Could the next generation iPod use a G5?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just thinking today about how they could reduce the size, cost and heat of the iPod. I don't know the specs of the current machine, only that it has two processors.

Would an embedded G5 be able to fit in the iPod?

It just made me think that if it could, that would open the door to a more powerful machine as well. People talk about a video pod and I assume a G5 could handle that. I'm also hoping for more games to waste my time with as I'm getting tired of solitary pong.

Not to dis on pong, I love pong.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    wha? are you crazY?!

no way could they cool down a g5 enough, or fit a graphics card, or a board... sorry, next please!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    No, the new iPod will run on the G6. Can't you people get ANYTHING right? hehe.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    and why we're at throwing in a G5 processor into the next generation iPod--let's throw in a full blown nuclear power plant and see how that little music device heats up baby!

doh!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    No, it'll have a DUAL Power4. Yes, Power4, not G5... I can see it now... "Backpack sold separately."
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Well, some great constructive posts. Not sure if bunge was talking about the Motorola G5 (aka 85xx), but that would make more sense. It IS made to be low power and be in an embedded environment. I believe it implements the PowerPC ISA, no? Nice to see everyone shooting off so negatively without thinking.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Swan

Well, some great constructive posts. Not sure if bunge was talking about the Motorola G5 (aka 85xx), but that would make more sense. It IS made to be low power and be in an embedded environment. I believe it implements the PowerPC ISA, no? Nice to see everyone shooting off so negatively without thinking.

huh? G6, baby. The G6. Coming to an iPod near you.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

huh? G6, baby. The G6. Coming to an iPod near you.

How about a 68000 based chip??
  • Reply 8 of 21
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    It's possible. The question is: why would anyone care? It's not like there would be a difference in user experience with an MPC85xx or PPC440 (low-end embedded G5s) vs a StrongArm or XScale.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 21
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    It could have a G5 if it isn't coming out until 2006. If the G5 is coming from Motorola not until 2010
  • Reply 10 of 21
    what? i mean..they aren't even trying anymore.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I doubt they would ever think of doing so, well not in the next 10 years. I think the idea is silly, but you see Apple still struggle with producing a good desktop so you would never see it in anything small like an ipod.

No point for it either I guess
  • Reply 12 of 21
    whats an iPod?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slotracer152

whats an iPod?

I hope that comment was made in jest.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Swan

Holy cow! A real response!!!

Yes, I was talking about the non-mythical G5 (aka 85xx). Why? Because a single processor chipset would be less expensive than a dual processor machine, it might (I don't know, that's why I'm asking) produce less heat and require less battery power.

And yes the user experience might improve because it might also be more powerful than the current processors so no more lag when loading calenders or switching menus. Also, if it's more powerful, it opens the iPod to the possibility of more powerful functions that have been rumored.

With Apple migrating to IBM for the 970, using a G5 would keep Mot in the family for any possible future need (ie IBM drops the 970 in favor of producing other higher profit chips.)

More of a curiosity than anything else.

EDIT: With a PowerPC chip Apple could more easily develop their own OS which would eliminate the licensing fees for the Pixo OS which would in turn reduce the cost of producing the iPod even further.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I would bet more on a 40X series integrated processor from IBM or even a 440. I think the 8500 series from Mot is still too power hungry for an iPod style device. If you go to IBM's site you'll see some specs for a PDA platform based on the 405 core that would be more ideal for Apple to use.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Ok, can we all get together and come to an agreement? That from now on, everyone repeat after me:

There will be no more Motorola chips made for Apple. There will be no more Motorola chips made for Apple. There will be no more Motorola chips made for Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    No, the next iPod will not use any kind of brand new, cutting edge chip. There is NO need for any fancy hardware inside the iPod because it is just playing back music. A Moto 85xx chip would increase the cost of the iPod and I think that most every consumer wants a lower price iPod that gives better battery life over a higher priced iPod that can't take advantage of its high end CPU.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

A Moto 85xx chip would increase the cost of the iPod....

That's the type of question I'm asking. Would it cost more than two individual processors and a dual processor system? Would it really require more battery power? I don't know.

It's just that the current iPod seems overly complex for an MP3 player and moving to a single more powerful chip would be better.

Thanks for the link to the IBM site. Everybody seems to love IBM these days, but I suggested the G5 simply because MOT seems to be the leader in embedded chips and because Apple might have an interest in keeping MOT happy in case the 970 or IBM falls through at some point.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

wha? are you crazY?!

no way could they cool down a g5 enough, or fit a graphics card, or a board... sorry, next please!

Yeah, it will come with an optional IcePack.Talk about flaming your butt whew !
  • Reply 20 of 21
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    New iPods: DISCLAMER: Not for use on front pockets of pants, only back pockets