iOS 16.3 now available with support for new HomePod, security keys

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has released iOS 16.3, bringing support for the newly-announced HomePod and physical security keys used for two-factor authentication.

iOS 16.3 is now available
iOS 16.3 is now available

Following a beta period that started on December 14, the update for iOS 16.3 is now downloadable to iPhone. It doesn't appear to have many user-facing updates, though it ensures compatibility with the new HomePod and its features.

The update includes support for hardware security keys, such as those from Yubico, that can be used for two-factor authentication for an Apple ID. Those with a notable public presence will benefit from the feature, such as journalists, celebrities, and politicians.

Advanced Data Protection has now launched globally. Users who wish to activate the iCloud security feature outside of the United States will need to ensure every device on their Apple ID is running iOS 16.3.

The larger set of updates for this release cycle are focused on HomePod. Users will be able to see the temperature and humidity sensors found in the new HomePod and HomePod mini within the Home app.

How to install iOS 16.3 on the iPhone

• Open the Settings app.
  • Select General.
  • Select Software Update.
  • Select "Update to iOS 16.3."
If an iPhone is set to automatically update, it will handle downloading and installing iOS 16.3 on the user's behalf.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Does anyone know why you download the update, it verifies the update, then when you tell it to install it verifies the update again? I mean I’m all for security, but literally it just did that,
    Alex1Ndarkvaderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    DAalseth said:
    Does anyone know why you download the update, it verifies the update, then when you tell it to install it verifies the update again? I mean I’m all for security, but literally it just did that,
    Yeah, not only that, but I really appreciate the convenience of pressing the "Download and Install" link, and then having to press the "Install" link after it's downloaded.

And has anyone else noticed that a Yubikey is just a number, albeit a long one?  A never changing number?
    edited January 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Did I miss something? My HomePods haven’t updated and I can’t see anything different in the climate tab of Home. 
    bluefire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Skip this one due to lack of any value.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    MBear said:
    Did I miss something? My HomePods haven’t updated and I can’t see anything different in the climate tab of Home. 
    The article just says it assures compatibility with HomePod. AFAIK there’s no front facing changes we’d notice.
    dutchlord said:
    Security updates are ALWAYS worth updating for. 
    edited January 2023 MBearAlex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    DAalseth said:
    MBear said:
    The article just says it assures compatibility with HomePod. AFAIK there’s no front facing changes we’d notice.
    dutchlord said:
    Security updates are ALWAYS worth updating for. 

So this ISN’T in this release then:

The larger set of updates for this release cycle are focused on HomePod. Users will be able to see the temperature and humidity sensors found in the new HomePod and HomePod mini within the Home app.

why the heck is it in the article then!  V confusing for a simple Bear. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    dutchlord said:
    There is other news source indicating there are security fixes with this update,  so there is value
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    MBear said:
    Same here. My HomePods say there isn’t any update and that they are current at 16.2 after updating my iPhone to 16.3. 
    MBearDavidIcewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Does this include the upgrade to HomeKit’s new architecture that was released with iOS 16.2 for just a day?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    DAalseth said:
    Could it be checking the integrity of the downloaded files to make sure they are not corrupted and all is there?   Not a security check like you may be thinking.
    dewmeAlex1Nlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    DAalseth said:
    Yeah, not only that, but I really appreciate the convenience of pressing the "Download and Install" link, and then having to press the "Install" link after it's downloaded.

And has anyone else noticed that a Yubikey is just a number, albeit a long one?  A never changing number?
    I've seen several variations in behavior when it comes to user initiated updates. The second irritation mentioned above is probably the most common, where it asks you a second time to install when you've already indicated you want to download and install. I know some of these instances occur because the update process will actually pop up a dialog with a timeout asking you whether you want to "Install Now?" If you're not sitting there staring at the screen and do not respond quickly, it stops and changes the settings form text from "Learn more ..." to "Install Now." You later return to your device and see that it did not perform the installation on your device, like what the ...?

I've also seen cases where it will download the install image a second time, as well as repeating the verification process.

I use Apple's Content Cache to speed up the update process across several Apple devices, but for OS updates it actually has little impact because I have decent download performance and the time required to complete the "Preparing" phase of the update process dwarfs every other phase in the installation.

I suspect there are a number of data integrity checks, "dirty flags" that can get set by other on-device processes, along with some timeouts/expiries that cause the process to "phone home" more than once just to make sure that everything is good to go before the final installation process kicks off. FYI - dirty flags are a way to indicate that "something" has changed or may have changed in a managed resource and needs to be verified again to ensure it's still in a consistent state. I suspect that repeated Verifications are being triggered because some other process/thread on the same device made a change that the installer may be concerned about and since the last consistency check was done by the installation process. With hundreds or even thousands of threads still running during the update process, this isn't outside the realm of possibility. Better safe than sorry. 

