New folding iPad and refreshed iPad mini 7 now in 2024, says Kuo

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2023
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suspects there will be no new iPads in 2023, and that the expected folding iPad will be released in 2024 with a carbon fiber stand.

A current non-folding iPad Pro
A current non-folding iPad Pro

Kuo has previously predicted that a refreshed iPad mini could be released in late 2023, but might slip to early 2024. He's now saying that later date is the most likely.

He adds that this means it's possible there won't be any iPad releases in 2023, although it's not clear whether he's including the iPad Pro.

In a series of tweets, Kuo continues to say that the rumored forthcoming folding iPad will not be a replacement for the iPad mini, and instead will be a separate product.

"There may not be new iPad products in the next 9-12 months (the new iPad mini is more likely to be mass-produced in 1Q24)," he says (in translation), "so I am conservative about iPad shipments in 2023, and the shipments are expected to decline by 10-15% YoY."

"However, I am looking forward to the folding iPad in 2024, and expect this product to benefit shipments and improve the product mix," he continues.

"My latest research indicates that the foldable iPad will come with a carbon fiber stand," says Kuo, "which would make the stand lighter and more durable."

Kuo reports that Anjie Technology "is a polishing and bonding supplier of carbon fiber support frames for folding iPads."

Apple has previously been reported to be working on an iPhone fold, and has even tested production. But more recently, it's become expected that it's a folding iPad that Apple is concentrating on.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    In the tech world everyone’s crystal ball fogs up beyond six months. 
    aaplfanboyScot1lkruppwatto_cobrafred1pulseimagesFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 30
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Why does the world need a folding iPad? 

More complex to design and manufacture, with more parts and extra cabling to connect them across the two halves of the device. 

More likely to break or malfunction.

Thick when folded.

Potentially reduced internal space for battery versus non-folding iPad with same screen dimensions.  

Not really more convenient to carry.  

davgregravnorodomlkrupphmurchisonwatto_cobrapulseimagesFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

More complex to design and manufacture, with more parts and extra cabling to connect them across the two halves of the device. 

Thick when folded.

Potentially reduced internal space for battery versus non-folding iPad with same screen dimensions.  

I can conceivably see a benefit to a folding iPad (presuming it was done well, of course) more than for a phone.
    Benefit one would be not needing a case to protect the screen when not in use.
    Although thicker, a folding iPad would definitely be easier to carry in a smaller bag or by hand.
    Might be less subject to broken screens in some industrial/commercial environments.

watto_cobrabadmonkdanvmJFC_PAFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 4 of 30
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Nobody needs a folding iPad.
    I have both a mini and a 12.9 iPad Pro and have less than no interest.
    Leave folding displays to Android
    watto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 30

Thick when folded.

Not specifically addressed (falls under the more likely to break or malfunction) but the hinge also introduces an ingress point for debris, adding to the care needed to keep it functional/nice at best, and at worst would hinder its ability to work.  Unless of course apple figured out how to completely seal the hinge… but even then, there are all the other issues you’ve identified.

I really don’t see the use case here for a folding screen.  I think this is a case of:

“Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.” - Dr. Ian Malcolm
    watto_cobraroundaboutnowradarthekatFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 30
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member
    The only rational, I see today for a folding iPad is if when folded it fits in a doctor's lab coat while doing rounds. Then they can ditch the laptop.
    watto_cobrabadmonkpulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 30
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    omasou said:
    The only rational, I see today for a folding iPad is if when folded it fits in a doctor's lab coat while doing rounds. Then they can ditch the laptop.
    The resident or the intern carries the tablet….. God (doctor) does not. :smile: 
    edited January 2023 watto_cobraMBeardewmeravnorodomradarthekatFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 30
    mike1 said:

Might be less subject to broken screens in some industrial/commercial environments.

I don’t think so.  The points that have the highest chance of receiving damage are the corners.  Adding a hinge is not going to change that. A good rugged case is what will change that, and adding a hinge would actually make it harder to design a bulky case to protect it in such environments.
    watto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 9 of 30
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Thick when folded.

Because we see comments on tech blogs from users who say they are bored with the current products, labeling them as stale and uninteresting. Manufacturers are constantly throwing crap at the wall in hopes something will stick. What’s the next shiny bauble to play with? What’s the next big thing? Who’s going to be first to market. When something sorta kinda sticks to the wall, like folding screens, all the lemmings charge over to see the shiny new thing. 
    watto_cobraravnorodomradarthekatFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'm all over a iPad mini refresh. 

