Apple to hold first in-person summit in years, focused on AI

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2023

As Apple begins to ease its COVID policies, the company has decided to hold its annual internal AI summit in person, which could mean the company may soon return to traditional media events.

Steve Jobs Theater
Steve Jobs Theater

The AI summit is similar to Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, except it caters only to Apple employees. Topics this year are expected to focus on ChatGPT and OpenAI.

While the event will be held in-person, it will still be streamed for employees who are unable to attend.

The news was shared on Twitter by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Interestingly, the event will be held in the Steve Jobs Theater at the Apple HQ and the in-person event will be streamed to employees as well. So, essentially how Apple held media events pre-Covid. Have to wonder if Apple will also return to that for public product launches. https://t.co/uhLv4se9oW

-- Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

While it's impossible to tell just yet, Apple could return to the live format for its other events, such as iPhone launch events and WWDC.

It was recently learned that Apple changed its corporate worker COVID-19 policy and will no longer require employees to get tested before entering the office.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    That ChatGPT thingie creates some serious ripple effects.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Will any AIs be allowed to attend or just people?
    FileMakerFellerStrangeDayswatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 3 of 9
    That ChatGPT thingie creates some serious ripple effects.
    I hope one of these ripple effects will be that Apple gets the impetus to seriously improve Siri. My latest aggravation is that although I have been able to say “speak screen” , and Siri would do it suddenly one day it stopped doing it. I had several conversations with Apple support and we could not get it to speak screen again. “ sorry, there’s nothing to read here.”.  Also, recently, when I ask Siri to read my calendar for tomorrow it will just tell me how many events I have for tomorrow, and will not read out what they are like it was doing. The sudden disruptions in service are very annoying especially when you end up spending days on different forums  trying to find out if Apple has merely taken away a function, as they did, when Siri used to be able to search your photos for objects, dates, etc. or if it is a problem with your device.
    ravnorodomFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    What is Apple doing about ChatGPT / Bard and the AI wars? This is huge. Apple hired an AI guy, time for him to earn his pay.
    OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    kestral said:
    What is Apple doing about ChatGPT / Bard and the AI wars? This is huge. Apple hired an AI guy, time for him to earn his pay.
    The top AI guy that Apple hired left due to Apple's remote work policy and went to work for Google DeepMind last year:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/05/07/apples-director-of-machine-learning-exits-over-return-to-office-policy
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/ian-goodfellow-b7187213

He was at Apple for over 3 years. Still, a lot of this stuff is open source now.

This could be Apple's entrance into online search that was rumored a while ago. It could behave much like Siri with conversational search but obviously more advanced and a bit more accurate due to typing instead of speaking.
    ravnorodomFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I wonder if many people would be willing to pay a monthly subscription fee for an updated and much  more capable and dependable Siri. Depending on how much it was, and what all it could do, I think I would be. Maybe that would give Apple a reason to concentrate more on it instead of something like this mixed reality headset that I’ll bet many people won’t be able to afford or will want.  I don’t know. Just my opinion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    kestral said:
    I don't know about you fine people, but I was shocked to discover that Apple has more than one person working on AI. Maybe they're treating it seriously after all?

/s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I wonder if many people would be willing to pay a monthly subscription fee for an updated and much  more capable and dependable Siri. Depending on how much it was, and what all it could do, I think I would be. Maybe that would give Apple a reason to concentrate more on it instead of something like this mixed reality headset that I’ll bet many people won’t be able to afford or will want.  I don’t know. Just my opinion.
    That won’t happen in a million years. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Will any AIs be allowed to attend or just people?
    Best not. We don’t want them to hear us talk about them. 
    watto_cobrabyronl