These seemingly redundant behaviors are somewhat of an annoyance, but I can tell you firsthand that installation programs and processes are one of those things that have so many ways to fail and so few ways to succeed. Double checking and been very exacting in terms of maintaining consistency is totally justified to achieve a successful outcome. Being right matters more than being fast.

Apple's track record with me has been nearly perfect. The only time I ended up with a device in a bad state after installation, Betas included, was the very first macOS Beta that introduced APFS. It totally hosed my system because APFS had not yet been certified to work with Fusion drives and my iMac had a Fusion drive. Fortunately I only lost a few hours of my time, but lost no data, which is the only acceptable outcome. When you play with early Beta releases, you should be prepared for this. Fortunately, or unfortunately, Apple's update and installation process is extremely stable and reliable so even those who play fast & loose with Beta releases very seldom get burned, at least based on my experience and compared to other platforms.  
    muthuk_vanalingamracerhomie3beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    peterhart said:
    MBear said:
    Same here. My HomePods say there isn’t any update and that they are current at 16.2 after updating my iPhone to 16.3. 
    Ditto! I also tried turning off Advanced Data Protection, resetting the HomePods, and checking again. No luck. Patience is a virtue…
    edited January 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    DavidIce said:
    peterhart said:
    MBear said:
    Ditto! I also tried turning off Advanced Data Protection, resetting the HomePods, and checking again. No luck. Patience is a virtue…
    Speaking of, does anyone know more about the ADP? I turned it on via my iPad but on my iPhone it still shows as turned off. All devices are updated to 16.3. Should I reboot my phone? Does it take time to propagate across devices? I know little about it… 

[u] Nevermind - apparently I have to update my Apple TV and even my old Windows computer’s iCloud for Windows app before it turns on. 
    edited January 2023 dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Regarding a physical security key, from where or whom does one obtain one?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    So what do I have to do to ask the temperature at the HomePod mini?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    arinker said:
    Does this include the upgrade to HomeKit’s new architecture that was released with iOS 16.2 for just a day?
    I thought it was meant to include that. But I don't see the option to update to the new HomeKit like there was in 16.2
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    peterhart said:
    MBear said:
    Same for me. Also, I haven't seen the update for AppleTV yet. So maybe those updates haven't been released yet. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    lkrupp said:
    Regarding a physical security key, from where or whom does one obtain one?
    Yubico is the maker of the YubiKey branded keys. They make several variations that mostly differ based on the interface style and connectors they support. 

I’m still in the exploratory stage with hardware security keys because I’m waiting to see how the whole system works and how portable the standards compliant keys are between various platforms. 

I use 1Password on Mac, iOS, iPadOS, and Windows and would like matching compatibility for hardware keys. I also use Microsoft Authenticator. I also have a mix of devices that support Lightning, USB-A, USB-C, and NFC. 

Can you start to see the challenges here? I don’t want to carry a hardware key and a pocketful of dongles or need more than one hardware key because there is no common interface denominator across all devices. I’m not even sure I need a hardware key if my iPhone with FaceId and PassKey support is effectively a hardware key. 

I’ve watched a few YouTube videos about hardware keys but I still have more questions than answers, especially without knowing exactly how Apple’s latest implementation is going to work. Yubicon has been selling hardware keys with Lightning connectivity long before the latest iOS and iPadOS releases so what has changed?

edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    What happened to the first read of this article that stated iOS 15 was still available and getting updates?

Yeah, no, I updated all devices but my main iPhone sometime after 16.0.1 or so, and 16.x has been buggy, so I opted to wait on my main iPhone, but, ever since 16.2 came out, we can no longer see security updates for ios15!! Why can’t Apple support the older less buggy OS like they do macOS??? Whatever they’re b.s. is, I’m tired of it, this incremental upgrades adding features every so many weeks or months and having beta type issues is getting ridiculous. They need to go back Ito making it just work again. They need to stop listening to YouTubers who can afford to buy and have every single brand and type of phone talk about what they want with iPhone, what we want is not first buggy crap, we want the refined innovations that made Apple Apple. They need to get off the yearly cycle schedule, and incremental additions of features and go back to making it all work before releasing the product. We don’t want to be first beta testers, we buy Apple for it to be solid and for their privacy policy.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Anyone else have 16.3 change all of their Lutron switches to default Caseta name in default room?  I have 125 switches to rename and relocate now. Thank you Apple for you continued superb updates!  
    williamlondon