Apple execs face allegations of union-busting by NLRB

Posted:
in General Discussion
According to the NLRB, higher-ups at Apple prevented workers from organizing by coercing workers and interfering with organization efforts.

Apple Park
Apple Park

In a statement, the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) believed Apple has violated the National Labor Relations Act. The NLRB said that it has "found merit to charge alleging statements and conduct by Apple -- including high-level executives -- also violated the National Labor Relations Act."

NLRB prosecutors say Apple's "various work rules" interfered with employees' rights to collective action.

As Bloomberg points out, unless Apple settles, the NLRB regional director will issue a complaint against the Cupertino-based tech giant.

In December, the NLRB announced that it had evidence that Apple used anti-union tactics to stop unionization efforts, including interrogating and coercing employees.

Apple has long been suspected of engaging in anti-union tactics, especially at its Atlanta, Georgia, location. In May, Apple Cumberland Mall retail workers accused the company of countering an ongoing union drive.

In October, Apple received a complaint from the NLRB over accusations of union-busting at a New York City store.

In November, Apple's retail store in the St. Louis Galleria Mall dropped its bid to unionize, blaming the company's hostility towards such efforts.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    When it was just accusations mostly in the press I was able to wait and see. 
    But that the NLRB has ruled that the accusations are accurate that changes things. It’s the difference between being accused, and being convicted. Now Apple needs to pay the piper for what they did. This will both hurt Apple directly through penalties, and hurt their image, their reputation. Apple needs to do some serious soul searching and clean house. This is not acceptable. 
    Ofermbenz1962muthuk_vanalingambyronlgatorguygrandact73FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Apple should just announce mass layoffs like other tech companies

unionize away!

FC49ermike1
  • Reply 3 of 9
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    NRLB “ believed”

That’s NLRB accusing; that’s not “convicting”. 
    edited January 2023 FC49erbyronlDooofustdknox
  • Reply 4 of 9
    DAalseth said:
    But that the NLRB has ruled that the accusations are accurate that changes things. It’s the difference between being accused, and being convicted. Now Apple needs to pay the piper for what they did. This will both hurt Apple directly through penalties, and hurt their image, their reputation. Apple needs to do some serious soul searching and clean house. This is not acceptable. 
    NLRB is worthless and does the bidding of who ever is in power at the moment. 
    mike1byronl
  • Reply 5 of 9
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The NLRB would like some cheese to go with their whine.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    FC49er said:
    DAalseth said:
    NLRB is worthless and does the bidding of who ever is in power at the moment. 
    What proof do you have to back your allegation? Taking a leaf out of your book, I can allege that you are a liar without needing to prove my allegation. 
    beowulfschmidtbyronlgrandact73FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 9
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Apple will appeal.   It will go on for years.   Leaking confidential information will continue to be a firing offense at Apple.    Good riddance 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    DAalseth said:

An accusation from the NLRB is definitely not equivalent to a conviction.  If NLRB has credible evidence, then they should be taking Apple to court, or settling directly, shortly.
    mike1byronlFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 9
    The NLRB findings are an important step. Apple has engaged a third party auditor to investigate the allegations; I suspect any court action will be delayed until those findings are available.

Let's hope Apple's motives are not a delaying tactic. I doubt it, but you never know. I'm really looking forward to finding out the facts of this situation.