Jony Ive designed the royal emblem for King Charles' coronation

Posted:
in General Discussion
Made in both English and Welsh versions, Jony Ive says his emblem for the coronation was "inspired by King Charles' love of the planet."

English version of the emblem
English version of the emblem

The UK's King Charles will officially be crowned in May 2023, and Buckingham Palace has unveiled the new emblem that will be featured throughout the celebrations.

"It is such an honour to be able to contribute to this remarkable national occasion, and our team is so very proud of this work," Sir Jony Ive said of his design for the emblem. "The design was inspired by King Charles' love of the planet, nature, and his deep concern for the natural world."

"The emblem speaks to the happy optimism of spring and celebrates the beginning of this new Carolean era for the United Kingdom," he continued. "The gentle modesty of these natural forms combine to define an emblem that acknowledges both the joyful and profound importance of this occasion."

Designed in red, white, and blue to match the flag of the United Kingdom, the emblem represents the flora of the four nations of the UK. It features the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, the daffodil of Wales, and the shamrock of Northern Ireland.

Welsh version of the emblem
Welsh version of the emblem

The overall design is centered on a representation of St Edward's Crown, with which King Charles will be crowned during the Coronation Service. The service will take place at London's Westminster Abbey on Saturday, May 6, 2023.

Ive's work for the Royals follows his typically well-designed remodelling of the UK Comic Relief charity's famous red nose.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Reminds me of a unexpected well designed red nose.... 
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    It’s beautiful.
    edited February 2023 wozwozgregoriusmwatto_cobraaaplfanboy
  • Reply 3 of 24
    No four leaf clovers?   Hmmmm.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    The Republic of Ireland is not a country within the United Kingdom. 
    edited February 2023 ioniclewatto_cobraMacPro
  • Reply 5 of 24
    Hedware said:
    Not sure how that ties in.  I was thinking more of the 'luck' aspect.  

And yes, I know, the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK.  I don't think I said it was.
    wozwoz
  • Reply 6 of 24
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Very elegant and tasteful ! 
    gregoriusmwatto_cobrasidrictheviking
  • Reply 7 of 24
    So now you're covering every little pfft that comes out of Sr. Jony?! How about covering his contribution to Apple Park rather than this high school level clip-art fluff that is rivaled only by his celebratory red Halloween pumpkin nose!
    watto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 8 of 24
    So now you're covering every little pfft that comes out of Sr. Jony?! How about covering his contribution to Apple Park rather than this high school level clip-art fluff that is rivaled only by his celebratory red Halloween pumpkin nose!
    Oh my. 
    watto_cobraskippingrockFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 24
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    And the hits keep rolling in for Jony. I wonder how many hours it would have taken a first-year graphic communications major to put this together in Illustrator. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 217member
    sbdude said:
    And the hits keep rolling in for Jony. I wonder how many hours it would have taken a first-year graphic communications major to put this together in Illustrator. 

“Bah humbug!”
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Hedware said:
    Not sure how that ties in.  I was thinking more of the 'luck' aspect.  

And yes, I know, the Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK.  I don't think I said it was.
    To clear this up as an Irish person. 

Shamrock is a symbol associated with the island of Ireland, not just the symbol for Northern Ireland or Ireland (sometimes referred to the Republic of Ireland.)

Using a shamrock as symbol associated with the crown (as is the case here) is a hangover from when the whole island of Ireland was part of the UK but they keep using it I guess as it still refers to the northern portion of the island that remains in the UK. So fair enough. 

The ‘four leaf clover luck’ is entirely a US concept. We never say clover in Ireland as we use shamrock. Shamrock is a certain type of clover - it’s always green, generally smaller, and never has four leaves. Other varieties of clover can come in a variety of colours and can often have 4 leaves. 

We also don’t use clover for St. Patrick’s Day - we use shamrock and we pin some onto our lapel.

But feel to call it clover. But now you know. 

