'Myst' is coming back to iPhone & iPad for 30th anniversary

Posted:
in iOS
A fully 3D version of "Myst," dubbed "Myst Mobile," is getting an iPhone and iPad release.

Myst Mobile on a fifth-gen iPad Air
Myst Mobile on a fifth-gen iPad Air

Created 30 years ago, the legendary puzzle game Myst was a commercial success and even helped accelerate the sale of CD-ROM drives.

Now, Myst Mobile will make its way to iPhone and iPad.

The title is a port of the 2021 remastered original, which has been available to play on PC and Oculus headsets.

From @cyanworlds, Myst Mobile, the mobile port of their legendary game Myst, is coming to iOS

Visit the intriguing Myst Island, stunning and mysterious in equal measure, where a story of ruthless betrayal awaits

Press/Creators: email in bio for review code etc. pic.twitter.com/DcLux4KqWu

-- Kris Wingfield-Bennett (@kriswb)

Myst Mobile will be compatible with iPhones and iPads with A12 bionic chips and newer. This includes iPhone models such as iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR and newer.

iPad models such as the eighth-generation iPad, fifth-generation iPad mini, and the third-generation iPad Air and newer will also be able to play.

Myst Mobile will be available to download for free, allowing players to explore the game's first location without restriction. To unlock the rest of the game, it will cost $14.99.

While it was announced on Friday, Myst Mobile does not have a release date yet.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Well, there goes my Spring.
    sflagelJP234CluntBaby92FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Sign me up for this.  I was a huge fan of Myst and "Riven" when it first came out 30 years ago.  I even bought the "Myst" books which sucked me into that world even more.  Even though it is considered low-tech, to me it still was one of the most amazing games to this day.  The storyline was so captivating and immersive that one could dismiss the slideshow graphics at the time.

Looking forward to seeing this!
    JapheygregoriusmsflagelJP234CluntBaby92ravnorodomwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 3 of 11
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Omg, awesome!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    A fair price to pay for the 2021 remaster. I’m not sure how good the experience would be on an iPhone, but I’d get the iPad version.
    DAalsethJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    So is a port of myst mean it’s just the same game we already played?  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    So is a port of myst mean it’s just the same game we already played?  
    Yes, that’s what it sounds like.  I’d pay for a remastered version of Pillars of Garandel too. Some games are worth replaying and for me Myst is one.
    edited February 2023 ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    The graphic looks much refined now from looking at the picture. I think Myst was the first CD-ROM game back in the day. CD-ROM was new back then. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I may just have to revisit…
  • Reply 9 of 11
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    I never got the chance to play Myst back in the day as I moved straight to The Settlers which has been one of my favourite games for a long long time. I’d be extremely happy to pay for Myst on iPad/iPhone at the price mentioned - or even a bit more - as I’m more of a pay once game player. What I can’t stand is the continuous obsession with in-app purchases to progress games. I just don’t play them and so it’s a revenue loss to the studios that promote these type of games.

Give me a good game I can pay once for and I’m in most times… old fashioned, perhaps, but it makes far more sense to me and Myst looks to be one that I will splash out for… finally.
    DAalsethravnorodomFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sflocal said:
    Sign me up for this.  I was a huge fan of Myst and "Riven" when it first came out 30 years ago.  I even bought the "Myst" books which sucked me into that world even more.  Even though it is considered low-tech, to me it still was one of the most amazing games to this day.  The storyline was so captivating and immersive that one could dismiss the slideshow graphics at the time.

Looking forward to seeing this!
    It’s funny, I found that I liked every other Myst game. Myst was wonderful. Rivin was just too hard. too much of turn this knob in one world to activate this thing in another world, but only if you flipped a lever in a third. The puzzles were just too obscure. Three I liked, four not so much, but I liked five. Never got to play URU though. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    The graphic looks much refined now from looking at the picture. I think Myst was the first CD-ROM game back in the day. CD-ROM was new back then. 
    7th Guest came our before Myst, same year tho. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game
    edited February 2023