Apple TV+ short gets Oscar nominations, 'Emancipation' shut out

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
"Causeway," and "The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse" have been nominated for Academy Awards for Apple TV+, but there were no accolades for Will Smith's "Emancipation."

'The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse' is nominated for an Oscar
'The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse' is nominated for an Oscar

In 2022, Apple was the first-ever streaming recipient of the Best Picture Oscar at the Academy Awards for "CODA," and this year it is believed to have hoped for the same with "Emancipation."

"Emancipation" may have been overshadowed by Will Smith's controversial slapping of host Chris Rock at last year's Oscars ceremony. It was claimed at the time that the film would be pushed back to release later in 2023 in order to distance it from the event, though its director Antoine Fuqua later denied this.

Instead of a 2023 release, though, Apple TV+ unexpectedly brought it forward to 2022 to qualify for the 95th Academy Awards. Nonetheless, it has now missed out on all categories it was eligible for.

Apple was also believed to be hopeful of nominations for "Causeway," written by Ottessa Moshfegh, Luke Goebel, and Elizabeth Sanders, and starring Jennifer Lawrence. And it has received one -- Brian Tyree Henry as Best Supporting Actor.

The hit Christmas tale "The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse" has been nominated for Best Animated Short Film. Executive produced by Jony Ive, the film was a co-production between Apple TV+ and the BBC.

The 95th Academy Awards ceremony is to be held at the Dolby Theatre at Ovation Hollywood on Sunday, March 12, 2023. It will be screened on ABC and Hulu Live.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    JP234 said:
    No nomination for Emancipation or Will Smith is a slap in the face to Apple TV+.
    I came here to say the same thing. :-(
    JP234watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 15
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Apple should learn from its CODA experience, breakout talent and quality is often not from big budget stars but from the up and comers who have vision and hunger to create something great.
    JP234FileMakerFellerravnorodomwatto_cobrabyronlurahara
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    JP234 said:
    badmonk said:
    Apple should learn from its CODA experience, breakout talent and quality is often not from big budget stars but from the up and comers who have vision and hunger to create something great.
    No doubt, but I'd put Best Actress (Children of a Lesser God, 1987) Oscar winner Marlee Matlin on the A list.
    Definitely not an up and comer.
    edited January 2023 JP234
  • Reply 4 of 15
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    That's the funny thing about show biz. It often slaps back.
    SpitbathentropysFileMakerFellerravnorodomwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 15
    In a world where Will Smith didn't slap Chris Rock during the live Oscar's broadcast Smith probably would've gotten a Best Actor nom for Emancipation
    ravnorodomwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 15
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    I literally love most all Apple TV plus content 

but emancipation sukks 
    Japheyravnorodom
  • Reply 7 of 15
    JP234 said:
    No nomination for Emancipation or Will Smith is a slap in the face to Apple TV+.
    Is it though? I feel like a true slap in the face would be shutting Apple TV+ out completely instead of giving them 2 noms for other projects with less baggage. I also feel like Emancipation receiving any nominations at all was a huge long shot given the circumstances (would you reward an adult baby for trashing your house?). This was a slap in the face to Will Smith and Will Smith only, and quite possibly a signal to the industry that anything he is involved with may be perceived as toxic for a very long time. 
    FileMakerFellerravnorodomurahara
  • Reply 8 of 15
    JP234 said:
    Academy Voter #1: Hey, Will Smith was great in Emancipation! Should we nominate him?
    Academy Voter #2: Are you kidding? After last year?
    Academy Voter #1: I was living under a rock at the time. What happened?
    Academy Voter #2: Oh, not much. Smith just sucker-slapped host Chris Rock really hard across the face for a minor joke on live TV in front of hundreds of millions of people worldwide. And then before the Academy could decide on disciplinary action, he quit the Academy. So even though he can still be nominated, he can't come to the ceremony or accept on television. Any other questions?
    Academy Voter #1: Nevermind. Sorry I asked. 

There was ZERO chance the Academy was going to honor Will Smith with a nomination after last year. Make that less than zero. This is no slap in the face to Apple TV+. It's a simple statement that there are consequences to the first incident of violence ever at an Oscars telecast. The unfortunate collateral damage is that the whole film was doomed to be overlooked because of Smith's connection to it. It's not fair to the rest of the cast and production team, and I hope Smith is apologizing to them for costing them deserved recognition... but he's probably not doing that. 
    edited January 2023 thtSpitbathFileMakerFellerravnorodomwatto_cobraStrangeDaysurahara
  • Reply 9 of 15
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    charlesn said:
    JP234 said:
    Academy Voter #1: Hey, Will Smith was great in Emancipation! Should we nominate him?
    Academy Voter #2: Oh, not much. Smith just sucker-slapped host Chris Rock really hard across the face for a minor joke on live TV in front of hundreds of millions of people worldwide. And then before the Academy could decide on disciplinary action, he quit the Academy. So even though he can still be nominated, he can't come to the ceremony or accept on television. Any other questions?

There was ZERO chance the Academy was going to honor Will Smith with a nomination after last year. Make that less than zero. This is no slap in the face to Apple TV+. It's a simple statement that there are consequences to the first incident of violence ever at an Oscars telecast. The unfortunate collateral damage is that the whole film was doomed to be overlooked because of Smith's connection to it. It's not fair to the rest of the cast and production team, and I hope Smith is apologizing to them for costing them deserved recognition... but he's probably not doing that. 
    If that were the conversation then I’d say the academy needs a long hard look in the mirror, exactly for their willful act of retribution rather than an honest take on the merits of the project Smith was involved in and his contribution.  

They either should have a rule that says, only those in the academy are qualified for awards or they should select nominees and winners based solely upon merit of the works under consideration.  Any punishment meted out for unrelated incidents such as Smith slapping Rock should be a wholly separate issue. 
    edited January 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    charlesn said:
    JP234 said:

If that were the conversation then I’d say the academy needs a long hard look in the mirror, exactly for their willful act of retribution rather than an honest take on the merits of the project Smith was involved in and his contribution.  

They either should have a rule that says, only those in the academy are qualified for awards or they should select nominees and winners based solely upon merit of the works under consideration.  Any punishment meted out for unrelated incidents such as Smith slapping Rock should be a wholly separate issue. 
    Uhhh... are you familiar with how a popularity contest works?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 15

Award shows are just as much about merit as they are about moving the needle forward culturally. Rules such as those proposed dismissing "unrelated incidents" would be like the Grammys recognizing R. Kelly for 'I Admit It' or the Oscars giving a lifetime achievement award to Harvey Weinstein which would not be a good look for either institution or the industry at large, would be seen as condoning (rewarding even!) bad behavior, and would in turn send a message to others that they too can achieve greatness by being a predatory/violent loser.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Yeah man, you hit people in the face on live TV during their event, and they’re not likely gonna reward you. Totally fine with that. World keeps turnin’…
    Spitbath
  • Reply 13 of 15
    They should have Christopher Plummered it, like "All the Money in the World" by Ridley Scott. Replace Will Smith with Denzel Washington and you'd have a contender!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Will Smith is a reason, by himself, for me to switch channels -- arrogant, entitled. And that was before he slapped Chris Rock.
    Spitbath