Google bizarrely believes that iPhone photos can be fixed on a Pixel

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google is teasing an announcement with an ad that shows an iPhone user asking an Android user to fix their blurry photo.

The new
The new "FixedOnPixel" ad from Google

The video implies that the Android user has a Google Pixel phone since the company used the hashtag "FixedOnPixel." It also suggests that the other person is an iPhone user because the conversation uses blue and green bubbles.

At the end of the 20-second video, the text says, "Get the fix on 2.12.23."

It's not likely to be an announcement of a new Pixel smartphone since Google releases new models in the fall, such as the Pixel 7 in October. Instead, it might be a new or improved feature that could automatically enhance photos sent through messages or a tool that is specific to Google's RCS messaging implementation.

Photos from that phone. #FixedOnPixel 2.12.23 pic.twitter.com/OsVmBQaHCX

-- Google Pixel (@GooglePixel_US)

It's an odd situation in which a Pixel owner could save the day by fixing blurry or low-quality photos from others. Perhaps the iPhone user had unwittingly turned on Low Quality Image Mode in Settings.

Nevertheless, Google still has the February 12 event scheduled. In the meantime, the company should look into hardware problems with the Pixel 7.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    Send me a picture in messages, I can save it to photos and edit it there. That includes colour adjustments and some "focus" related tools.

Androids can probably do the same thing.

Still, strange ad!
    h2pFileMakerFellerkillroypscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 52
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    I’m a long time iPhone user that just got an Android for app testing. Sorry Android is inferior. That’s not breaking any ground here. But hey, this is my actual 1st experience owning an iPhone knockoff. 
    ravnorodommagman1979igorskykillroyjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 52
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    …to be more specific in my comments… the organization of the OS is inferior as it seems chaotic. They loaded it up with games I didn’t ask for. Again, iPhone user, so making basic settings changes were difficult to figure out. 

One bright spot. Google apps work great (as well as they can since I believe Gmail is poorly designed but I do use it.)
    edited February 2023 magman1979igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 52
    An AI based Tool to fix (not just enhance) pictures? Remove blur, straighten buildings, straighten horizons, remove overexposures, etc but just with a tap not a slider? 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 52
    "Oh, you took a bad photo? Here, let AI mess it up some more."
    9secondkox2magman1979igorskyAlex1NravnorodomJaiOh81pscooter63jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 52
    It seems to me it’s also bizarre to say it’s bizzare without even knowing what it is. I stay away from Google products as much as is practical (I use YouTube…) but maybe they have something cool. They’ve had a cool thing here or there before. 
    edited February 2023 rapcatmeowmuthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonwatto_cobragrandact73
  • Reply 7 of 52
    LOL. Google with yet another stupid ad that makes no sense. 

“Oh gee. Let’s do a genius as where we imply that our product is actually better and that the other product needs ours to fix it’s problems.”

This kind of paychological ploy never works outside of 6th grade. 

Either that or they forgot to state that the iPhone in the was the iPhone 3G. 
    magman1979Alex1Npscooter63jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 52
    h2p said:
    …to be more specific in my comments… the organization of the OS is inferior as it seems chaotic. They loaded it up with games I didn’t ask for. Again, iPhone user, so making basic settings changes were difficult to figure out. 

One bright spot. Google apps work great (as well as they can since I believe Gmail is poorly designed but I do use it.)
    I do t care for Google apps at all. I actually pay for Office because googles apps aren’t as good. I have a gmail account, but I organize it through apple mail and outlook because the native gmail experience sucks. 

The only Google products that seem truly great are search and YouTube. 
    magman1979pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Cross-platform (non-iMessage) texts don’t appear with green and blue bubbles on Android, do they? On iPhone, they appear gray and green, of course. Do Android phones even visually distinguish between messages to iPhones and those to other phones?
    edited February 2023 Alex1Npscooter63FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Cross-platform (non-iMessage) texts don’t appear with green and blue bubbles on Android, do they? On iPhone, they appear gray and green, of course. Do Android phones even visually distinguish between messages to iPhones and those to other phones?
    LOL

Google can’t even be real with the imagery. And the message is from the android ui perspective. 
    magman1979Alex1Npscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 52
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    I thought this feature had already been pre-announced by some company.

I saw something on YouTube from a presentation recap and it was mentioned. 

I can't remember which company was going to bring it to market though.

With this ad, I suppose it must have been Google.

