New super high-end iPhone could arrive by 2024

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2023
Apple is thinking about extending the Pro line of iPhone even farther upwards, with a report from a reliable leaker insisting it could arrive in 2024.

An iPhone
An iPhone "Ultra" could be on the way

Rumors since the middle of 2022 have put forward the notion that Apple could rebrand the iPhone 15 Pro Max as the "Ultra" model, as part of a bigger upgrade cycle. If one report is to be believed, Apple may save the Ultra name for an entirely new model instead.

Posted in Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman writes that Apple has considered the possibility of adding a third option to its Pro range. Instead of rebranding the Pro Max, Apple instead "could add an even higher-end iPhone above both Pro models," Gurman offers.

Apple has allegedly been internally discussing the prospect, with the possibility of bringing out just such a device for the 2024 cycle, rather than as part of the iPhone 15 generation.

As for what the new higher-end edition would introduce versus the Pro range, Gurman offers there could be some camera improvements, an even faster chip, and a larger display. He also proposes that the model could feature an entirely port-less design, lacking both Lightning and USB-C.

Previous iPhone 15 Ultra rumors included a significant external design with a curved bottom edge, titanium edges, USB-C or Thunderbolt connectivity, two selfie cameras, a periscoping telephoto lens, and an under-display Touch ID sensor.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Ultra delicious news, I’ll just send Apple a blank check🤑
    jfabula1fred1watto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 2 of 37
    I would welcome the return of TouchID to be used alongside FaceID.
    WhiskeyAPPLEciderwatto_cobraM68000jfabula1tyler82ravnorodomwilliamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 37
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Make sense.  It’ll be odd just to just have a single Pro model without different performance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    I cannot wait to carry around a 30 inch iPhone.
    LeftyLisadk49bala1234ravnorodomwilliamlondonpulseimagesSkeptical
  • Reply 5 of 37
    If the Ultra is only in Purse Size I’ll pass….
    macplusplusramanpfaffmike1watto_cobrawilliamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 37
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    iPhone Ultra = iPhone fold.  This would justify significant cost increase and value  
    doozydozenwatto_cobrabala1234ravnorodomaaplfanboy
  • Reply 7 of 37
    DuhSesame said:
    Make sense.  It’ll be odd just to just have a single Pro model without different performance.
    I don't think it would be odd at all. The only difference between the iPhone 14 Pro and the iPhone 14 Pro Max is the screen size and obviously the bigger battery due to the larger size. That's a good thing in my view. I feel like if you want a smaller phone then get the Pro and if you want a bigger phone then get the Pro Max. I hate being penalized just because I prefer a smaller phone.
    JP234doozydozenmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    JP234 said:
    DuhSesame said:
    I don't think it would be odd at all. The only difference between the iPhone 14 Pro and the iPhone 14 Pro Max is the screen size and obviously the bigger battery due to the larger size. That's a good thing in my view. I feel like if you want a smaller phone then get the Pro and if you want a bigger phone then get the Pro Max. I hate being penalized just because I prefer a smaller phone.
    What "penalty" are you suffering? I prefer a smaller phone, too. It has to fit sideways in my bicycling jersey pocket so it doesn't fall out. The 2020 SE works just fine, and there's nothing I feel like I'm missing with the smaller screen.
    The penalty was with the 12 Pro. The Pro Max had a 47% larger camera sensor and had 2.5X zoom instead of 2X zoom. I felt like I was missing out because I wanted the smaller size. I would be fine with the SE size as long as it has the same specs, but it doesn’t. The main thing for me is that the phone can fit in my front pocket, which the Pro Max does not. I usually go with the Pro because it fits in my front pocket. I was worried about the 6 when it first came out but I waited for the user experience accounts and then confidently purchased the 6S knowing that it would be fine in my front pocket. I see a large number of people with their phone in the back pocket, but I don’t want to do that.
    doozydozenwatto_cobraravnorodomwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 37
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Yeah, not sure what will get me to pay something like $1300 for a pocket device now. Not even sure what Apple could do for the upsell, and I'm more tempted by the iPhone 13 mini these days.

