How about iLife for the PC?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Why doesn't Apple make iLife software for the PC?

It would bring them extra revenue and I'm pretty sure those on the PC side or those who use both Mac and PC like me would love to use it on their PC's.

Often people complain that software thats available for the PC is not available for the Mac, now it goes the other way!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by coolmac

Why doesn't Apple make iLife software for the PC?

It would bring them extra revenue and I'm pretty sure those on the PC side or those who use both Mac and PC like me would love to use it on their PC's.

Often people complain that software thats available for the PC is not available for the Mac, now it goes the other way!

This should be moved to DH. Also most of the iLife is based on Quicktime and tied directly to OS X (iPhoto, iDVD) so porting it would be really hard. And iLife is one of the big selling points of Macs. This would be a foolish move.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Way OT, but I think Apple should make some sort of Keynote viewer program for the PC, so that people can present Keynote Pres that they transfer to a PC without having to export to Powerpoint and losing the flashy transitions (that's what happens right? Never used Keynote)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I would like to see Apple come out with a PC version of Keynote, but I doubt that a lot of people would use it, especially with PP. Anyway, it looks like that they are going to be coming out with a Word killer for Mac and probably a Excel killer as well. Its good that Apple is developing more s/w. Kudos.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

This should be moved to DH. Also most of the iLife is based on Quicktime and tied directly to OS X (iPhoto, iDVD) so porting it would be really hard. And iLife is one of the big selling points of Macs. This would be a foolish move.

Quicktime is not a problem, as it is on Windows as well, but yeah, the Mac OS X powered thing is a big deal, as many parts of iLife are (iPhoto is quartz powered, iDVD has the G4 to speed up encoding)....

if iLife is avaliable for PC's, why would people buy Macs? I mean, all the great software is on the PC's, why pay more for a nice computing experience? I can burn CD's with three clicks! 8)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Duh. iLife == selling Macs. iLife for Windows == less compelling reason to "switch."
  • Reply 6 of 9
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    ????]Originally posted by coolmac [/i]

[B]Why doesn't Apple make iLife software for the PC?

Then waht would be the point of continuing the switch campaign?

Apple isn't about to make life easy for Pc slackers.

If they want a life they should get a Ilife from buying a fully housed Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Making iLife for Wondows-based PCs would be suicide, IMNSHO. The reasons seem pretty obvious. Hardware sales are what drive profit for Apple, not piddly software like iLife.

Moving to Digital Hub...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

Way OT, but I think Apple should make some sort of Keynote viewer program for the PC, so that people can present Keynote Pres that they transfer to a PC without having to export to Powerpoint and losing the flashy transitions (that's what happens right? Never used Keynote)

Export to QuickTime, playback on PC. Transitions preserved.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Even if you could use iLife on Windows... *shudder*

Why would you want to?