Apple extends Chinese censorship to Hong Kong users

Posted:
in General Discussion
Hong Kong Apple users claim Safari briefly blocked global code site GitLab, seemingly because it's blacklisted by Chinese-owned Tencent.

Hong Kong skyline
Hong Kong skyline

Safari aims to protect users from websites that may contain malware or other issues, and it does so by using blacklists of problematic sites. Those lists are maintained either by Google Safe Browsing, or China's Tencent Safe Browsing -- and it's Tencent that is the issue.

Apple has long used Tencent when a device's region is set to mainland China. Apple's use of a Chinese-owned firm has been controversial, but it was specifically limited to China.

According to The Intercept, however, Apple appears to now be using Tencent's blacklist for devices registered in Hong Kong, too. Hong Kong is a city in South China, but its users have not previously been subjected to mainland China's censorship.

Safari blocked @gitlab https://t.co/P7hQakhrN8 with a safe browsing warning. Upon further looking, Safari sourced the blocklist from Tencent. And Tencent put GitLab on the blocklist because it contains misinformation! Total WTF pic.twitter.com/SHoP2dDS84

-- Chu Ka-cheong (@kcchu_)

Tweeter Chu Ka-cheong is a former Apple employee and software engineer. He tweeted that access to GitLab was being blocked by Safari for purportedly containing dangerous "unverified information."

A current Apple engineer responded to the tweet, saying that the issue would be looked into. GitLab access was subsequently restored, but reportedly, there has been no further response from Apple.

The Intercept reports that Apple spokesperson Nadine Haija would only direct them to asking Tencent. In its turn, Tencent declined to comment.

However, at some point after November 24, 2022, Apple's Safari privacy notice was updated to say that the Tencent list would be used for devices in Hong Kong too. Haija would not comment on when or why Apple expanded its use of Tencent.

"Presumably people purchase Apple devices because they believe the company when they say that 'privacy is a fundamental human right,' Charlie Smith of Chinese censorship advocacy group GreatFire, told the publication. "What they fail to add is 'except if you are Chinese.'"

As a Chinese company, Tencent is unsurprisingly bound to follow China's rules.

"The aspect which we should be surprised by and con-cerned about is Apple's decision to work with Tencent in the first place to filter URLs for Apple's Hong Kong users," said Jeffrey Knockel of the University of Toronto's digital security watchdog group. "[Other] North American tech companies have resisted Hong Kong's demands to subject Hong Kong users to China-based filtering."

It's not known why GitLab was added to Tencent's list of "unverified information" sites. It's also not known whether Apple is behind the block on GitLab being lifted.

Apple has previously been accused of bowing to authoritarian regimes. Tim Cook has previously discussed China's censorship issues with the US government.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    That’s it. I’m done with having to eat my way around the worm inside the Apple. When it’s rotten, it’s rotten. 
  • Reply 2 of 17
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Apple's use of a Chinese-owned firm has been controversial, but it was specifically limited to China….According to The Intercepthowever, Apple appears to now be using Tencent's blacklist for devices registered in Hong Kong, too. Hong Kong is a city in South China, but its users have not previously been subjected to mainland China's censorship.
    Hong Kong is China, anyone who still believes in “One Country, Two Systems” is being naive. Beijing can demand anything they want in Hong Kong and that’s the way it is. They could ship all the people to the Mongolian border and convert it into a theme park, and there’s nothing anyone could do about it. To pretend that Apple, or any other company, or for that matter, outside country or power, can have any influence on what goes on in Hong Kong is delusional. That ship saled away with the British over two decades ago. 

edited January 2023 dewmebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 17
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    That’s it. I’m done with having to eat my way around the worm inside the Apple. When it’s rotten, it’s rotten. 
    We expect European or Chinese companies to follow our rules when operating in USA, why do you expect otherwise for companies operating in china. Are they inferior human beings?

