Apple says popular demand brought back the HomePod

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple executives say that "growing interest" in a larger HomePod caused them to revisit the decision to discontinue the original model.

The new HomePod is priced at $299
The new HomePod is priced at $299

When Apple discontinued its first HomePod in March 2021, the company said that it would be focusing instead on the lower-cost HomePod mini. Then following rumors of its return, a new and slightly revised HomePod was announced in January 2023, with availability from February 3, 2023.

"We really did hear from our customers this growing interest for more powerful and richer acoustics of a larger speaker," an Apple spokesperson has told TechCrunch.

The spokesperson confirmed that Apple had not originally intended to revisit the HomePod. But having made the decision to bring it back, the company says it learned from what it felt it had achieved with the product.

"We deeply studied the learnings from the first HomePod and HomePod mini," said Matthew Costello, Apple's vice president, Hardware Engineering and Operations, "and we introduced the new HomePod when it was able to achieve our broad range of experience goals."

Costello did not specify what those goals were, but it did not involve changing the fundamental design of the HomePod. "Our teams really, really love this direction, in terms of the shape and the form," he said. "And we were able to create a wonderful system within that structure."

Nonetheless, the new HomePod is sufficiently different that Apple chose to not allow it to be used in a stereo pair with the original model.

"When creating a stereo pair, it's important that the audio characteristics match for an optimal, balanced experience," explained Costello. "The new HomePod delivers immersive, room-filling sound users love -- with even more detail, clarity and layers than the original HomePod -- so we wanted the acoustical imaging to be as pure and consistent as possible from generation to generation."

"The principle of having audio characteristics match in a stereo pair applies to HomePod mini, the original HomePod and the new HomePod," he continued.

Initial reviews of the new HomePod tend to praise its audio quality, while noting that there isn't a great difference from the original.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Another example of the constant negativity spread around on tech blogs that doesn’t match the actual market. What real users like and want is usually different from what the technorati and so-called prosumers demand. The blog universe went apoplectic when the M1 arrived with no upgradeable memory or storage yet Macs are selling in numbers never seen before. 

I, for one, choose to believe Apple’s explanation for why they brought back the full sized HomePod. Why else would they unless they see demand?
    racerhomie3williamlondonmike1gregoriusmmacxpressdavwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    lkrupp said:
    Another example of the constant negativity spread around on tech blogs that doesn’t match the actual market. What real users like and want is usually different from what the technorati and so-called prosumers demand. The blog universe went apoplectic when the M1 arrived with no upgradeable memory or storage yet Macs are selling in numbers never seen before. 

I, for one, choose to believe Apple’s explanation for why they brought back the full sized HomePod. Why else would they unless they see demand?

We must have read different blogs on the M1. On the HomePod, there is no reason to doubt the explanation on why they brought it back. But the fact remains that they discontinued it in the first place.
    edited February 2023 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Good thing they had a press release to tell their customers of the demand for the product so they know to rush out and buy them before they are all gone.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Reading between the lines: the original HP wasn’t discontinued due to lack of interest but due to not delivering the profit margin Apple wanted. In other words, $299 was the sweet spot and it hadn’t been designed to sell at $299. 
    bala1234appleinsideruserSpitbathdewmeroundaboutnowwatto_cobraforgot username
  • Reply 5 of 11
    nubusnubus Posts: 380member
    It seems Apple got inspired by McRib and Tom Brady. I fully expect Apple to reintroduce HomePod again and again.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Reading between the lines: the original HP wasn’t discontinued due to lack of interest but due to not delivering the profit margin Apple wanted. In other words, $299 was the sweet spot and it hadn’t been designed to sell at $299. 
    This actually makes a ton of sense.
    bala1234roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    While there’s probably some truth to this, it didn’t sound like the OG was moving too quickly even with the price drop. It wasn’t until they upgraded the Apple TV to include eARC, that inventory started moving.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Apple Media Training Buzzword Bingo:
    "rich"
    "deep"
    "love"
    "wonder"
    "immersive"
    "detail"
    "clarity"

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Strangely it is launch day for the new HomePod and my original HomePods have suddenly started working fine again today. They were giving errors similar to "Sorry I cannot complete your request at this time. Try again later." 50% of the time for at least a month. I've been trying all day to get Siri to misbehave and she has been good. Crossing my fingers it sticks. 

Apple, if you are listening... bring realtime audio playback like the Apple TV has to the Mac and I'll buy another pair of HomePod 2nd editions immediately.
    edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Sounds untrue! After the 14.6 update they started giving popping sounds and dying! Mine even has a burnt smell to it. No replacement program or fix from Apple.
    forgot username
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Strangely it is launch day for the new HomePod and my original HomePods have suddenly started working fine again today. They were giving errors similar to "Sorry I cannot complete your request at this time. Try again later." 50% of the time for at least a month. I've been trying all day to get Siri to misbehave and she has been good. Crossing my fingers it sticks. 

Apple, if you are listening... bring realtime audio playback like the Apple TV has to the Mac and I'll buy another pair of HomePod 2nd editions immediately.
    Been there for a year or two:

edited February 2023 roundaboutnowwatto_cobra