White House calls Apple and Google 'harmful' in bid to cut app store fees

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    It’s all just a way for them to force a back door to the iOS. Has nothing to do with economics. 
    rob53williamlondonJWSCFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 88
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    rob53 said:
    charlesn said:
    …..

And by the way, if you're angry about this, posting here accomplishes nothing. Look up who represents you in the Senate and House if you don't already know, and email THEM. 
    You do realize that unless money accompanies that email nothing will be done. It’s been a long time since members of Congress actually listened to the 90%. Corporations and PACs run this country funded by the top 5%. The other 5% just plays around a lot doing nothing. 
    That is true but if enough of us write about this. Strength in numbers.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 88
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    It’s all just a way for them to force a back door to the iOS. Has nothing to do with economics. 
    I’ve said the same many times and know first hand what our government is trying to do. I had legal access to a large number of government computers allowing me to look at everything on these computers. If/When I found something not allowed I was legally allowed to take the computer and give it to our security and legal teams to investigate and in some cases immediately fire them and/or arrest them. We had no rights to privacy on government computers. Now they want unfettered access to non government computers and anyone who thinks they don’t has been drinking too much Kool Aid. 
    radarthekatFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 88
    rob53 said:
    charlesn said:
    …..

And by the way, if you're angry about this, posting here accomplishes nothing. Look up who represents you in the Senate and House if you don't already know, and email THEM. 
    You do realize that unless money accompanies that email nothing will be done. It’s been a long time since members of Congress actually listened to the 90%. Corporations and PACs run this country funded by the top 5%. The other 5% just plays around a lot doing nothing. 
    The flurry of lobbying by the tech companies in the U.S. appears to have stopped the antitrust part of the legislation for now. There are court cases that are going forward but those have a higher bar, i.e., they actually require convincing proof of antitrust activity. 
    williamlondonradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 88
    Idiots. I don't want an open ecosystem! So my voice will probably not be heard. Probably it will not as I live in Holland. America where most innovations come from will be crushed in a couple of years time. Chinese are watching too!
    Madbumradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 88
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Agree with general theme here, unlike something like Ticket Master, the silence from consumers on this issue is deafening (and I also suspect some of the political motivation here is due to campaign contributions and influence of competitors).

If politicians wanted to unleash the economy they would combat the high price of education and healthcare.  In both cases, the leadership of these institutions have lost their way and forgotten their mandates of providibg service to the larger society.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 88
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    Madbum said:
    This White House , which I regretfully voted For

is fast tracking our families  to a Nuclear War vs Russia….

is helping European Union bashing America’s greatest companies while doing nothing against European companies 

a complete shit show in more ways than one ….
    😂😂😂

I was waiting for someone to tie this into EU-bashing. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdarkvaderwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 88
    ranson said: I fail to understand how this compromises YOUR security. It's very simple. If YOU don't want to use a third party store or sideloading to have access to an app, then YOU don't have to. See, no security problem for you. But others, who want to put software on their phone that Apple has declined to list in their App Store, should have that opportunity, given it is their device that they own.  None of that compromises YOUR security in any way.
    That would only be true if there was a legal requirement for developers to make their app available in the App Store as well as in third party stores. 

C'mon man, that's nonsense. First, such a "legal requirement" would be wholly unconstitutional. Nobody can require someone to sell their product in places they do not wish. Imagine if a law was passed requiring Sony to sell Playstations in both Target and Wal-mart.

Secondly, again, if the only reason you can trust an app is because it's in Apple's store, then you are holding on to a false sense of security. If you see an app in Apple's store, and think to yourself that the only reason you're buying is because it's in Apple's Store and you couldn't trust it otherwise; then you're doing it wrong.
    edited February 2023 darkvaderwilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, let ‘em do it and let the chips fall where they may. And when a user comes to the Apple Discussion forums because an app from a third party store bricked their device volunteers can tell them to get lost. When they want refunds because their kid ran up a thousand dollar bill on Fortnite Apple can tell them “too bad, so sad”, ask Eric for your refund.

And wait, what? I thought there already were third party Android app stores. Someone please enlighten me.
    edited February 2023 mike1FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 88
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:

is helping European Union bashing America’s greatest companies while doing nothing against European companies 

😂😂😂

Well, do you see EU bash their own companies? No they know how to protect their own and tax base.

but current American government stands with Europeans more than Americans ….
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 88
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:

😂😂😂

Curious which European companies we should be concerned about?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 88
    ranson said: I fail to understand how this compromises YOUR security. It's very simple. If YOU don't want to use a third party store or sideloading to have access to an app, then YOU don't have to. See, no security problem for you. But others, who want to put software on their phone that Apple has declined to list in their App Store, should have that opportunity, given it is their device that they own.  None of that compromises YOUR security in any way.
    That would only be true if there was a legal requirement for developers to make their app available in the App Store as well as in third party stores. 

Market forces should drive them to make their apps available in both places, if the numbers of consumers who want the security of the Apple ecosystem are truly as large as we’re claiming here.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 88
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    The thing that is MAINLY 100% BS about this WHOLE discussion is: APPS are ESSENTIALLY FREE!!!!

If there are business apps on the store I would say 99% of them are free, i.e. store type apps.

The fact that we are discussing this because some "Video Games" are having a "Hard Time" is ludicrous!

Entertainment, and Entertainment Value, I honestly think has no place in politics!!

The Apps are effing FREE!!

Laters...
  • Reply 34 of 88
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, let ‘em do it and let the chips fall where they may. And when a user comes to the Apple Discussion forums because an app from a third party store bricked their device volunteers can tell them to get lost. When they want refunds because their kid ran up a thousand dollar bill on Fortnite Apple can tell them “too bad, so sad”, ask Eric for your refund.