So, maybe it will be like a Watch Ultra. It's going to have a recessed sapphire front glass for shatter resistance, with titanium metal and Action button. A Digital Crown? Maybe. Recessed sapphire back? Maybe? More advanced camera cluster obviously. 10x optical zoom. 48+ MP. Probably 8K 60 Hz? Thunderbolt port. Up to 2 TB. 8 GB and 16 GB RAM tiers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 37
    tshapi said:
    iPhone Ultra = iPhone fold.  This would justify significant cost increase and value  
    I think you're correct. iPhone Fold - we're talking at least $3,000 USD starting price. 
    watto_cobraravnorodomwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 37
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    "camera improvements, an even faster chip, and a larger display"

This is just the kind of incremental update that the iPhone does NOT need, and has comprised every update for years. If Apple wants to drive sales of an "ultra" premium phone, at an ultra premium price, it has to include some feature that millions of people have to have. I don't know what that is, but if Apple can't come up with it, they should scrap that idea, and fast.
    Apparently you missed the part about the other rumored insignificant features including a Ti frame, under-screen Touch ID, Thunderbolt, or port-less design. I can’t imagine millions of people wanting any of those things either. 
    edited February 2023 watto_cobraJP234
  • Reply 12 of 37
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    tshapi said:
    Definitely cost increase,  but maybe not value.  Unless you like an even heavier phone than the Max phones.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    tshapi said:
    I think you're correct. iPhone Fold - we're talking at least $3,000 USD starting price. 
    Not $3000 that will price out of market in this economy.  I suspect maybe closer to a 2k starting price 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 37
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Many of you remember when things were simple,  you had iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.   How times have changed.   It might be said there are already too many current models available. Simplicity has always been Apple mantra right?
    edited February 2023 JaiOh81dewmewatto_cobrarezwitsnubusScot1FileMakerFellerbloggerblog
  • Reply 15 of 37
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    My iPhone 14 Pro Max easily fits into my pants pocket so, while an iPhone Fold may make sense if you have the Max, I’ll stick with the Pro.

edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I think a new, more expensive form factor--like a folding iPhone--would allow Apple to have a phone above the Pro without pissing off its huge and VERY profitable Pro user base because it would be such a different phone. On the other hand, if this rumored "ultra" iPhone got the latest and greatest camera advancements, while Pro buyers had to wait for them to "trickle down" a year or two later, it makes the Pro a less compelling proposition as Apple's "2nd best" phone. 

edited February 2023 watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 17 of 37
    So they've been convincing me to get the ProMax phone for years. Now, $1200+ isn't good enough for Apple? They have to hold back features on that phone so they can create yet another cost level? This is the reward for loyalty over the years? Seems like the penalty for being a chump for years instead. I know this is conjecture at this point, but I don't doubt if Apple can get away with it, they will. And there will be plenty of people to defend Apple.

Yes, I think Apple makes a good product. But there comes a point where it seems rather than a valued customer, Apple is just inventing new ways to make me spend more for what ends up being incremental updates on a yearly basis. I can't decide if I'm more upset with Apple, or myself...
    dewmewatto_cobraScot1
  • Reply 18 of 37
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    So the “Ultra” is supposed to have “some camera improvements, an even faster chip, and a larger display.“
    Then what will the regular models have??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,281member
    It should be powerful like a gorilla yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball.

And don’t forget the cup holders!
    JaiOh81watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 20 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Over the last six years Apple has been very late to market with most of the cutting edge technologies which have rolled out on competing flagship phones, often years before Apple incorporates them. 

This situation really began in 2017, which was when Apple took the right decision, IMO, to extend the model spread with iPhone X. 

The iPhone/iPhone S strategy was only leading to competitors extending their leads in many areas. 

Since the iPhone X Apple has increased the model spread to where we are now with the only bump in the road being last year's decision to use the previous years processors in a new model. 

In spite of that bump, I believe Apple hit the right balance between not having enough models to cater to a broad spread of user needs and price points and having too many. 

The rumored inclusion of an ultra high end model might stretch the product spread just a little too far but there might be some justification for it. 

Apple has its yearly release cycle and subsequent blowout quarter. After release all attention switches to Android with most flagship manufacturers on a two-model per year cycle. One in February/March to coincide with MWC in Barcelona and another in readiness for the Christmas period. CES can also be used as a platform grabbing tool. 

From just about every conceivable perspective, that release cycle is better than Apple’s. Any hiccup in the 'blowout' quarter could have major implications. Releasing phones twice a year keeps consumers focused on the product and attracts it away from competitors. Logistically, it has advantages too. 

As far as this rumor goes, an expensive (read lower demand) ultra premium device, with cutting edge technologies and released early in the year might find its niche and allow Apple to test certain features in the real world prior to making them available on other models down the line once component pricing and availability are better. 

muthuk_vanalingamlogic2.6Hallel