EDIT:

Found it. The feature was announced four months ago:  minute 4

edited February 2023 muthuk_vanalingamgatorguyAlex1NFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 52
    h2p said:
    I’m a long time iPhone user that just got an Android for app testing. Sorry Android is inferior. That’s not breaking any ground here. But hey, this is my actual 1st experience owning an iPhone knockoff. 
    Inferior? Please remind me how iPhones get their apps updated.. oh right you have to wait for an ENTIRE OS update.
    avon b7williamlondon9secondkox2pscooter63grandact73
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Hopefully it's a good fix since Apple can't get their shit together apparently. 
    williamlondon9secondkox2AT-5000pscooter63
  • Reply 14 of 52
    TimApple said:
    h2p said:
    Inferior? Please remind me how iPhones get their apps updated.. oh right you have to wait for an ENTIRE OS update.
    How to say you are out of touch without saying it that’s not been true for a while

Android devices are lucky if it even gets an os update after 2 years

Anyone who uses mms for photos does not have common sense whatspp/telegram/signal/messenger would work better and faster
    edited February 2023 magman1979williamlondon9secondkox2Alex1NJaiOh81pscooter63jeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 52

It's an odd situation in which a Pixel owner could save the day by fixing blurry or low-quality photos from others. Perhaps the iPhone user had unwittingly turned on Low Quality Image Mode in Settings.

It's not entirely bizarre, given that Pixel hardware has been increasingly specialized to run the AI-assisted software. iPhones have a version of Lens available, but friends/family borrow my phone for the instant/live translation, transcription & OCR functions the 7/7Pro chipsets can do within a moment of opening the camera. I borrow their Apple devices to use iOS only software like Procreate when it's the best for something I'm working on.

All the device ecosystems have specific stuff they do particularly well.  
    muthuk_vanalingamgatorguywilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    tanelorn said:

It's not entirely bizarre, given that Pixel hardware has been increasingly specialized to run the AI-assisted software. iPhones have a version of Lens available, but friends/family borrow my phone for the instant/live translation, transcription & OCR functions the 7/7Pro chipsets can do within a moment of opening the camera. I borrow their Apple devices to use iOS only software like Procreate when it's the best for something I'm working on.

I use both iPhone and Android for the same reason. There are things my iPhone can accomplish, or at least accomplish better, than my Pixel can.  The same with my Pixel which can do things my iPhone cannot, and some other things it just does better. They're both great phones. I'm not afraid to use both, in fact doing so has been eye-opening. 
    muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhAT-5000
  • Reply 17 of 52
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,804member
    gatorguy said:
    tanelorn said:

I use both iPhone and Android for the same reason. There are things my iPhone can accomplish, or at least accomplish better, than my Pixel can.  The same with my Pixel which can do things my iPhone cannot, and some other things it just does better. They're both great phones. I'm not afraid to use both, in fact doing so has been eye-opening. 
    And yeah, Google is the one paying Apple billions for a default position on their phone, me too me too or is that Samsung they both seem to occupy that same me to space.
    edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 52
    That would be hilarious if the pictures became the intellectual property of Google after being enhanced because they’ve changed enough to satisfy the legal definition. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 52
    That would be hilarious if the pictures became the intellectual property of Google after being enhanced because they’ve changed enough to satisfy the legal definition. 
    Much like when people use Photo Editors to modify the photos in their phones/computers, they become the intellectual property of the company which provided the photo editing software??? Seriously?
  • Reply 20 of 52
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    danox said:
    gatorguy said:
    tanelorn said:

And yeah, Google is the one paying Apple billions for a default position on their phone, me too me too or is that Samsung they both seem to occupy that same me to space.
    And it was Apple begging Google to partner up for the original iPhone so that its success would be more assured. Without Google, it would not have been, or at least as quickly. Since then it's been Apple Me-Too maps, Apple Me-Too ads, Apple Me-Too Crash Detection, Apple Me-Too widgets, Apple Me-Too translate ... So what?

If it improves the user experience on whatever device you choose to buy does it matter who came up with the basic idea to begin with? Hell, the Apple Car steals from Henry Ford, big whoop. When Apple is forced to allow non-Webkit browsers it will be the impetus for them to more quickly improve Safari. Android is improved by iOS, and iOS is made better by Android. 

I'm not in the least concerned with who invented electricity. All I care about is that it is, and the ways of creating, delivering and using it continue to improve. This whole "OMG stolen!!" from a quarter-century ago is so schoolyard. 
    edited February 2023 muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhroundaboutnow