Apple is engaged in a 'silent war' against Google, claim engineers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    After reading the first paragraph, I say, “Good for apple.”
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 48
    AppleZulu said:

... Apple could either take the short-term hit of releasing a not-ready-for-primetime Apple Maps or hand over a large portion of their iPhone customer data and operating system to their chief rival. If they'd chosen the latter, much of their competitive edge - and their profitability - would now belong to Google.
    Again... the Google Maps app that iPhone users had access to prior to Apple Maps was not a full featured turn-by-turn solution that we know today.  It was literally just a map and you could also get a listing of driving directions.  For Apple users, even an "not so perfect" day 1 solution was still better than what they were previously providing their customers.  Sure, they could have sacrificed their user's privacy for an app that was basically a front end for Google's mapping service.  Would that have been better on day 1 for the "new Maps"?  Sure.  Having said that, for all of the complaints, Apple Maps was certainly usable even in 2012 when it debuted.  Most of the complaints were for things like flyover that which showed warped bridges, etc. but that feature didn't even exist yet in Google Maps.   Within 3 to 4 years, Apple was generally on par with Google's Maps (better in some ways, worse in others) and now, there are many that prefer Apple Maps.  

I think Apple's efforts have paid off.  They have a great mapping solution in most parts of the world and they did so without sacrificing their user's privacy.  I respect them for that.  They're also not held hostage to Google's terms and conditions for that service. 
    watto_cobran2itivguyradarthekat
  • Reply 23 of 48
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,007member
    techconc said:
    AppleZulu said:

... Apple could either take the short-term hit of releasing a not-ready-for-primetime Apple Maps or hand over a large portion of their iPhone customer data and operating system to their chief rival. If they'd chosen the latter, much of their competitive edge - and their profitability - would now belong to Google.
    Again... the Google Maps app that iPhone users had access to prior to Apple Maps was not a full featured turn-by-turn solution that we know today.  It was literally just a map and you could also get a listing of driving directions.  For Apple users, even an "not so perfect" day 1 solution was still better than what they were previously providing their customers.  Sure, they could have sacrificed their user's privacy for an app that was basically a front end for Google's mapping service.  Would that have been better on day 1 for the "new Maps"?  Sure.  Having said that, for all of the complaints, Apple Maps was certainly usable even in 2012 when it debuted.  Most of the complaints were for things like flyover that which showed warped bridges, etc. but that feature didn't even exist yet in Google Maps.   Within 3 to 4 years, Apple was generally on par with Google's Maps (better in some ways, worse in others) and now, there are many that prefer Apple Maps.  

I think Apple's efforts have paid off.  They have a great mapping solution in most parts of the world and they did so without sacrificing their user's privacy.  I respect them for that.  They're also not held hostage to Google's terms and conditions for that service. 
    I have to admit that this is fascinating how you seem to be disagreeing with me, but then are actually just restating what I just wrote. 
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 24 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    People have an interesting revisionist view of the bad-blood between Google and Apple.  The facts were pretty obvious back in the day when the iPhone was unveiled.  Google basically stopped their Blackberry-clone Android development and immediately went to copy iOS and even admitted to it.  In Google's rush to get caught up with the iPhone's leap, Google admitted to essentially ripping off Java without licensing - resulting in a year-long court case with Oracle - as it was cheaper and quicker than developing from the ground up.

Let's not forget then Google CEO Eric Schmidt's mole position on Apple's board while the iPhone was in development and taking off, or the argument of Steve Jobs having lunch with Schmidt at some cafe somewhere in Silicon Valley where it got heated.

Yeah... Apple should keep the fire smoldering.  With the exception of their search technology, Google has a track record of failing in just about anything else.  Google is a snake.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 25 of 48
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I have a memo for these “former Apple engineers”.  Welcome to business.  Competition is kind of like a war. 

Apple doesn’t do things because of a grudge.  Nothing. They do things because they think it will help their business.  If it happens to cause Google heartburn so much the better.  But the purpose for doing it is Kit to cause Google heartburn but to improve their own business and make their offerings better for their customers. 

Apple still does a pretty business with Samsung AFAIK (in chips, screens, etc) despite the bad blood there.  Apple doesn’t let personal feelings greatly warp their business. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 48
    chadbag said:
    I have a memo for these “former Apple engineers”.  Welcome to business.  Competition is kind of like a war. 

Apple doesn’t do things because of a grudge.  Nothing. They do things because they think it will help their business.  If it happens to cause Google heartburn so much the better.  But the purpose for doing it is Kit to cause Google heartburn but to improve their own business and make their offerings better for their customers. 

Apple still does a pretty business with Samsung AFAIK (in chips, screens, etc) despite the bad blood there.  Apple doesn’t let personal feelings greatly warp their business. 
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/18/apples-management-doesnt-want-nvidia-support-in-macos-and-thats-a-bad-sign-for-the-mac-pro
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 27 of 48
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    In 2020 the global middle class was estimated to include around 1 billion people.  Even with the recent global economic dislocation associated with pandemic lockdowns, the middle class continues to grow and is estimated to grow to over 4 billion by 2030.  

Technology has allowed more people even at the lowest economic strata to carry a smartphone, giving them access to vast information sources and connecting them to far more people and ideas than they would ever encounter otherwise.   Here in The Philippines where I’m currently living my early retirement the cost of a 5G cellular data plan is as low as $6/month with a 6GB data cap; plenty for the vast majority of needs and affordable enough for even those among the lowest economic strata.   

