Microsoft integrates ChatGPT into its Bing & Edge products

Posted:
in General Discussion
Microsoft has announced an upgraded version of its Bing search engine and Edge browser that integrates the ChatGPT chatbot.

Microsoft is working closely with OpenAI
Microsoft is working closely with OpenAI

The company shared the news at an in-person event in its Redmond, Washington headquarters. Microsoft is rolling out the ChatGPT integration into Bing and its Edge browser and is investing billions to bring it into its Office productivity apps.

Microsoft calls it the "new Bing," and it will have chat functionality where people can ask questions and receive answers in natural language. It uses an updated version of GPT 3.5 called the "Prometheus Model," which offers more up-to-date information with annotated answers. Examples demonstrated at Microsoft's event included searches for recipes, travel tips, furniture shopping, and more.

Notably, one demo showed ChatGPT offering a travel itinerary with links to sources for information in response to the search query, "create an itinerary for each day of a 5-day trip to Mexico."

Microsoft says the new Bing will be live today "for limited desktop preview," with users able to try a limited number of queries and sign up for full access in the future.

AI-powered search

ChatGPT has taken the world by storm since its launch in November. It's essentially an advanced chatbot that can answer questions posed to it, though it's not without controversy.

For example, some people have used it to create malware, and students have used it to write their homework. Since it's a program, it also can't distinguish fiction from reality and can "hallucinate" false information while presenting them as facts.

It's not going away, however, and its creator, OpenAI, will continually improve the language model. Companies such as Apple, Google, and Microsoft recognize how transformative the technology could be and are racing to compete.

On Monday, Google confirmed it was working on the "Bard" project, an "experimental conversational AI service that it is opening up for testing. The company is currently using "trusted testers" to shake down Bard before making it more widely available to the public within weeks.

Apple is also paying attention, with a report on Tuesday saying that the company is holding its annual internal AI summit at the Steve Jobs Theater, one of its first in-person events in years. Topics this year are expected to focus on ChatGPT and OpenAI.

It's not yet clear whether Apple will seek to integrate ChatGPT into Siri or other products or improve its own computational systems. But it most certainly doesn't plan to be left behind.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    If I am Apple or Google, I would not rest on my laurels. ChatGPT along with Microsoft is formidable threat to many Tech companies in online Search.
    ravnorodomkestralwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Apple, just buy out Open AI right off and it's yours.
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    wood1208 said:
    If I am Apple or Google, I would not rest on my laurels. ChatGPT along with Microsoft is formidable threat to many Tech companies in online Search.
    Blathering nonsense. After all these years Bing is still a non-starter.
    rotateleftbyteAlex1NJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JP234 said:
    Sorry, but that cat is out of the bag. That ship has sailed. Too many other tech firms have already bought in. Apple is late out the gate here.

I'd suggest that the best and brightest Apple engineers take a hard look at the code, and reverse engineer something even better, and purpose-built to work with iOS, MacOS, xrOS, and Siri.
    Yeah,  yeah, yeah, another diatribe about Apple being late to the game, behind the curve, outmaneuvered, too late to catch up, yada yada yada. SSDD (same shit different day). Amazing they still exist, right?
    FileMakerFellerdanoxravnorodomJP234Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    wood1208 said:
    Blathering nonsense. After all these years Bing is still a non-starter.
    Bing is the default search engine, and Edge is the default browser, in many large organisations (especially government entities). Bing is not thriving, but it's not dead.
    OferAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    JP234 said:
    As a Microsoft shareholder, I really appreciate the pop the stock is having on this news (up ≈ 4% today), but the question begging is, "Who uses Bing?"
    Duck Duck Go.
    dewmedanoxbeowulfschmidtAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    wood1208 said:

wood1208 said:

Fixed it for you sounds like Google’s Ad business is the one that’s going to get hit over the head if it does search well.
    edited February 2023 ravnorodomAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    I’m far from an expert, but to the extent I’ve played around with ChatGPT it seems very impressive but also fraught. Taking this tech mainstream could be very tricky. I think there could be wisdom in patience.
    ravnorodomVermelhoAlex1Nwatto_cobraHallel
  • Reply 9 of 19
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    danox said:
    wood1208 said:

wood1208 said:

