New Apple Communication Device

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    It going to be a remote control using the tuning fork thingee and send high frequency pulses to your dog. The canine will then go over to your tv, and turn it on. He or she will also be able to power up your computer and get you a bottle of beer from the fridge.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    johnpgjohnpg Posts: 37member
    My guess is a bluetooth headset. There's the new bluetooth voice gateway in 10.2.5, and we are always speculating on iChat audio/video. So this is certainly a possibility. It would also be excellent for speech recognition.

John
  • Reply 23 of 81
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I've read a lot of posts from users at Macrumors who seem to believe that the rumored new product is a mini-tablet.

As an open question to everyone, what would you actually use the tablet for on a daily, at-home, basis? I've tried thinking of what I'd do with it and can't come up with any worthwhile ideas.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    A mini tablet would be cool. Apple push inkwell as one of the main features of MacOS X yet 90% of the computers do not have a tablet.

I small scetch pad type thing that was linked to stickies or other app would be nice. So you can jot notes with one hand while you hold the phone with the other.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    kormac's netboot device.

DNA.

think extended display and control.

think wireless controller.

thnx
  • Reply 26 of 81
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    apple branded game boy?!?!?!?!?!
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

apple branded game boy?!?!?!?!?!

How about Pippin 2!!! Now that would be cool.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I've read a lot of posts from users at Macrumors who seem to believe that the rumored new product is a mini-tablet.

As an open question to everyone, what would you actually use the tablet for on a daily, at-home, basis? I've tried thinking of what I'd do with it and can't come up with any worthwhile ideas.

How 'bout:

surfing the internet

checking email

browsing a Filemaker database

managing photos in iPhoto

listening to music in iTunes

looking up contact info in Address Book

checking your shedule in iCal

All while holding something small and wonderfully ergonomic while standing, walking, sitting, anytime, anywhere.

I'll take two.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    \\(Facetiousness Engaged)

The name of Apple's New iDevice will be : iDunno

What's it do : iDunno, but it will be cool.

\\(Facetiousness DisEngaged)

Sorry, I just had to do it . . . Don't know what came over me.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    The name should be iHype as a lot of people will get hyped up over this thing and then get disappointed when it is finally released.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    whatever it is, do any of us think we WILL NOT be impressed?

i am not sure what i'd like it to be more but i'm sure i'll be in awe...perhaps even shocked
  • Reply 32 of 81
    it's a freakin' smart display. a second screen for your main machine, but done right so you can take a dump and still read the latest rumor while you're at it.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

whatever it is, do any of us think we WILL NOT be impressed?

i am not sure what i'd like it to be more but i'm sure i'll be in awe...perhaps even shocked

I am always amazed at what Apple comes out with but there are some people out there that will be disappointed.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

If it has an IR port it could be the coolest remote control on the planet. Not only can you change channels and run the VCR you can (via WiFi and Safari) look up the TV schedule on TVGuide.com then check out the descriptions and reviews on IMDB.com and then while watching movies you can make jokes with your friends via iChat or you can doodle in AppleWorks with the touch sensitive screen or catch up on your email with Mail.app.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Think MP4. Not sure why, just a gut feeling.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Wireless IP telephone with an answering machine?
  • Reply 37 of 81
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Where's Harald when you need him?

Time for him to spill the beans, I think.

You called?

Not on the 28th, not at that presentation (a very very strong supposition; I ain't Steve and he could intro the 970 if he wanted). I may feel more voluble after the 28th though.

Some people were disappointed at the iPod when they heard about it ... only a bleddy MP3 player.

Then they held one.

Then they squinted, and their thoughts went something like: "If I buy one can I eat this month?"
  • Reply 38 of 81
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

If it has an IR port it could be the coolest remote control on the planet. Not only can you change channels and run the VCR you can (via WiFi and Safari) look up the TV schedule on TVGuide.com then check out the descriptions and reviews on IMDB.com and then while watching movies you can make jokes with your friends via iChat or you can doodle in AppleWorks with the touch sensitive screen or catch up on your email with Mail.app.

I have a program for this on my Palm, and it drains the batteries with its relatively weak IR emitter. But it is fully programable, with macros that allow you to turn on and adjust multiple devices with the push of one "button", and at times my Palm is easier to find than the remote .
  • Reply 39 of 81
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    From Spymac, for what it's worth:

Multiple sized tablets under development for new home portable market

A variety of information suggests that Apple is developing tablet-based systems utilizing a range of screen sizes.

The rumor follows Spymac's report that Apple will soon be tackling the new 'home portable' market, a demographic that will apparently be targeted with more than one product. Both 8" and 15" tablet systems are reportedly being prepared, says a previously reliable contact.

The home portable market, as sources call it, is an extension of Jobs' declared 'Year of the Laptop'. Apple earlier expanded the PowerBook line by splitting it into three models: the 12, 15 and 17incher.

A press conference has been scheduled for April 28 containing announcements that Apple promises 'will be music to your ears'. Macrumors speculates that a new "communicating device" may be released at the same event.

"Details are sparse... but reliable sources have indicated that Apple is going to be unveiling a new "communicating device" in the next few weeks," says MacRumors.

Obvious assumptions include iPod updates and the introduction of Apple's rumored music service.

_
  • Reply 40 of 81
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

You called?

.....Then they held one.

Then they squinted, and their thoughts went something like: "If I buy one can I eat this month?"

Are you implying a less expensive player? How to make it more affordable? What other storage options other than a hard drive are there? Any new technology around?