Fastest G4 Cube possible?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I always loved the cube and I was thinking about getting one off of eBay.

What are the fastest cpu/video card's that will fit into the cube?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Totally depends on how much hacking about of the Cube you want to do: some folks have got Radeon 9000s in there, but you end up having to make new IDE ribbon cables and move the DC-DC converter board around inside the core.

More detailed information can be found in the CubeOwner FAQ.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    1GHz Single G4 from Powerlogix

Apple-brand GeForce 3

That's without any hacking.

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 7
    praxispraxis Posts: 30member
    1.2ghz (perhaps a dual 1ghz soon?)

Geforce3/ATI 9000/7500 (some mods required)

SuperDrive from MCE

• Reply 4 of 7
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    pardon my ignorance, but didn the cube have no pci slots, or expansions options at all? how could one get a new proc in there? did they install new mobo?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

pardon my ignorance, but didn the cube have no pci slots, or expansions options at all? how could one get a new proc in there? did they install new mobo?

The cube uses basically the same motherboard as older G4 Powermacs except that it does not have any PCI cards. It does contain however a AGP card slot and three Ram slots.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

Graphics cards and CPUs don't use PCI slots, PCI is too slow for them. Graphics cards use AGP (basically a faster PCI), and Apple G4s use Sawtooth daughtercards. The Cube has both.

Barto
  • Reply 7 of 7
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    The processor is piggy-backed onto the rear of the motherboard, sunggled up close to the huge heatsink that forms the centre of the machine. It's nice engineering.

Dual 1GHz upgrades (sorry, I missed this bit earlier) seem to be the most that anyone will recommend, and these require an uprated DC-DC converter if you don't want Cube Flambé.