Fixed it for you sounds like Google’s Ad business is the one that’s going to get hit over the head if it does search well.
    Remember that MS will use Open AI technology in their browser, Windows and MS Office.  We'll have to wait how it works, but if they succeed, they could be a threat to Apple software too.  
    Ofer
  • Reply 10 of 19
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    Just think, if this tech was around 5-10 years ago, people wouldn't still be saying "wait, Bing's still a thing?" They'd actually be able to give Google a run for their money, which is a good thing. More compilation is usually always a good thing. 
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I just wish Apple improves Siri. Significantly. Because now except Alar clocks, timers and weather it can't perform on other queries consistently or be useful enough. 

ravnorodomAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 19
    JP234 said:
    Sorry, but that cat is out of the bag. That ship has sailed. Too many other tech firms have already bought in. Apple is late out the gate here.

I'd suggest that the best and brightest Apple engineers take a hard look at the code, and reverse engineer something even better, and purpose-built to work with iOS, MacOS, xrOS, and Siri.
    You cannot ‘reverse engineer’ a web service where all the core logic is hosted on another server and simply responds through API calls.

Instead, Apple probably is working on their own version using ML techniques that are extensively documented in the science world to replace the aging Siri, and apply that across their entire product portfolio, including xrOS where it could even become the primary user interface.  
    edited February 2023 Alex1NJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I have always hoped that Apple Search would become a reality.  Using AI such as GPT would be sweet.  I wonder if it is too late, or if Apple could pull a rabbit out of the hat.  It seems the ability to claim zero use of user data would be a strong pull, not to mention Apple's own ecosystem.
    edited February 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    "AI" is just a marketing term that tech companies use to cover up what is actually happening: copyright violation on a massive scale. 
    danoxAlex1Nkestralwatto_cobraHallel
  • Reply 15 of 19
    danvm said:
    danox said:
    wood1208 said:

wood1208 said:

Remember that MS will use Open AI technology in their browser, Windows and MS Office.  We'll have to wait how it works, but if they succeed, they could be a threat to Apple software too.  
    I doubt it if it works and provides accurate search. Google ad empire is the number one target and most affected, nice try however with the false Apple equivalence, but even without AI everyone knows to look on page two for what you really are searching for with Google. That’s been true with Google search for years.
    edited February 2023 Alex1NJP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    "AI" is just a marketing term that tech companies use to cover up what is actually happening: copyright violation on a massive scale. 
    It’s the new tech buzzword like VR or AR remember them I guess they’re going out of fashion, Google and Microsoft where the leaders 10-12 years ago, using those buzzwords and developing their crappy gadgets at the time, Hollow lens, and Google Glasses, anyone remember those hardware failures, well Wall Street has long forgotten but they’re pumping the new nebulous tech AI thing today.
    edited February 2023 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    danox said:
    danvm said:
    danox said:
    wood1208 said:

wood1208 said:

I doubt it if it works and provides accurate search. Google ad empire is the number one target and most affected, nice try however with the false Apple equivalence, but even without AI everyone knows to look on page two for what you really are searching for with Google. That’s been true with Google search for years.
    I didn't try to make an equivalence. My point is that if MS does a good job extending AI to Windows and MS Office, could impact Apple too.  I while I agree that it may not have a large impact to Google Search, it could impact GCP and AWS, considering MS is also offering Open AI in Azure.  

General availability of Azure OpenAI Service expands access to large, advanced AI models with added enterprise benefits | Azure Blog and Updates | Microsoft Azure
    Alex1N
  • Reply 18 of 19
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

If we're to talk about intelligence and accuracy, it's important to be intelligent and accurate. It's "OpenAI", without a space.  :D

But on a more important note, OpenAI should remain open-sourced and open to the world. Apple buying it would be a step backwards for the world. I'm all for the value that Apple can add on TOP of open-source projects, but should not smother them for their own gain.
    edited February 2023 Alex1NJP234byronl