15.5-inch MacBook Air rumored to arrive in early April 2023

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2023
The latest revision to a long-running rumor claims that Apple has started producing panels for a 15.5-inch MacBook Air and is aiming for a release in early April.

New MacBook Air could launch in April
New MacBook Air could launch in April

Display supply chain analyst Ross Young said in December that the larger MacBook Air would arrive in the spring of 2023. In a Tweet to Super Followers, he said on Monday that panel production for the larger MacBook Air started this month, with the product launcing in April.

Rumors of a 15-inch MacBook Air have circulated since 2021, but not much is known about the device other than its larger screen size. However, it may feature the next generation of Apple Silicon -- such as an M3 chip -- and Apple supplier TSMC started mass production of a 3-nanometer chip process in late December.

The New MacBook Air might also receive a MagSafe 3 connector for charging, as opposed to solely charging via a USB-C port.

Details on a future 15-inch MacBook Air have also been leaked by analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo believes that wouldn't go into production until late 2023 and would be called a MacBook instead of a MacBook Air.

Ross Young has a strong track record, especially when it comes to display-specific supply predictions.

Multiple rumors from different sources might point to an actual release of the new device, though there are no guarantees until Apple actually announces a product.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    with the product launcing in April.” - I think you mean launching

williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 19
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    No way in hell would I buy a MacBook with MagSafe port if I cannot recharge with USB-C. 

williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 3 of 19
    netrox, I think it'll have both MagSafe and USB-C - article reads "as opposed to SOLELY charging via a USB-C port" (my emphasis). This is as opposed to the M1 MacBook Air and Intel ones back to 2018 which SOLELY charged via USB-C.
    d_2h4y3sdoozydozen9secondkox2Alex1N
  • Reply 4 of 19

I wanted MagSafe, they gave me USB-C.

iPads adopted USB-C, EU said USB-C for Cellular phones, and I was happy finally there is a hope we will have a single connector within the Apple ecosystem.

One charger for travels, I thought.

And MagSafe is back?

orz
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 5 of 19
    DoTombori said:

I wanted MagSafe, they gave me USB-C.

iPads adopted USB-C, EU said USB-C for Cellular phones, and I was happy finally there is a hope we will have a single connector within the Apple ecosystem.

One charger for travels, I thought.

And MagSafe is back?

orz
    You can use either MagSafe or USB-C for charging on all current Apple laptops that have both port types; it’s a nice choice to have in my opinion, but I respect if you disagree.
    d_2doozydozen9secondkox2Japhey
  • Reply 6 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    JP234 said:
    What's the point of a 15 inch Air? You want to 15" display, buy the Pro.
    The point is about $500 to $1000.

A MBA15 with M2, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB will be about $1500. Option for the 16 GB and 512 GB, probably $1900. A MBP16 is $2500.

h4y3smuthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowwilliamlondonmattinozTheObannonFiledoozydozen9secondkox2blastdoorAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    tht said:
    JP234 said:

A MBA15 with M2, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB will be about $1500. Option for the 16 GB and 512 GB, probably $1900. A MBP16 is $2500.
    Plus the 15" will be much lighter (1lb less) than the 16" as they cut down the battery.

I'd also expect them to offer it in midnight blue, which is a very nice color and one that would be nice on the Pro models:

1lb+ lighter, at least $600 cheaper than the 16", extra color options, slimmer.

The Macbook Pro models offer extra power and better display quality but this works for people who have more basic computing needs and prefer a larger display.
    williamlondonwelshdogchiaTheObannonFiledoozydozenmuthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 19
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    Let’s hope it’s not fan less 
    williamlondonTheObannonFile9secondkox2
  • Reply 9 of 19
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I would buy a 15.5" Air immediately. My 2017 15" MBP is still performs well, but even after a keyboard and battery replacement (free via Apple) I've now got key caps that are cracked. There will probably be another keyboard failure in it's future and that one won't be free. The Air would be a lot faster and the big screen is what I prefer for my elderly vision. Don't need the extra CPU/graphics power of an MBP any longer. I hope this rumor turns out to be correct.
    JapheyAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    JP234 said:
    tht said:
    JP234 said:

So, what's the point? Buy a 13" MBA or a 16" MBP. Don't have the extra $500? Don't buy it.
    That's the problem, people may not buy a Mac laptop at all. MBA13 is too small. MBP16 is too expensive. Meanwhile, there are lots of 15" to 17" thin-n-light Windows options for $1500. I think it is a fairly big niche: people who want a large display laptop, but don't need the performance of the MBP and don't want to spend that much.

So, Apple would have a shot at getting those people if they offered a model. It's basically a smaller upsell from the MBA. I bet they've always held back because they'd lose too many MBP15/16 sales in the past. In the end, to get more buyers, they need to offer models to go into more niches. An $800 laptop should be in play. A "Ultra" workstation laptop should be considered. 
    williamlondonJuice123Japheymuthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 11 of 19
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    KTR said:
    Let’s hope it’s not fan less 
    Doubt it would have a fan. If you need the extra performance a fan provides, get a Pro. The trade off would be longer battery life.
    Personally I would be more worried it is port crippled just like the original rMB, which was also too high priced for widespread adoption.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 12 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    JP234 said:
    tht said:
    JP234 said:

So, what's the point? Buy a 13" MBA or a 16" MBP. Don't have the extra $500? Don't buy it.

If they release it Apple think there is a market large enough of people who don't need the power of the Pro machine but would like the screen space. 

Lot of people deal with mostly text, but might want multiple columns that just gets too tight on the 13. Plus their corp BYOM budget might go above $2k so a $1,500 to $1,900 dollar larger screen might be able to tap a market the +$2.5K machines can't.
    williamlondonJuice123muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 13 of 19
    JP234 said:
    tht said:
    JP234 said:

The point is that ASi is powerful enough that many people only need the M2 but also a larger display. This is it.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 14 of 19
    So long as the pro models continue to have space gray and silver models, I don’t care what colors the consumer models come in. Hopefully many choices. But space gray and silver should always be in the lineup. Kind of like Apple staples. 

Actually would be great to see a return to white as well. Apple had a corner on thst market at one point. Powder coated white would be pretty rad. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 15 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    The larger screen Air I want is an iPad Air, 13”.

• Reply 16 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    For someone who routinely derides others for buying things that you find superfluous, how exactly does this elude you? 
    Was this your reaction to the iPhone 14 Plus too?
    edited February 2023 muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N
  • Reply 17 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    tht said:
    JP234 said:

Nah. You just don’t get it. 
    Be honest…you’re George, aren’t you? 
    d_2muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    I’d definitely be up for a 15” MBA. I was about to make a decision between the 13”MBA and the 14” MBP, but this changes things considerably if it’s true. Useful to know that the rumour-monger is known to have a reasonable track record. We’ll see.