Anker admits that Eufy cameras were never encrypted

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2023
Anker has admitted that its line of Eufy security cameras was not fully end-to-end encrypted but has begun implementing changes to solve the issue.

In November, A security researcher discovered that Anker's Eufy security cameras sent user images and information to the cloud without the owners' consent -- even if the user didn't pay for a cloud subscription.

As it turns out, not only did Eufy upload content to the cloud, its camera streams could be watched live using an app like VLC if you knew the URL to the videos.

And, instead of patching the issue, the company merely warned users that their content was uploaded to the cloud under specific circumstances.

In a series of emails to The Verge, Anker admitted that Eufy security cameras are not natively end-to-end encrypted. In addition, the cameras also produced unencrypted video streams for Eufy's web portal, which can be accessed using media players.

However, the company has gone on to say that it has begun implementing fixes to solve these issues. It plans to update Eufy cameras to use WebRTC, which is encrypted by default.

Anker has also apologized for its lack of communication and agreed to bring in outside security companies to audit its practices.

Eufy has had prior security issues, too. In May of 2021, Eufy owners discovered cameras owned by other users were viewable in the app instead of what they were expecting to see from their own cameras, and settings could be changed by those granted bogus access.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 382member
    This sort of egregious behavior is why I will no longer be buying Anker products.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bonobob said:
    This sort of egregious behavior is why I will no longer be buying Anker products.
    I'm also scared of Google and Microsoft these days. It goes without saying that I'm petrified of Meta/FaceBook and Amazon. I do have "mild concerns" with Apple too, but fairly light ones for now.

I won't buy a "Smart TV" from many manufacturer. Since almost all TVs these days are smart, I'll probably never buy another TV.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    I won't buy a "Smart TV" from many manufacturer. Since almost all TVs these days are smart, I'll probably never buy another TV.
    My solution is not to connect my Smart TV to my home wifi and use my AppleTV to provide my 'smart' services instead.
    muthuk_vanalingamibillauxiobala1234appleinsideruserlolliverStrangeDaysFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabonobob
  • Reply 4 of 9
    adyb said:
    My solution is not to connect my Smart TV to my home wifi and use my AppleTV to provide my 'smart' services instead.
    This is the way
    lolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    adyb said:
    You don't necessarily need to go that far. Depending on the brand you can often disable most of the trackable smart services.

Then you can still update the firmware, and use Homekit to control it (if it has that support). I use my AppleTV for all the Smart functions otherwise.
    edited February 2023 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mknelson said:
    adyb said:
    You don't necessarily need to go that far. Depending on the brand you can often disable most of the trackable smart services.

Then you can still update the firmware, and use Homekit to control it (if it has that support). I use my AppleTV for all the Smart functions otherwise.
    While true, you then have to be on constant lookout for "firmware" upgrades that re-enable them.  Too much of a pain in the butt.  Easier to do what adyb said.  Yes, you run the risk of not getting "security" updates, but if the TV isn't connected to the network, the need for those pretty much goes away anyway.
    appleinsideruserFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabonobob
  • Reply 7 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    bonobob said:
    I'm also scared of Google and Microsoft these days. It goes without saying that I'm petrified of Meta/FaceBook and Amazon. I do have "mild concerns" with Apple too, but fairly light ones for now.

Or just, you know, don’t hook it up to a network. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So when will the class action lawsuits be filed? If this were Apple there would already ready be dozens filed. Oh wait, Anker is not Apple.
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I love their chargers, but with this culture - I am looking then for some other brand ..
    watto_cobrabonobob