I’ll get off my soapbox now…
    edited February 2023 sidricthevikingwilliamhhydrogenkurai_kagemikethemartianFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Four-leaved clover has nothing to do with being Irish. I’m not sure where the confusion started but certainly not here in Ireland. The shamrock (3 leaves) is our national ‘flower’. That’s why it’s used by Aer Lingus, The Irish Tourist Board and Irish Rugby, for example — always 3 leaves, never four. It’s appropriate to include it in this design since Northern Ireland is, obviously, Irish and is also (currently) part of the United Kingdom. 

(I see that skipdeedy has already covered much of this)

Warmest greetings from the Emerald Isle!

ߘ箰☘️ 

The shamrock is an official Irish emblem: https://enterprise.gov.ie/en/what-we-do/innovation-research-development/intellectual-property/trade-marks/state-emblems/

totally unrelated, but…here’s an 8-leaved clover I found a few years ago (yes,  in Ireland)

edited February 2023 williamhFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yeah, so-called techies always tend to dismiss the importance of art and design when it comes to consumer products. Just put it in a cardboard box as long as it has good benchmarks. I’ve seen my share of fake techie creations in plastic cases with flashing LEDs and giant fans whirring away. Just drop by YouTube’s Linus TechTips where design means bupkis. 

Ive is a British citizen, Charles III is his King. He did his part for the coronation.
    edited February 2023 williamhwonkothesanesidricthevikingkurai_kageFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 14 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,319member
    Good to see he acutely showed how much the English monarchy cares about the other realms!

baconstang
  • Reply 15 of 24
  • Reply 16 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    I’m generally tired of Ive but this bit of work looks really nice.  
  • Reply 17 of 24
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah, so-called techies always tend to dismiss the importance of art and design when it comes to consumer products. Just put it in a cardboard box as long as it has good benchmarks. I’ve seen my share of fake techie creations in plastic cases with flashing LEDs and giant fans whirring away. Just drop by YouTube’s Linus TechTips where design means bupkis. 

Ive is a British citizen, Charles III is his King. He did his part for the coronation.
    "so-called techies"……guess I fit that category in that I've been programming computers since the days of mainframes, and I've built home computers and synthesizers since the 1980's. I'm also a commercial artist and composer with 40+ years of experience, so maybe my comment has some weight behind it. My point was that I've yet to see an article from AppleInsider about anything as significant as Sr. Jony's contribution to the most valuable property on the planet, not to mention contributions to the often superb Apple Stores around the world and so on and so forth. (PS:  Not particularly a fan of Linus, but admire the YouTube network he's created)
  • Reply 18 of 24
    totally unrelated, but…here’s an 8-leaved clover I found a few years ago (yes,  in Ireland)

I had found a 16 leaf clover ☘️ one time in Victoria, Canada. It came from this one plant that we found that over the years consistently grew us 4 leaf clovers 🍀 in with the three leaf ones. We wanted to dig it up and bring it with us when we moved but that was a hot summer and the plant finally died. 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Needs a chamfered edge.... 
    baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 24
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:

"so-called techies"……guess I fit that category in that I've been programming computers since the days of mainframes, and I've built home computers and synthesizers since the 1980's. I'm also a commercial artist and composer with 40+ years of experience, so maybe my comment has some weight behind it. My point was that I've yet to see an article from AppleInsider about anything as significant as Sr. Jony's contribution to the most valuable property on the planet, not to mention contributions to the often superb Apple Stores around the world and so on and so forth. (PS:  Not particularly a fan of Linus, but admire the YouTube network he's created)
    I know design is debatable but honestly his designs later at Apple sucked and I think they held Apple back a lot. His obsessions with thinness made Apple create some not so great products towards the end. Maybe they looked nice but he always designed form over function IMO. I think Jony leaving Apple has left them in a better place today. 
    edited February 2023 muthuk_vanalingam