Apple releases macOS Ventura 13.2 with security key support

Posted:
in macOS
The new macOS Ventura 13.2 is now rolling out to users, with improved security features including rapid response updates.

Following the usual multiple beta test releases, macOS 13.2 is now available, and will come pre-installed on all new Macs.

This release is chiefly concerned with beginning the implementation of new security features that Apple has announced it will continue introducing over the next few months.

Consequently, macOS 13.2 features support for using a physical security key with two-factor authentication. On signing in with an Apple ID, users get the option to require a physical hardware key to verify their identity.

Apple's latest update also brings Rapid Security Response to the Mac.

Now available across Mac, iPhone, and iPad, Rapid Response means that security updates can be made to a Mac urgently. Rather than being included in a regular software update, a security patch can be applied

Added in iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, and now macOS Ventura, Apple uses Rapid Security Response to issue urgent security patches to users quickly. It's separate from the regular software updates, and gets applied automatically on restart.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The old-fashioned in me thinks I should know when an update has happened, so I can suspect it the next time my Mac plays up. Discuss.
    darkvader
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The old-fashioned in me thinks I should know when an update has happened, so I can suspect it the next time my Mac plays up. Discuss.
    A tiny, tiny minority of users will always have their Macs “play up” after an update. Unfortunately that tiny minority is very vocal, very paranoid, very accusatory, damning, and quick to blame the update with false logic rather than their own practices and crappy maintenance routines, third party software, etc. In that minority’s mind is Apple is required to test every single piece of third party software ever released to make sure it works with any update Apple puts out. That goes for printers and scanners too. Apple is responsible for 12 year old scanners continuing to work with Ventura, not the scanner manufacturer. Get my drift.
    edited January 2023 appleinsideruser
  • Reply 3 of 7
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    lkrupp said:
    A tiny, tiny minority of users will always have their Macs “play up” after an update. Unfortunately that tiny minority is very vocal, very paranoid, very accusatory, damning, and quick to blame the update with false logic rather than their own practices and crappy maintenance routines, third party software, etc. In that minority’s mind is Apple is required to test every single piece of third party software ever released to make sure it works with any update Apple puts out. That goes for printers and scanners too. Apple is responsible for 12 year old scanners continuing to work with Ventura, not the scanner manufacturer. Get my drift.
    Scanners rarely fail.  20+ year old scanners generally work perfectly.  So many fully functional scanners have been sent to e-waste because of lack of software support, it's disgusting.

Who is responsible?  The scanner was working fine until Apple updated the system software in a way that broke the scanner.  The scanner manufacturer didn't change anything, Apple did.  The scanner still works with Windoze 11 and Linux 6.1.7, so... is it REALLY the scanner manufacturer's fault?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 7
    darkvader said:

Who is responsible?  The scanner was working fine until Apple updated the system software in a way that broke the scanner.  The scanner manufacturer didn't change anything, Apple did.  The scanner still works with Windoze 11 and Linux 6.1.7, so... is it REALLY the scanner manufacturer's fault?
    My experience is exactly the opposite. My old Canon LIDE scanner has zero support on Windows after W7. On MacOS and Linux? Works OOTB.
    The same goes for printers. On Windows, printer drivers have got so bloated that they make some video driver packages seem svelte like by comparison. Can I get a supported driver for my Canon photo printer on W10 or W11? No chance. 
    MS provided hardware makers a perfect get out when releasing W10/W11 and their driver signing. many did exit stage left leaving millions of perfectly serviceable hardware high and dry.

dewme
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    When I upgraded my wife to the latest M1 iMac her scanner only worked with Rosetta 2 support. The scanner maker eventually released a native driver for Apple Silicon which I download from the scanner manufacturer, which worked even better.

It looked like support for Logitech Options (for configuring keyboard and mouse options) would follow a similar path. But the Rosetta 2 “shim” method never worked quite right so Logitech discouraged users from using it. Some time later, quite recently in fact, Logitech released a native version driver that works as-expected for a subset of their devices, with support for more devices coming soon. 

This experience tells me that the peripheral makers are largely responsible for providing support for their devices on Apple platforms. Apple obviously provides kernel level support for IO port access, and sometimes a generic kernel driver, and they did provide a the Rosetta 2 shim when things change at the kernel level, but the ball seems to be mostly in the court of the peripheral makers. Of course the peripheral device maker has to work within the integration model the OS maker provides, including security requirements like driver signing. This is really no different than the way Windows drivers work. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    For the second time my iMac 27 inch is bricked during a software update. Ended in recovery mode and a fresh install. I am not happy as this takes a lot of time amd effort to get my Mac in the original state. I cannot recommend this update.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dutchlord said:
    For the second time my iMac 27 inch is bricked during a software update. Ended in recovery mode and a fresh install. I am not happy as this takes a lot of time amd effort to get my Mac in the original state. I cannot recommend this update.
    I'll keep my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) on Monterey version 12.6.3 (courtesy of OpenCore-Patcher) a little longer...