Most people at the bottom of the middle class or below middle class economic status who have the ability to reach for a smartphone are reaching in their pockets for an android smartphone, but most also aspire to a better economic status and associated higher end products and experiences. 

As those additional 3 billion people join the middle class over the next decade many will trade up to the iPhone, and this is why Tim Cook realizes it’s not a bad thing that Android copies iOS; in his own words, “Android is the training ground for iOS.”  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and in this case it’s also an ongoing gift to Apple as it makes the inevitable transition among the aspiring next generation of middle class a seamless one.  
    edited January 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Google Maps is still superior. I cringe whenever an app opens into Apple Maps instead of Google. 
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Google Maps is still superior. I cringe whenever an app opens into Apple Maps instead of Google. 
    Please explain. I have never used Google Maps. 
    n2itivguy
  • Reply 30 of 48
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Please explain. I have never used Google Maps. 
    I find that surprising. GM seems to be what a lot of things default to. 
    For me the difference is Street View. I can look up an address in either, get a route in either, get turn by turn directions in either. But I really like the ability to go into Street View and see what the place looks like. That way when I get close I know what I’m looking for.  
  • Reply 31 of 48
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I think the term you’re looking for is “competition”. What should Apple just roll over and give up when Google is stealing their lunch?
  • Reply 32 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jkichline said:
    I think the term you’re looking for is “competition”. What should Apple just roll over and give up when Google is stealing their lunch?
    Or Google roll over when Apple is stealing theirs? ;)

Halfway kidding. No one is "stealing" anyones lunch IMO, or at least these big techs aren't. Fair competition, each borrowing an idea from another and hopefully improving on it.

That said both companies are guilty of grabbing onto some little guys idea and killing a dream. Unfortunately for the small companies hoping to make it big, that's just business: buy 'em or squash 'em. One way or the other big tech has been winning and it shows in market control.  That's one element that tech reform is intended to address. 
    edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Everyone in the tech industry copies each other, Apple included. The only thing beyond the pale was when Eric Schmidt changed the direction of the Android team before the iPhone was released using insider information from his role on Apple’s board. I’m sure Apple is still pissed about that. That said, Apple likes to control the most important services on their devices. I’m sure any first-party services are more motivated by this.
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 34 of 48
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Everyone in the tech industry copies each other, Apple included. The only thing beyond the pale was when Eric Schmidt changed the direction of the Android team before the iPhone was released.
    Actually, that happened AFTER the iPhone reveal, not before. 
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 35 of 48
    I strongly agree with others here that it’s not only old engineers that hold the grudge. Android is stolen property as Steve once said. I have hated them since that day. Irrational and immature? Sure, but they deserve it. 
    Stolen property the same way Apple stole the graphical UI and the mouse from Xerox?
    Or, Apple stealing the idea of a streaming music service from Spotify while they were selling individual tracks and albums?
    Or does the entire concept of “Sherlocking” ring a bell?

Everyone does it. Grow up, man.
    It happened in 2007.

Revolutionary as the iPhone was, you cannot (and should not) protect abstract concepts like a user interface or the idea of a touch screen. You can only parent specific methods and systems and usually not the software side, as it should be.

• Reply 36 of 48
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    bluefire1 said:
    Apple learned from google of the public’s desire for larger phones. Google learned from Apple everything else.
    Apple learned the public's desire for larger phones from Google??? You are doing a great disservice to Samsung who stuck to the mantra of "Bigger is always better when it comes to display" and pushed for larger screen phones from the beginning through their Note series.
    He is an example of why Google puts out the pixel phone, and Microsoft puts out the surface to distract and confuse the uninformed, Samsung popularized the big smartphone, because that was the only card they had to play.
    edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 48
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    Everyone in the tech industry copies each other, Apple included. The only thing beyond the pale was when Eric Schmidt changed the direction of the Android team before the iPhone was released using insider information from his role on Apple’s board. I’m sure Apple is still pissed about that. That said, Apple likes to control the most important services on their devices. I’m sure any first-party services are more motivated by this.

I see what you did it didn’t work. The only reason Google was able to switch gears fast was that Schmidt had inside knowledge and without that knowledge, Google would’ve have been in the same spot as Nokia, Blackberry Sony Ericsson, Palm, and Motorola up the creek without a paddle. Even with Android, Google is the one paying Apple billions for a default position, which hopefully the antitrust action against Google will take away, however, I won’t hold my breath Washington DC is currently clueless.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    I prefer Apple’s Maps.  I find GoogleMaps to be cumbersome.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I strongly agree with others here that it’s not only old engineers that hold the grudge. Android is stolen property as Steve once said. I have hated them since that day. Irrational and immature? Sure, but they deserve it. 
    Stolen property the same way Apple stole the graphical UI and the mouse from Xerox?
    Or, Apple stealing the idea of a streaming music service from Spotify while they were selling individual tracks and albums?

It happened in 2007.

Revolutionary as the iPhone was, you cannot (and should not) protect abstract concepts like a user interface or the idea of a touch screen. You can only parent specific methods and systems and usually not the software side, as it should be.

Apple didn’t steal the gui idea  and mouse from Xerox.  Go read up on actually what happened.  Jobs was invited there to validate the idea.  
    designr
  • Reply 40 of 48

It happened in 2007.

That people like you continue to distort the Xerox licensing just goes to show your agenda.  People like you will literally lie to suit your agenda.  Go read up on that Xerox deal.  There's nothing "stolen" about it.
    designr