iPhone 15 Pro may use thinner curved bezels for display

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2023
The iPhone 15 Pro will have thinner bezels than the iPhone 14 Pro, and have curved edges, a leaker claims, with the non-Pro models also gaining the celebrated Dynamic Island feature.

The iPhone 14 Pro display.
The iPhone 14 Pro display.

Apple's 2023 updates to the iPhone are, as usual, anticipated for the fall, and the rumor mill is flowing. However, as with the iPhone 14 Pro, it seems that the iPhone 15 Pro will be the model to look out for.

According to a source of reliable leaker "ShrimpApplePro" on Twitter, the iPhone 15 Pro will have "thinner bezels with curve edges," departing from the existing fairly flat and uniform appearance for the range. The leaker specifies that the bezels will be curved, but the display itself will stay flat.

Well I have the result for the display design of the iPhone 15 series.
- all iPhone 15 series will have the same display sizes as iPhone 14 series
- pro 15 will have thinner bezels with curve edges, display is still flat tho, only the bezels is curve

-- ShrimpApplePro (@VNchocoTaco)

On the range in general, all iPhone 15 models will apparently have the same display sizes as their iPhone 14 counterparts. This is fairly logical for Apple, since it can reuse designs, processes, and components for another year, saving itself money at the same time.

The non-Pro models will also benefit from the curved edges, though it may be more apparent a change on the Pro generation. The standard models will also have Dynamic Island, a feature introduced in the iPhone 14 Pro.

The same Dynamic Island cutouts will be used in the new generation, the leaker's source claims, with the same Ceramic Shield system also being used. However, there doesn't seem to be a difference in the camera hole, which may indicate there won't be any camera upgrades this time around.

The source also described the iPhone 15 Pro Max as being "very beautiful," with the bezel thinning and curved edges said to create the same effect as the screen on an Apple Watch.

"ShrimpApplePro" has a reasonably good leak history, including one prediction where the Apple Watch Series 8 was said to not receive a redesign, a leak that was deemed accurate when Apple launched the new model. The leaker was also one of the first to propose the iPhone 15 could have a new enclosure design with more curved edges, in a posting from November.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    iPhone 15 looks like my next upgrade. Can't say I'mm thrilled about the curved edges - I like the iPhone 4 block look better - but I suppose it is fine. Only 9 months to wait to see what this baby looks and acts like. 
    watto_cobraRonnyDaddyOfer
  • Reply 2 of 12
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    JP234 said:
    No word as to the potential USB-C port here.
    Was confirmed by Apple long ago.
    watto_cobraOfergrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    eightzero said:
    JP234 said:
    No word as to the potential USB-C port here.
    Was confirmed by Apple long ago.
    Where?
    fred1watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Really? Yawn. It must be the thinnest bezel ever. Bla bla
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I find my iPhone 14 Pro a big heavy slab with humongous lenses. Apart from that it works like a charm. 

Thinner and lighter would be my suggestion. 
    edited January 2023 dewme
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Lighter Pro models is welcome news. If there is news or rumor about iPhone 15, better be new things like USB-C or not, two-way satellite messaging. under screen touchid, etc ? Rest like little more curve corner or mm thinner is nothing big deal for customers.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    It will have a smaller Face ID sensor. Smaller bezels, rounded corners, better battery, under screen Face ID and touch screen. Faster Wi-Fi too. It will be their best iPhone yet. Oh and it will levitate to do selfies and recordings while it follows you. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,111member
    JP234 said:
    eightzero said:
    Good links, and I've seen them, but it's not "confirmed" until Apple confirms it. Probability about 99.9% though.
    Did you read the first article?:
    Apple's vice president of worldwide marketing confirms that Apple will swap out the Lightning connector for USB-C to comply with EU regulations.”
    grandact73
  • Reply 10 of 12
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    JP234 said:
    fred1 said:
    JP234 said:
    eightzero said:
    Good links, and I've seen them, but it's not "confirmed" until Apple confirms it. Probability about 99.9% though.
    Did you read the first article?:
    ”Apple's vice president of worldwide marketing confirms that Apple will swap out the Lightning connector for USB-C to comply with EU regulations.”
    Has there been an official statement from Apple that iPhone 15s will have USB-C ports yet? I must have missed it. A marketing VP is not an official Apple spokesman. Sure, it's more than likely to be true, and I'm glad for it. Apple should migrate the AirPod line to USB as well.
    Apple wouldn't say that as they don't talk about future products. Joswiak didn't "confirm" in a positive sense such as say iPhones will have USBC in 2023. What he said was Apple will comply with regulations. That's what businesses have to do.

Joswiak is SVP of marketing. Marketing in Apple parlance is not "advertising". To them, marketing is determining what features a product should have so that customers will buy the product. Advertising for that group is like a small part of their job if it is at all. When people say Apple is successful because of "marketing", it's not an insult to them, it's an affirmation. Regulations are obviously a part of every product. So, his word has a lot of weight and Apple's PR/comms team didn't correct.
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    I find my iPhone 14 Pro a big heavy slab with humongous lenses. Apart from that it works like a charm. 

Thinner and lighter would be my suggestion. 
    Absolutely. The iPhone 14 Pro Max is a hunka hunka pocket stretching techo-wizardry. But with a grippy case, it’s still somewhat manageable by many folks with large meat hooks. Based on the last few rounds of megaPhones I do think Apple may be setting us up for the introduction of an iPhone Air, which would be a thinner and lighter, but not necessarily smaller (mini) form factor with some but not all of the “Pro” features. The main impediment is battery technology.

I know I’m in the minority, but I hate the protruding camera lenses. Even after slapping on a thickish case, one that doesn’t neuter MagSafe, the damn camera warts still stick out way beyond the case. Arggg! So now the screen wiping cloth I carry with me serves two purposes, degreasing the screen and protecting the camera lenses when I use the phone on a flat surface. 

Apple may as well call the iPhone the iCamera because photography is now the dominant function that dominates the product’s overall design. Yeah, the iPhone still makes calls, it’s in there somewhere between all those protruding camera humps. Maybe it’s time to dial it back a bit.