20.5-inch MacBook Pro with foldable display rumored for 2025, no folding iPad in 2024

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2023
Rumors continue to collide over how Apple will roll out a foldable product, with the latest from Ross Young suggesting a folding-display 20.5-inch MacBook Pro is in the works for 2025.

A folding-display notebook may release before a folding iPhone
A folding-display notebook may release before a folding iPhone

The supply chain seems to be in flux as multiple conflicting reports have come in from reliable leakers. Initial rumors suggested a foldable iPad was coming in 2024, but that has since been challenged.

Ross Young of Display Supply Chain Consultants shared that he's heard about a 20.5-inch foldable notebook for 2025, but not heard anything about a foldable iPad for 2024. This was a tweet response to Gurman's comment on foldables.

Have heard about a 20.5" foldable notebook for 2025, but nothing about a foldable iPad for 2024. Maybe this is just good PR for the hinge company

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

The two agree that Apple isn't planning on releasing a folding iPad mini in 2024, which is in direct contrast to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's earlier report. However, Young takes it a step further, suggesting a larger device was due in 2025.

Apple has been granted patents for a large folding-display laptop like the one Young mentions, so the company is definitely working on such a product. However, rumors have been all over the place about if, when, and how Apple will enter the foldable market.

Of course, there's always the option that Apple never releases a folding product. Samsung's latest quarter delivered its lowest profit in 8 years, and it's primary advertising push has been all about foldables and how Apple doesn't have one.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Bah!? 2025? No reason to believe anything that far away. The rumormongers are having a hard time with 3 to 6 months let alone 2 to 3 years.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Foldable phones don't make much sense (remember the flip phone? So gone now)... a foldable tablet might, in some cases (certainly makes them more portable, and they are more deliberately used devices than a phone which we use 100 times an hour), making flipping stupid.

A foldable MacBook I presume would mean left/right "wings" that open up for a wider display (not sure how the whole mess closes elegantly) but this could be of interest to a few different segments, creatives being first that comes to mind...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    Please note that the quoted source mentions a 20.5" foldable notebook, not a 20.5" notebook with a foldable display. 

Every MacBook Pro currently on the market is a "foldable notebook."

I think this is an exercise in Apple Insider staff not reading carefully and therefore not getting the joke.
    FileMakerFellerCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    "Foldable" sounds neat in concept, and rumors tend to make logical sense in light of the fact foldable tech has been on the market for a while now.  But I can't help but see this more as a "me too" move than anything else.  Foldability would likely increase the cost of the MacBook Pro. Any creases, however slight, would be noticed by Apple product fans and make it less "stunning."  A foldable display would also likely make the notebook less durable, and therefore give it the potential to be another tech repeat of the butterfly keyboard fiasco.  

I still remember vividly how many people in this very forum sang praises from the highest hill about the butterfly keyboard, and even bashed me when I said I didn't like it and wanted Apple to return to better keyboard tech. Then Apple ditched that "innovative, new and here-to-stay" butterfly keyboard and went back to older but better tech.  Now everyone chastises it, and its fans tend to stay in silence as a result.  

I agree Apple needs to innovate, but foldable tech carries a lot of big risks for the company.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,987member
    Seriously. This click-bait is based solely on an AI writer's interpretation that the phrase 20.5" foldable notebook = 20.5-inch MacBook Pro with foldable display.

Every MacBook Pro is a foldable notebook
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    oldenboomoldenboom Posts: 29unconfirmed, member
    I'm so totally not interested in foldable screens. Not on a macbook, not on a phone. Okay, it would be cool to be see portable foldable cinema screens unfold to at least 34" or maybe even 80" or something. Won't buy one though but I'm sure some niche market does exist for it.
    iOS_Guy809secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Hopefully 1:1.41 ratio to be A3 paper size (20.25inch) when flat. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Truth is nobody really knows. If   has to
    boost it revenue or profits we may see it early next year
    if not it’s years away
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,256member
    I’m far more skeptical of foldable displays than I am of AR/VR. I don’t know when exactly there will be a compelling AR/VR product, but I believe there will eventually be one. I’m not confident foldable displays will ever be compelling. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Please..there is no market for that yet. No way Apple will come to market with whatever we saw on CES.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Probably the one possible end product that makes sense. 

Yet, the iPad/iPhone style keyboard would absolutely suck to work with all day. 

It’s a neat idea. But I doubt it works out well in actual use. 

Rather have a 17-18” notebook and/or a 32” or greater iMac Pro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    AppleZulu said:
    Seriously. This click-bait is based solely on an AI writer's interpretation that the phrase 20.5" foldable notebook = 20.5-inch MacBook Pro with foldable display.

Every MacBook Pro is a foldable notebook
    LOL. Well stated. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Probably the one possible end product that makes sense. 

Yet, the iPad/iPhone style keyboard would absolutely suck to work with all day. 

It’s a neat idea. But I doubt it works out well in actual use. 

Rather have a 17-18” notebook and/or a 32” or greater iMac Pro. 
    Alot of people keyboard isn't main input device so no screen pad of lots of icons for tool would be better than keyboard. 

Still At my desk I'd prop it up on a stand with say a MagSafe charger or more likely USB-c to a second screen. 
    With full size keyboard and mouse or carry a slim bluetooth one in the bag out and about. Apple Pencil 3 that doubles as mouse on non screen surface would be a great accessory for this as well. 

watto_cobra