And wait, what? I thought there already were third party Android app stores. Someone please enlighten me.
    You have already spoken about this and I agreed to your earlier post on this. Less than 1% of Android users use the third party app stores in Android. That is not going to change anytime soon because convenience and trust outweigh any other factor (price, availability etc).
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Madbum said:
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:

😂😂😂

Well, do you see EU bash their own companies? No they know how to protect their own and tax base.

I already addressed your lies over in the other thread. 

Matter of fact, yes, the VAST majority of antitrust suits within the EU are filed against EU companies — obviously, since the vast majority of companies doing business there are EU companies, and there's no shortage of snivelling assholes in those businesses, any more than in US companies. 

You just never read about anything that doesn't concern US businesses in whatever ignorant little bubble you're living in. 
    muthuk_vanalingamdarkvaderwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 88
    DarkMouze said:
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:

ߘⰟ肰

Curious which European companies we should be concerned about?
    Don't expect an answer to that question from @Madbum ;
    edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 88
    Madbum said:
    spheric said:
    Madbum said:

😂😂😂

Do you really expect us to see coverage in the media of European regulation of European companies? Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. The companies we’re talking about here are technically American companies, but they’re really fully international in their scope, size and influence. Not surprising they get attention from everywhere.
    muthuk_vanalingamdarkvadersphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 88
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    ranson said:
    Hedware said:
    Somehow everybody gets asked except for consumers. As a owner of Apple products,  I do not want my privacy and security compromised because some lazy developers want to have open skies. They should attempt to build some decent apps. 
    I fail to understand how this compromises YOUR security. It's very simple. If YOU don't want to use a third party store or sideloading to have access to an app, then YOU don't have to. See, no security problem for YOU. But others, who want to put software on their phone that Apple has declined to list in their App Store, should have that opportunity, given it is their device that they own.  None of that compromises YOUR security in any way.

I hear the argument that "well, there are apps that will move to their own stores instead of Apple's, and then we can't trust the app maker to not do nefarious things."  Fine, then don't install the app. If you can't trust their product because it's not in Apple's Store, then frankly, you can't trust the app at all and should not use it. Note that numerous scam apps are in the Apple Store already (see this AI article from just this morning), and popular apps like Tik Tok and Facebook actively track you in spite of the tracking transparency options. So again, if you think you wouldn't be able to trust them outside of the Apple store, those apps being in the Apple store is really no different. It's a completely false sense of security.

So nobody's security is unwillingly compromised here. We are adults, and we can make informed decisions about what apps to install, even when it runs counter to Apple's opinion. This harms no one except those who choose to go down that road and make bad choices.
    You underestimate the propensity for the big app developers to lead the way out of the App Store in order to exercise their own power and to increase their ability to scrape and sell user data, etc., as well as the propensity of smaller developers to take the easy path and sidestep the App Store because they think they're too smart to need pesky quality reviews of their work.

You create a false equivalence between what developers try to get away with in their App Store releases, and what they'll absolutely get away with if there are no constraints. If they can get away with everything already anyway, those developers wouldn't be lobbying so hard to escape the App Store requirement. Also, if you read the article you linked, you'll note that Apple removed the scam apps as soon as they were aware of them. That protection disappears as soon as side-loading is forced to become a thing.

Ultimately, the results of forced allowance for side-loaded apps will be less choice for security-minded iPhone users. 

Right now there's a take-it-or-leave-it proposition for developers if they want access to iPhone users. Follow the Apple App Store requirements or not. If they choose "not," then they're not on the platform. In this case, the power is in the consumer's hands.

Forcing Apple to allow side-loading and alternate app stores flips the dynamic, and more consumers will have take-it-or-leave-it options for choosing apps. In this case, the power is in the developers' hands.

williamlondonroundaboutnowFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Not the biggest fan of Google and the way they go about security but Brandon and the WH can seriously efff off and stop attacking Google and Apple. The main reason I stick with Apple’s ecosystem is it’s more secure than it’s completion and I’m more comfortable and trusting of Apple than I even am of Google in this respect.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 88
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    ranson said:
    Hedware said:
    Somehow everybody gets asked except for consumers. As a owner of Apple products,  I do not want my privacy and security compromised because some lazy developers want to have open skies. They should attempt to build some decent apps. 
    I fail to understand how this compromises YOUR security. It's very simple. If YOU don't want to use a third party store or sideloading to have access to an app, then YOU don't have to. See, no security problem for YOU. But others, who want to put software on their phone that Apple has declined to list in their App Store, should have that opportunity, given it is their device that they own.  None of that compromises YOUR security in any way.

I hear the argument that "well, there are apps that will move to their own stores instead of Apple's, and then we can't trust the app maker to not do nefarious things."  Fine, then don't install the app. If you can't trust their product because it's not in Apple's Store, then frankly, you can't trust the app at all and should not use it. Note that numerous scam apps are in the Apple Store already (see this AI article from just this morning), and popular apps like Tik Tok and Facebook actively track you in spite of the tracking transparency options. So again, if you think you wouldn't be able to trust them outside of the Apple store, those apps being in the Apple store is really no different. It's a completely false sense of security.

So nobody's security is unwillingly compromised here. We are adults, and we can make informed decisions about what apps to install, even when it runs counter to Apple's opinion. This harms no one except those who choose to go down that road and make bad choices.
    It compromises everyone's security because if Apple has to modify iOS to allow side-loaded apps it makes it much, much easier, for criminals, the government, unscrupulous developers to maliciously load malware and spyware onto your phone. Period.

But remember how much cheaper software used to be before the App Store? Oh, wait, that's right, software got orders of magnitude cheaper after the launch of the App Store. 

mike1radarthekatroundaboutnowFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra