LGear 3-in-1 charging dock review: A cat tree for your devices

Posted:
in General Discussion
The 3-in-1 Lightning Charging Dock from LGear is a charging tree for Apple devices that can help reduce the number of cables and chargers on anyone's desk.

LGear 3-in-1 Lightning Charging Dock
LGear 3-in-1 Lightning Charging Dock

LGear has a few charging options available, and the Lightning Charging 3-in-1 dock is one of the company's products that can recharge multiple devices.

3-in-1 Lightning Charging Dock Specifications

The 3-in-1 charging dock from LGear has a space to charge a MagSafe iPhone, AirPods, and an Apple Watch. On the rear of the base, it features two USB-C ports for charging input and output.

It supports all Apple Watch models, the iPhone 12 and later, and AirPods that can charge wirelessly. That includes both generations of AirPods Pro, the second and third generations of AirPods, and the first-gen AirPods with a wireless charging case.

Charging an iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods
Charging an iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods

The space designated for AirPods is compatible with nearly any device that uses Qi wireless charging and includes our iPhone 14 we used during testing.

The magnetic charger supports fast charging with up to 15W, using what the company calls "Lightning-Charge Technology." It works with compatible MagSafe cases.

A handy feature of the magnetic charging component is its ability to support an iPhone in portrait and landscape modes. It's easy to turn the iPhone in either direction, although doing so may scratch certain cases, such as the ultra-thin one on our iPhone.

But that's also a testament to how securely it holds the device.

Design & Construction

The 3-in-1 charger ships in two parts - a round plastic base that contains the Qi charger and the part that easily screws into the base to hold an iPhone and Apple Watch.

The dock has two parts that screw together
The dock has two parts that screw together

Although the part that attaches to the base looks like wood, it's also made of plastic, making the product feel a bit cheap. However, the faux-wooden part has visible screws on the back, which might make certain parts available to repair by knowledgeable people.

Using the 3-in-1 Charging Dock

The 3-in-1 charger is a suitable device that lives up to expectations. We like that the iPhone component can power devices at up to 15W, making it comparable with Apple's MagSafe charger.

The AirPods Pro took about two and a half hours to charge from zero to 100% with the 10W Qi charger, while the Apple Watch Series 7 charged to 100% in approximately three hours at 7.5W. The 15W magnetic fast charger powered an iPhone 14 to full battery in about two hours.

The USB-C port on the back of the round base is 5W, which charges devices more slowly than the wireless options, but it's still nice to have in a pinch.

Landscape mode and Portrait mode for the iPhone
Landscape mode and Portrait mode for the iPhone

As mentioned, LGear calls the charger a Lightning Charging Dock. At first we thought that meant it had a Lightning port, but that likely just refers to the fast charging aspect.

LGear 3-in-1 Dock Pros

• Fast iPhone charging with 15W

• Landscape and Portrait modes for an iPhone

• Extra USB-C port for wired charging

LGear 3-in-1 Dock Cons

• Not a great-looking design

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Pricing & Verdict

Overwall, the LGear 3-in-1 Dock is a solid device for charging multiple electronics. At the regular price of $129, we expected to see more premium materials, but it's not a bad product. It's available to purchase through LGear's website.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    On sale for $79.00 right now (11/6/2022 5:00 PM EDT)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    For anyone reading this review, DO NOT PURCHASE FROM LGEAR. I purchased 2 wireless chargers & a phone case on 12/10/22. They took my money & never delivered the product. I have sent countless emails with no response. LGear is a fraud! Review the BBB site for LGear & their parent company AdOutreach. 
    clross
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I purchased 3 charging docks as Christmas presents for my kids.  I paid on the 16th of December but never received the items.  When I checked on the status of the order one month after placing it, LGear advised that they had no information on when the items would ship.  I requested that the order be canceled and payment be refunded, but they stopped responding to emails.  They took payment and never delivered the product.  I would think twice about dealing with this company.
    clross
  • Reply 4 of 4
    DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!! Like others, I ordered the 3-in-1 charging dock on 12/15/22 and never received it.  Attempted to call and email the company.  They don't answer the phone and don't respond to email.  I disputed with my CC company.  My guess is this is a 1-person show, using a contract mfg in China and they can't get the inventory to ship.  Probably cash strapped from buying in bulk qty.