Begun to realize that 10" iPads are essentially "tweeners".   I either love the iPad mini size or the large 12.9 iPad. 

watto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 11 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    This is from the person who, hands down, has the best accuracy with respect to all things display related when it comes to Apple (well over 90% accuracy)

edited January 2023 watto_cobraravnorodomradarthekatFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JmVjdYE7qY
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 13 of 30
    I'm very hesitant to doubt the mostly reliable Kuo, especially when he speaks with certainty like this. But as other posters have noted, I also have the big question "Why?" especially considering this will probably be incredibly expensive if Samsung's foldable phone price is any indication. I've seen mentions that it would be protective of the screen, but doesn't a simply smart cover have that solved at low cost and minimal weight? 

Of course, a basis tenet of Jobs was that consumers can't tell you what they want, you have to create and show them what they want. It seems more than coincidental that when the iPad first debuted, it was met with the derisive question, "Why does anyone need a giant iPhone?" Well, almost 13 years later, it turns out that millions and millions of people do. So just because the use case for a foldable iPad doesn't seem all that obvious doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We shall see. 
    edited January 2023 radarthekatStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    davgreg said:
    Nobody needs a folding iPad.
    I have both a mini and a 12.9 iPad Pro and have less than no interest.
    Leave folding displays to Android

Wow. I'm trying think of a subject where I would be comfortable speaking for the entire world's population.
    Personally, I don't think I would need a folding iPad, but I would never presume that nobody would prefer it, given a choice.
    muthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 30
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Getting the far larger iPad into a more compact size for transport has some logic: more imho than doubling the thickness of a pocketed iPhone. 

I’d have to heft it but I’m not automatically rejecting it either: I travel and having a more transportable larger (than my iPhone)  device could be attractive. And when folded the display is automatically protected: a plus right there as no case would be mandatory to add weight, bulk and expense. Remember back to flip phones: were cases even offered?
    edited January 2023
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Does a foldable iPad necessarily mean the screen folds?

Perhaps it is an iPadOS device in laptop form factor, with permanently attached keyboard. Seems like lots of people get an accessory keyboard/cover for their iPad and leave it on, usually resulting in a package thicker than a current MacBook Air or even approaching a MacBook Pro. An integrated keyboard on an iPad-like device could be as slim and light as the old 12" MacBook or 11" MBA.

Of course, price is a factor--it could be close to a MacBook (or even more), so why not just get a MacBook? But for iPad devotees, a right-priced, lightweight, integrated iPad/keyboard could be attractive.
    ravnorodomStrangeDaysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 30
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member

Perhaps it is an iPadOS device in laptop form factor, with permanently attached keyboard. Seems like lots of people get an accessory keyboard/cover for their iPad and leave it on, usually resulting in a package thicker than a current MacBook Air or even approaching a MacBook Pro. An integrated keyboard on an iPad-like device could be as slim and light as the old 12" MacBook or 11" MBA.

Of course, price is a factor--it could be close to a MacBook (or even more), so why not just get a MacBook? But for iPad devotees, a right-priced, lightweight, integrated iPad/keyboard could be attractive.
    This is sort of what I envision a folding iPad would resemble (running iPadOS and Apple Silicon of course)

Zenbook 17 Fold OLED UX9702|Laptops For Home|ASUS Global
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Next thing they'll start predicting is no new iPhone until 2024. Seems as if everything else is moving to next year except $3k goggles. /s
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 19 of 30

This is sort of what I envision a folding iPad would resemble (running iPadOS and Apple Silicon of course)

Zenbook 17 Fold OLED UX9702|Laptops For Home|ASUS Global
    It looks cool but at the same time: Do I need it? What software takes advantage of that? Will my work flow be more productive? Also when it's folded, it's butt ugly thick. Yuk. Nah, no way Apple is going that route unless.... unless Apple knocks the socks off with supper thin folded iPad like how they first introduced MacBook Air which was sleek and sexy and truly a "Wow-Factor" back then.
    radarthekatroundaboutnow
  • Reply 20 of 30
    I miss when Apple used to innovate instead of just emulating.