further . Ukraine and Zelenskyy has shut down all dissenting media , why aren’t you upset with that?
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    I'll listen to complaints about censorship in China when the complainers first stop buying any products made in China, or using any apps made in China. Money, and where it's spent, (or personal data, and where it's shared), says a lot more about a person's beliefs than the opinions they express do, especially online.
    edited January 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I am from Hong Hong and I have no problem accessing gitlab.com using Safari.  May be just a momentary glitch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Madbum said:
    We expect European or Chinese companies to follow our rules when operating in USA, why do you expect otherwise for companies operating in china. Are they inferior human beings?

further . Ukraine and Zelenskyy has shut down all dissenting media , why aren’t you upset with that?
    Because they are in the midst of a violent war begun by Russia which includes propaganda originating from the attacking country intended to assist with that war effort? Every war in history includes vetting of the news for very obvious reasons.
    edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingamdewmeStrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Isn't US copying China trying to outlaw TikTok for national security reason? LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:

Because they are in the midst of a violent war begun by Russia which includes propaganda originating from the attacking country intended to assist with that war effort? Every war in history includes vetting of the news for very obvious reasons.
    So all the anti war protests across Europe or people who are anti war in US are all Russian propaganda?

you need help as you are a victim of propaganda as well.

you honestly think every person in Ukraine is for the war after what has happened last 13 months…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Madbum said:
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:

So all the anti war protests across Europe or people who are anti war in US are all Russian propaganda?

you honestly think every person in Ukraine is for the war after what has happened last 13 months…
    Antiwar is great, and the Ukranians would agree!! Sadly Russia did not agree. Ukraine has no choice in the matter, it was foisted on them. Telling Ukraine to stop fighting won't solve it since they are not the ones insisting on one. 
    edited January 2023 dewmeStrangeDaystmay
  • Reply 10 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:

Antiwar is great, and the Ukranians would agree!! Sadly Russia did not agree. Ukraine has no choice in the matter, it was foisted on them. Telling Ukraine to stop fighting won't solve it since they are not the ones insisting on one. 
    It seems that the Russian speaking Ukrainian would not agree with you. But their voices were suppressed in the Western world. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Madbum said:
    “We expect European or Chinese companies to follow our rules when operating in USA, why do you expect otherwise for companies operating in china.”

there’s a big difference as to why Zelenskyy has shut down Russian media in Ukraine. They’re at war with Russia, silly!  Why would any country that’s being invaded and systematically destroyed, willingly allow dissenting information directly from the aggressors to permeate their country?
    NONE. 
    China is not at war with the US (stay tuned). 

StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Madbum said:

If you’re talking about Russian propaganda outlets, of course. Why shouldn’t they, when the terrorist state is invading their nation and targeting civilians with missile strikes? Fuck Russia. 

That Russia is allowed on sites like Twitter is an insult to human life. 
    RhondaSantis
  • Reply 13 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:

For once we agree! Absolutely. Fuck Russia and what they want. 
    RhondaSantis
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Madbum said:
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:

You are confused — Ukrainians aren’t “for the war”, that’s idiotic. They’re for Russia getting the fuck out of their country and stopping their raping and murdering of civilians. 
    RhondaSantis
  • Reply 15 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:

It seems that the Russian speaking Ukrainian would not agree with you. But their voices were suppressed in the Western world. 
    That’s as absurd as saying Spanish-speaking regions of the US should have an equal voice in inviting and supporting an invasion from Mexico. Nope doesn’t work that way. The country is Ukraine, and it’s sovereign. You don’t get to change that. Grow up. Or just put down the RU pipe. 
    edited January 2023 RhondaSantis
  • Reply 16 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:
    gatorguy said:
    Madbum said:

That’s as absurd as saying Spanish-speaking regions of the US should have an equal voice in inviting and supporting an invasion from Mexico. Nope doesn’t work that way. The country is Ukraine, and it’s sovereign. You don’t get to change that. Grow up. Or just put down the RU pipe. 
    Are you an American? Do you agree that US apologized to Japanese Americans for putting them in concentration camp during WWII? It is very strange you use Mexico. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I saw Rubio (Florida senator) and Warner (Virginia senator) fabricating reasons to target TikTok on CBS Face the Nation this morning.  Why this great nation would elect such people to Congress? Their minds are full of hatred. Their words are incoherent without facts. 
    edited January 2023