HomePod software version 16.3 is here alongside tvOS 16.3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2023
Apple on Tuesday has rolled out HomePod version 16.3 and tvOS 16.3 with support for the new large HomePod and activation of dormant temperature sensors in HomePod mini.

Operating system updates provide support for new HomePods
Operating system updates provide support for new HomePods

Like many tvOS updates, this one primarily focuses on platform stability, bug fixes, and ecosystem improvements. What's interesting in this update is what's coming to the HomePod lineup.

Apple announced a new large HomePod with an S7 processor, temperature and humidity sensors, and a thread radio. It ships to customers on February 3 and the full range of operating system updates adds support for this new device.

Apple also included several new features for the existing HomePod and HomePod mini. Notably, the HomePod mini will have dormant humidity and temperature sensors activated, enabling the data to show up in the Apple Home app.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"HomePod Mini NEW FEATURES in 16 3 Update! Find My, HomeKit, Sensors, & More!","description":"Apple is debuting a bunch of new features with HomePod software version 16.3. Here's what you can expect on the now-available update!","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/mRPG7PB4_Jg/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2023-01-23T18:32:16Z","duration":"PT5M20S","embedUrl":""}

The tvOS update will be installed automatically, but it can be manually installed onto an Apple TV via the Settings app as well. HomePod software can be managed from the Home app.

Updates to tvOS are typically incremental maintenance releases, adding support for products and services while also improving user experience in small ways.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Good to hear. My ATV started turning back on when I wanted it to sleep after earlier updating my Mac to Ventura 13.2. Some of the weirdest ATV behavior is always connected to the software not being as up to date with the desktop that I stream my personal library from. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Just did the update, Temp reading & humidity is quite accurate. Love it
    steve_jobsiOS_Guy80byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    HomePod update started on my Mini stereo pair - about 1 hour ago.

Still spinning with "updating..." status. Hmm.

Updated four ATVs while HomePod update is still spinning.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Ok. Nice to see more helpful functionality to my mini. Wonkiness with Atv iOS is usually taken care of with subsequent updates. Last update worked well, not aware of issues this update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Something is not right with the 16.3 update on HomePod mini. Went from infinite loop on the installation so I updated to 16.3 by connecting my minis to my Mac via USB-C and updating them using the restore feature. 

Got the things to a certain state of partiality configured. The minis then enters into an infinite loop on the final configuration phase. Without the final configuration phase running to completion I cannot configure the two minis as a stereo pair. 

This abnormal behavior was repeatable on two HomePod minis at least 3 times. All of my other devices are latest iOS and macOS, all brand new hardware. 

Something is amiss in either Apple’s HomePod team or with HomeKit. They don’t seem to have a firm grasp on how to get the 16.3 release rolled out without major issues. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    I’m not seeing any new sensors post upgrade. Where do you find this info?
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I’m not seeing any new sensors post upgrade. Where do you find this info?
    Your phone also needs to be updated. I did the HomePods first but nothing new was working. Then I updated my phone. The temp and humidity sensors were then visible in HomeKit. I see them available under “Automations” and in the settings for each HomePod they are shown under “Accessories”. 
    racerhomie3byronlmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Both of our Mini’s were easily updated with no problems. I can see the temperature and humidity. I played around and I can use the minis in Shortcuts app with humidity and temperature sensors. 
    watto_cobra