iPhone Christmas sales hit by 15% over production problems & weak demand

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2023
The latest smartphone sales estimates from analyst firm IDC says the December 2022 quarter saw the largest-ever decline, with Apple selling around 12 million fewer iPhones than in same period in 2021.

iPhone 14 Pro
iPhone 14 Pro box

UBS recently forecast that Apple will have sold 79 million iPhones in what will be the company's Q1 2023 results, and that this is only just under the 80 million that, on average, the rest of the market expects. Now IDC reports that the figure is probably 72.3 million, which is below even the "street low" prediction of 74 million.

For the same period last year, iPhone sales were 85 million, so the new figures represent at 14.9% drop. That's still better than the whole worldwide smartphone market, which in total saw shipments drop 18.3%, just over 300 million devices int he quarter.

"We have never [before] seen shipments in the holiday quarter come in lower than the previous quarter," wrote IDC research director Nabila Popal. "However, weakened demand and high inventory caused vendors to cut back drastically on shipments."

Source: IDC
Source: IDC

"Heavy sales and promotions during the quarter helped deplete existing inventory rather than drive shipment growth," continued Popal. "Even Apple, which thus far was seemingly immune, suffered a setback in its supply chain with unforeseen lockdowns at its key factories in China."

IDC believes that the figures reflect consumer concern over rising inflation, which may "push out any possible recovery to the very end of 2023."

It's not clear where IDC sources its data. Apple has not reported iPhone sales volumes in many years.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    On the plus side, this is a good year to buy in for long term investment. The externalities that resulted in this will resolve by next year.
    iOS_Guy80
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Inflation isn't rising in the United States. It's been on a downward trajectory for months. It certainly wasn't rising in December. 
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 3 of 13
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,868member
    How would they know how many iPhones Apple shipped?Did Apple also tell them how many iPhones were actually sold this quarter? Did Tim send them a memo?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    danox said:
    How would they know how many iPhones Apple shipped?Did Apple also tell them how many iPhones were actually sold this quarter? Did Tim send them a memo?

There are a lot of indicators for IDC to estimate the volume even if Apple is not disclosing any figures: 
    I once saw a model (not from IDC for smartphones) how these things are calculated.  It is a very complex prediction software, taking into account regional and global economic figures, suppliers figures, resellers figures, .... 
    To give you an indication. If one reseller says he has sold 10% less than the same quarter last year, one could argue that this reseller did not do a great job.  But if 10 resellers all drop on average 10% compared to the same quarter last year, this is a trend that you cannot assign to coincidence or bad sales performance
    By correlating all the data, you get a very good approximation of the actual sales figures Apple did, but of course not guaranteed to be 100% correct. 

muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 13
    IDC is notorious for its consistently negative and wrong predictions about Apple, so it's hardly a surprise that their prediction is below that of even the most dire on Wall Street. I would say take their predictions with a grain of salt, but that would be insulting to the grain of salt. 
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFellerchasm
  • Reply 6 of 13
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I have to call BS on this data.  When I walk through airports during my all too frequent flights these days I see iPhone 14 Pros in many hands & AppleWatch Ultras (the latter may have single handedly saved the quarter).  The iPhone 14 Pro Max I ordered as a gift arrived ahead of schedule.

We will find out next week, but I don’t think the quarter was as bad as analysts are thinking and I wonder if they have ulterior motives for these spurious predictions (driving down the price of the stock for short term gain).
    iOS_Guy80muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 13
    badmonk said:
    I have to call BS on this data.  When I walk through airports during my all too frequent flights these days I see iPhone 14 Pros in many hands & AppleWatch Ultras (the latter may have single handedly saved the quarter).  The iPhone 14 Pro Max I ordered as a gift arrived ahead of schedule.

We will find out next week, but I don’t think the quarter was as bad as analysts are thinking and I wonder if they have ulterior motives for these spurious predictions (driving down the price of the stock for short term gain).
    The data is BS because you saw iPhones at the airport?
    ctt_zhM68000
  • Reply 8 of 13
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Weak demand? Over production? What? The Foxconn plant was operating at 20 percent capacity for 2 months.
     I waited for my phone for 6 weeks. If demand so weak, I would be able to get it next day

makes no sense 
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 9 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    I would have thought that if the numbers were so far off what the markets might be expecting, then Apple would have issued a profit warning. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    I think the OP is comparing estimates of different things.

UBS recently forecast that Apple will have sold 79 million iPhones in what will be the company's Q1 2023 results, and that this is only just under the 80 million that, on average, the rest of the market expects. Now IDC reports that the figure is probably 72.3 million, which is below even the "street low" prediction of 74 million.

The IDC estimate is for the 4th calendar quarter of 2022 which would have started in October. Some of the other numbers - e.g., the UBS projection - are for Apple's fiscal quarter which would have started September 25th and ran through the end of the calendar year. This is one of those years where Apple's 1st fiscal quarter was 14 weeks long. It included almost a full extra week as compared to the calendar quarter, and that week was soon after the new iPhones were released. So the disparity - between around 72 million and around 79 million - lines up pretty well.

That said, most of the projections for Apple's FY2023 Q1 compare unfavorably with its FY2022 Q1. They generally forecast reduced revenue and EPS even though this last quarter included a full extra week.

• Reply 11 of 13
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    avon b7 said:
    I would have thought that if the numbers were so far off what the markets might be expecting, then Apple would have issued a profit warning. 
    Though most estimates have Apple's numbers being off, they might not be as far off as the IDC estimate would seem to suggest. As I indicated my previous post, the IDC estimate doesn't cover Apple's full fiscal quarter.

That said, Apple didn't issue guidance for this quarter - it hasn't been issuing guidance for a while. So there isn't anything for it to revise. I suppose if the numbers were off bad enough it might issue some type of warning, but there would probably have to be some major issue. Apple isn't likely to issue a warning just because its numbers are going to come in below what others are expecting. When it issued a statement in early 2019, that was because it was going to report numbers meaningfully below its own guidance.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Looking over the historical record, one thing is for sure:

IDC (and Gartner) will be wrong. At best, they will only be in the ballpark (ie, a drop year-over-year).

Go back and look for yourselves: compare their estimates to what actually happened. They're always wrong -- it's simply a matter of "off by how much" with them.
    muthuk_vanalingam