Periscope camera exclusive to Ultra iPhone models through 2024

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2023
A new note from Ming-Chi Kuo states that Apple will include a periscope camera in only one model through 2025 -- the iPhone 15 Ultra and iPhone 16 Ultra.

iPhone 15 Ultra to gain periscope lens
iPhone 15 Ultra to gain periscope lens

Apple has been rumored to include a super zoom, or periscope camera in its premium iPhones for years. It seems the iPhone 15 Ultra will finally get the feature, and it will remain exclusive to Apple's largest and most premium model through the iPhone 16 cycle.

According to a tweet from Ming-Chi Kuo, the supply chain had expected the periscope camera to come to both iPhone 16 Pro models in 2024, not just the Ultra. No reason was provided for this change, but it is expected this will hurt revenue projections for the companies that provide the lenses.

(3/5)
Only one/the highest-end model of the new 2H24 iPhone 16 series may have a periscope camera, not the two models of market expectation. It's detrimental to Largan and Genius since the demand for lens upgrades will fall below expectations.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

A periscope lens is basically a folded lens that fits a longer optical zoom into a small space by turning the lens elements long-ways into the phone. Users are able to achieve much higher zoom without digital crop thanks to this -- 3x could jump to 10x or 50x depending on Apple's implementation.

The iPhone 15 Ultra is a name placeholder for the future 6.7-inch premium iPhone. Apple's naming schemes shift from time to time, and it is expected that the iPhone 15 Ultra is going to replace the iPhone 14 Pro Max in the lineup. So, this rumor suggests only the large pro iPhone will get the periscope camera through the next two cycles.

Kuo has been leaking information about Apple's plans for a periscope camera for a while now. He believes Apple will use alternative suppliers like Largan and Genius instead of Samsung.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Unless there is a real lack of space in the smaller version, I would hope that all the features are the same between the two Pro/Ultra models.\
    I would upgrade for this feature alone, but do not want the larger screen size at all.
    retrogustoforgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I doubt that will happen from here on out, Apple hasn’t differentiated between the two pro models as well as they should have in the past. Now they have the Ultra models for that exact reason, Samsung has their flagship model as well as most companies whether it’s a tech company or automobile company. In order for it to be Ultra it will have to have “exclusive” features. Lots of people don’t want to pay $1200 for a flagship phone just for the lower models to have the same features next year now we all have the same phone. That’ll help Apple with sales because those exclusive features will propel people to buy the flagship Ultra instead of the smaller Pro model.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    mike1 said:
    Unless there is a real lack of space in the smaller version, I would hope that all the features are the same between the two Pro/Ultra models.
    Then what would be the point of the Ultra model?
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I'm all for the larger screen -- it allows me to bump the font size by a point and read much easier w/o losing content off edge. I see your point -- carrying a large iPhone sometimes feels like carrying an iPad mini instead of a phone 😄 ✌️to all.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Hard pass. I will be keeping an eye out for the competition to feature this at a more reasonable price. 
  • Reply 6 of 15
    larrya said:
    Hard pass. I will be keeping an eye out for the competition to feature this at a more reasonable price. 
    Gurl! LMAO  :D
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    igorsky said:
    mike1 said:
    Unless there is a real lack of space in the smaller version, I would hope that all the features are the same between the two Pro/Ultra models.

I believe the rumor was that "Ultra" was going to replace the "Pro" branding, not be another level higher. The Watch was the start of that branding. There is no Pro Watch.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    Why should this surprise anyone?  This new camera tech is and shall remain "rumor" until the official public announcement by Apple, and of course Apple is known for bringing out the latest and greatest tech in the high end models first.  The tech then often filters down to lesser models over time.  Apple probably considers the periscope lens "bleeding edge" tech, which is why they would most likely add it exclusively to the large screen "Ultra" models, even knowing that not everyone wants such a large display.  But then a year later, in 2024, the tech would hit the iPhone "Pro" line too, which offers smaller screens and comparatively more "affordable" prices than the Ultra.

It's interesting that the "Pro" models are becoming the new mainstream model, whereas in the past it was the base model iPhone that was most popular.  But people buy Apple in spite of the price because they expect more "wow" features.  Remove the wow from base models, and people will flock to the higher end models, paying more as a result.  Apple marketing designed it that way.  And now we have talk of an iPhone "Ultra" to further that push buyers to the top.

With cost of living increases, high inflation and tech job losses galore, it's rather amazing to me how people don't cut back on their expenses when it comes to their iPhones.  Seems like no matter what the budget constraints are, millions continue to pay through the nose for the top end iPhone models.  Just amazing.  I know that advanced mobile phone tech is compelling, but it's another thing to go broke to get it.  Sure, I understand the way things are.  The iPhone is more than tech.  It's also a status symbol.  But the end result on consumers is hardly different than a drug addiction. Obtaining latest and greatest iPhone, regardless of cost, is their "fix."
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 15
    igorsky said:
    mike1 said:
    Yeah good point. It has to differentiate.

To me the Ultra would be created just to establish a new product class for a more niche audience who want zero compromises. It’ll be a high margin product. 

Perhaps Apple will go for a thicker design with more battery life, larger photo camera sensors and a rugged design? 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 10 of 15
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    larrya said:
    LOL!

[edited by moderator to remove insult.]   You haven't even gazed at what is available today!

https://pocketnow.com/best-smartphones-with-a-periscope-camera/

Of those, only the Samsung would be a reasonable choice in the U.S., and it isn't going to be at a "reasonable price" either.

samsung s22 ultra price
    edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    larrya said:
    You apparently haven't been looking very hard. Higher end Android phones have had persiscope lenses for years. Also: there is no competition for Apple in terms of features or prices. Anyone in the Apple ecosystem isn't leaving that level of integration with other products, plus better privacy and safety, to switch to a lower priced or more featured Android phone.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamforgot usernameradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    Would love but understand would never happen and Ultra Mini if this is the case. 

Make it thicker to flatten the back and increase battery life. size would make it nice and pocketable while returning one hand operation for when you are out on say a construction site carrying a set of plans, tape measure and other things. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    igorsky said:
    mike1 said:
    Jokes about iPhone ne plus Ultra
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I think it would be a mistake for Apple to split its Pro phones, where the 6.1 inch model retains the Pro name, while the current Max gets rebranded as Ultra with extra features. Buyers of the smaller Pro can certainly afford the extra hundred to get a Max, but they specifically don't choose it because they don't want a phablet-sized phone. The larger screen doesn't make the phone "more premium," it's just a choice for people who like a larger screen. So if Apple's best phone becomes exclusive to a screen size that many Pro buyers (probably the majority) don't want, Apple's going to piss off and disappoint a lot of Pro users. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Periscope camera came out like 6 years ago on Huawei P30 Pro, many years later Apple copies it 😂