Jeff Williams has taken control of Apple's industrial design team

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has decided to eliminate the role of industrial design chief after Evans Hankey announced her departure from the position, and the team will start reporting to Jeff Williams.

Jeff Williams will oversee Apple industrial designers
Jeff Williams will oversee Apple industrial designers

Hankey, the replacement for vice president of industrial design Jony Ives, made the announcement in October that she would leave Apple.

Now, Bloomberg reports that Apple's core group of about 20 industrial designers will report to Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer. The company will also give more prominent roles to a group of Apple's longest-tenured designers.

Hankey had reported to Williams since taking on the industrial design role in 2019, when Jony Ive left to start his own company called LoveFrom. Ive worked for Apple for nearly three decades.

Apple split up its design group even before Ive left, however. As he stepped back from his day-to-day role at the company, the design team was split into industrial design to cover hardware and a separate group to focus on user interfaces in software, which Alan Dye continues to lead.

Apple reportedly had a difficult time in choosing a replacement for Hankey. The company wanted to hire from within instead of choosing someone from the outside.

However, at least 15 of Ive's top design team members have left the company. Many still remain.

The move adds more responsibilities to Jeff Williams, who some have seen as a potential successor to Tim Cook. Williams is in charge of worldwide operations, the supply chain, AppleCare customer care, software engineering for the watch and health initiatives, and now design.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    Jeff Williams has too much on his plate already.  So if indeed he does eventually replace Cook and take on more responsibilities, who will replace Williams in the position he has now?  This is an important consideration in light of Apple's amazing success under Cook.  Butterfly keyboards and bad mouse charging ports be darned, AAPL has done so well under Cook it lights one's pants on fire.  Naturally, we all hope their string of successes will continue into the foreseeable future.
    FileMakerFellerracerhomie3watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    I guess I could apply. I’m pretty good with CAD and wouldn’t do anything as bad as the Butterfly Keyboard. <grin>
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jdw said:
    Jeff Williams has too much on his plate already.  So if indeed he does eventually replace Cook and take on more responsibilities, who will replace Williams in the position he has now?  This is an important consideration in light of Apple's amazing success under Cook.  Butterfly keyboards and bad mouse charging ports be darned, AAPL has done so well under Cook it lights one's pants on fire.  Naturally, we all hope their string of successes will continue into the foreseeable future.
    He might be able to choose which of his responsibilities match to his strengths and delegate the rest.
    cgWerkswatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Hankey was not bad for the short time she had as the head. Sad to see her go
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 7
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    jdw said:
    I don’t think this is a permanent move. I think the executive management team wants to be more hands on for now. It gives Williams time to get to really see how the team performs individually and to possibly train someone to take on the roll down the road 
    jony0byronl
  • Reply 6 of 7
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    cgWerks said:
    I guess I could apply. I’m pretty good with CAD and wouldn’t do anything as bad as the Butterfly Keyboard. <grin>
    Heh, that position doesn’t do any design. Your time will be entirely focused on employee reviews, psychotherapy for your employees, managing your employee’s time, and attending management meetings the other half of the time.🤪

cgWerks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    tht said:
    Heh, that position doesn’t do any design. Your time will be entirely focused on employee reviews, psychotherapy for your employees, managing your employee’s time, and attending management meetings the other half of the time.🤪

Good point, which is why I’d never, ever want a job like that.