Satechi's new Pro Hub Slim adds seven ports to MacBooks

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Pro Hub Slim is the newest hub from Satechi, adding seven extra ports to increase data transfer speeds and extend workplace connectivity.

Satechi Pro Hub Slim
Satechi Pro Hub Slim

Designed for the new M2 MacBook lineup, the new hub has a USB4 port, 4K HDMI, USB-C port, two USB-A ports, and readers for SD and Micro SD cards. It connects to the side of a MacBook using its two USB-C ports and matches the design aesthetic of Apple's products.

It works with any MacBook from 2017 and later and doesn't require drivers or software to function. Mac users can plug the Pro Hub Slim into their devices to start working.

The two USB-A data ports on the hub support up to 10Gb/s of data transfer speeds, while the USB4 pass-through port offers up to 40Gb/s. The SD and Micro SD slots support UHS-I rates, up to 104MB/s.

Pro Hub Slim has seven ports
Pro Hub Slim has seven ports

Additionally, the 4K HDMI port for dual display supports up to 60Hz in resolution. The USB4 pass-through port supports up to 6K at 60Hz video output, up to 100W of charging, and has data transfer speeds up to 40Gb/s.

Pricing & Availability

Satechi's Pro Hub Slim is available for $79.99 in Midnight, Space Gray, and Silver. Shoppers can get 20% off with the code SLIM20 until February 3.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member
    For newer MacBooks this is an exercise in redundancy...I've pretty much eliminated the need for any USB-A port and the rest, I don't care about or use--HDMI & SD--are already on my MacBook. The only useful port would be a wired Ethernet and that's MIA.
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 2 of 12
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    This is why I think MacBooks shouldn't have any ports but USB-Cs. USB-Cs are capable of outputting all kinds of devices with a simple dongle. 

Apple ignored the fundamental point of minimalism and caved in to unwarranted criticisms about missing ports (HDMI, MagSafe, etc)

Now, the new MBs look horrible with unsightly ports. 

I can see it leaving the SD slot alone as it does have a clean slit opening but the design of HDMI port is very jarring and deserves to be banished. The MagSafe port is unsightly too. Why???? There are USB devices that can act as MagSafe and if they really need that, they can add it but for most people, they don't need it. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 12
    " There are USB devices that can act as MagSafe..."

Really? Name one.

CluntBaby92ravnorodom
  • Reply 4 of 12

How is it "adding seven extra ports" when it requires 2 USB C ports to connect, that's a net gain of five ports.
    edited January 2023 dewmewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 12
    How is it "adding seven extra ports" when it requires 2 USB C ports to connect, that's a net gain of five ports.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Japhey
  • Reply 7 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    netrox said:
    This is why I think MacBooks shouldn't have any ports but USB-Cs. USB-Cs are capable of outputting all kinds of devices with a simple dongle. 

Apple ignored the fundamental point of minimalism and caved in to unwarranted criticisms about missing ports (HDMI, MagSafe, etc)

I can see it leaving the SD slot alone as it does have a clean slit opening but the design of HDMI port is very jarring and deserves to be banished. The MagSafe port is unsightly too. Why???? There are USB devices that can act as MagSafe and if they really need that, they can add it but for most people, they don't need it. 

I have to say I disagree netrox. For me, portability and flexibility is absolutely everything when I buy a laptop. That means minimal extraneous equipment, including dongles. The less of those I have the happier I am.
    williamlondondewmemuthuk_vanalingamravnorodom
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    snowcrash said:
    You get both of those ports back (see picture), so there are a total of seven ports. You don't lose the two ports it covers up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    dbs888 said:
    " There are USB devices that can act as MagSafe..."

Really? Name one.

https://tidbits.com/2021/03/04/are-cheap-magsafe-like-adapters-for-usb-c-worthwhile/
    ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chasm said:
    snowcrash said:
    You get both of those ports back (see picture), so there are a total of seven ports. You don't lose the two ports it covers up.

You get a TB4 and a USB-C port in exchange for 2 TB4 ports and 5 additional ports so it’s less than 5 additional really as a TB4 port is better than a USB-C port. 

jony0
  • Reply 11 of 12
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    netrox said:

No, they don't look "horrible". They look like a computer people use without having to futz around with docks and dongles.
    Sheesh the silly, unimportant things people choose to criticize.
    edited January 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,841member
    welshdog said:
    netrox said:

No, they don't look "horrible". They look like a computer people use without having to futz around with docks and dongles.
    Sheesh the silly, unimportant things people choose to criticize.

It’s very useful for some people, but it does look like crap attached to the side of the computer. Usefulness is it strong point not beauty.
    edited January 2023