but it’d only work with the AppleTV. I think it’s unfortunate. And I must add to that… their commercial is so creepy. Getting more and more creepy to be honest, these virtual home environments where everything is Apple. 😬 
    cgWerkswilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Still no Spotify integration, still the same or similar lack of Siri features. Unless Apple is going to go hard on these, this one is just as dead as the original one. I have the original one, and no Apple Music. It's a great speaker I guess. For a little bit more money you can get way better ones, that work with almost everything.
    cgWerkswilliamlondondewme
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Spitbath said:
    hmlongco said:
    sflagel said:
    I use paired original HomePods for AppleTV sound (we get everything via Apple TV, including terrestrial channels) and it is fantastic. I would upgrade to the second generation if they could be paired with HP minis for full surround sound. 
    Ditto, but I'd also want a "BassPod" subwoofer system to go along with it. The HPs did a good job with a lot of things, but simply can't compete w/o a subwoofer.

I mean, Apple could sell a kit with a couple of HomePods, a couple of minis, and a BassPod for, what, $1999?
    So this kit would include a $1203 BassPod!?
    Physically because of the components? Or just because Apple wants them be so incompatible (because of the software)?
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 26 of 65
    michelb76 said: For a little bit more money you can get way better ones, that work with almost everything.
    Such as?
  • Reply 27 of 65
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Phobos7 said:
    My HP Original, kind of like a first issue, but not, still plays music very efficiently, and that’s outdoors.
    My minis have what I believe is a short in the power cable.
    I’m glad to hear your HP is working fine. I’m sure many are. I’ve just heard of too many issues in my small circle of owners to be comfortable in terms of reliability (and, that has been made worse my Apple not supporting my AirPods Pro. I’d like an AirPods Max, but their lack of service has me hesitating).

palegolas said:
    If they could be used wired, they could be for vinyls, gaming, Blu-ray, computers, small live performances or anything. Would’ve loved a pair by the TV, but it’d only work with the AppleTV. I think it’s unfortunate. …
    I guess I (we) just aren’t ‘smart speaker’ target audience, but this seems like such a no-brainer. They’d be so much more useful if they weren’t streaming only. I also don’t care about the Siri aspect at all, but I can just not use it. How they do audio is what interests me, but maybe I’m much better off putting that money into an amp and some speakers anyway… or just good headphones. (I keep hoping one day the family will play audio into a room instead of everyone listening to their own devices via earbuds.)

michelb76 said: For a little bit more money you can get way better ones, that work with almost everything.
    Such as?
    I’d be curious as well, from someone with some experience in audio systems. I’ve heard people say Sonos One or such, but I’m more curious how it might compare - as well - to similarly priced amp/speaker combos, as I don’t need a smart speaker.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 65
    foregoneconclusion said:
    Such as?
    I’d be curious as well, from someone with some experience in audio systems. I’ve heard people say Sonos One or such, but I’m more curious how it might compare - as well - to similarly priced amp/speaker combos, as I don’t need a smart speaker.
    I’ve been eyeing the new Pulse M from Bluesound:  

https://www.bluesound.com/products/pulse-m/

Yes, I realize the price differential is fairly significant, but the company is known for delivering solid products with very good sound. I’ve been waiting to see some reviews I’d have faith in before purchasing.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Wonder if you could use the 1st gen HomePod with the new gen 2 model as a pair. Would you see a major difference in audio from one to the other?

No you can only pair two HomePod models of the same generation 
  • Reply 30 of 65
    Wait until it poops the bed and Apple says nothing is wrong with but can replace it for 80% the cost of a new device. 
    williamlondondewmebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 31 of 65
    If they had a broader ecosystem of speakers I could be interested in these 

but a TV setup is an essential for me. Needs to work with any tv / cable tv inputs as well as Apple TV 

and also the form factor really needs to be soundbar. I just don’t have the space next to my tv for these 
    williamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 32 of 65
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    IMHO the (original) HomePod is too thumpy. I compare it to Sonos 5, 1, and Arc, which are balanced or natural. (However a Sonos Sub introduces unwanted thumpiness. For example, outdoor sporting events often lack wind filters and this produces whiffling of the Sub.)
    cgWerks
  • Reply 33 of 65
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    These HomePods , unlike the Mini, are Dolby Atmos capable , when paired with Apple TV 4K.

So essentially you can get yourself a better than average Dolby Atmos home theater setup for $700

and if you already have the Apple TV 4K… $600

Of course with added benefit of it being a home assistant
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 34 of 65
    cgWerks said:
    I’d really love a pair, but w/o audio in, it’s a no-go. And, I wonder if they solved the problem with a seemingly high percentage of the original ones breaking? They are way too expensive if they only last a couple of years (and Apple won’t stand behind them, just like they haven’t for my crackling AirPods Pro).
    Audio in? Why? Best use of these is pair with Apple TV 4K wireless 
    edited January 2023 boxcatcher
  • Reply 35 of 65
    kkqd1337 said:

but a TV setup is an essential for me. Needs to work with any tv / cable tv inputs as well as Apple TV 
    Er, if you can get the sound into your TV, HomePod can play it https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207117
    Works a treat for me.
    williamlondoncgWerks
  • Reply 36 of 65
    kkqd1337 said:

and also the form factor really needs to be soundbar. I just don’t have the space next to my tv for these 
    If you use Apple TV 4K, that is how you need to use these. Set them up from Apple TV, you don’t need anything else.

cable TV input? What Do you mean? Like a coax cable?
  • Reply 37 of 65
    XedXed Posts: 2,546member
    kkqd1337 said:

Out of curiosity (and no judgment), why are you still using the old style cable setup?

While I'm more than fine with on-demand streaming options, I know several people who still want the classic allotment of local and "cable"-ish channels, but I have been able to get them to switch to on-line options accessed via the Apple TV. Everyone is happier about it due to the better UI, lower overall cost, and additional features (like server-side recordings of shows with YouTube TV). Of course, decent internet speeds are required, but typically if you can get cable TV to your home your ISP is also getting up triple-digit Mb speeds for a reasonable cost.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 65
    Skeptical said:
    Wait until it poops the bed and Apple says nothing is wrong with but can replace it for 80% the cost of a new device. 
    Second "pooping the bed" post of yours, is this your thing?
    macxpressSpitbath
  • Reply 39 of 65
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Skeptical said:
    Someone is butt hurt....You've been posting this everywhere as if this was a major issue. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Just wish they’d enable more than stereo pairing them.