Post your 970 Tower mock ups

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 215
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Slots along the upper front and back edge would work both as venilation holes and as handles without adding to the bulk of the towers as the handles do. My tower survived a transatlantic flight but those handles sure added a lot to the bulk!

Those mockups with cooling finns look terrible. The towers should look sleek and smooth. Remember the Montolith in the book and later film "2001" by A C Clarke? It really would fit with the 970 CPU due to the connection between 2001 and IBM

(The computer in the film was named HAL, transposing those 3 letters one step forward in the alphabet get you I...B...M)

The sleek 1X4X9 proportions of the monolith is perphaps to sleek for tower computer. The main snag would be fitting the optical drives vertically, but it sure would make one cool looking computer

8)
  • Reply 202 of 215
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Well since Moki asked... I'll give my .02 cents.

"Demonstrated" would be my call. Why? Well to me it wouldn't be out of the question to hear that while 32 bit apps should run unmodified on the 970 the same couldn't be said for the OS. Heck maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so.

So with that being said....

The 970 will be demo'd at WWDC with a ship date of 'insert ship date for Panther' heck maybe even giving some developers a chance to buy 'one offs' (pre-production models) so they can get to work with any code changes they might like to tinker with now that the PPC is 64bit.

The problem is still as follows...

WWDC is set for June (23rd - 27th). Panther ... while I don't know it's time table I'm assuming it'll be set for sometime in Sep. (end of Aug if they 'get lucky')

That means Apple would have 'super flat' desktop sales for June July and Aug. I include all of June since by then the feaver pitch over the 970 being seen @ WWDC will have hit a level where lots more mac fans as well as potential 'switchers' will 'wait it out' just to see what happens.

Fred Anderson has stated that Apples Q2 forecast would be 'flat'

Dave

'The year of the laptop'. Besides, 2 months until the 970s release after it's demo is a lot better then WWDC's original date, don't ya think? Following your thought, that wouldv'e killed tower sales so it's a good thing Steve moved the show back.
  • Reply 203 of 215
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    You must look at this link! You know how spymac is you have to go there, cant link pics in.

This is super wicked! Trust Me!

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/showph...t=1&thecat=555
  • Reply 204 of 215
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
  • Reply 205 of 215
    Is that thing thing not wicked, or what? The other 2 are pretty nice also. I can only hope Apple beef's it up a little. That Quad 970 G5 Idea has me creaming. I mean Screaming.
  • Reply 206 of 215
    Wicked indeed! Here's another pic of the same case:

Link

The LCD display at the front is COOL !!!

• Reply 207 of 215
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Look at the picture above, and imagine if the desktop/background image was actually a video loop...

Waves crashing on the shore and rolling back into the ocean, with matching audio loop coming through the sound system real low & subtle...

Or imagine if you could run a DVD movie at full-screen, but as the desktop/background image! Of course, with ZERO dropped frames/stuttering, and ZERO effect on the total system response...

And the LCD (ne: iTunes visualizer screen) on the front of the tower could be reacting to the audio, of course...

That kind of demo would blow people away, no matter what platform they preferred...

Cheers!

;^p
  • Reply 208 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Look at the picture above, and imagine if the desktop/background image was actually a video loop...

Waves crashing on the shore and rolling back into the ocean, with matching audio loop coming through the sound system real low & subtle...

Or imagine if you could run a DVD movie at full-screen, but as the desktop/background image! Of course, with ZERO dropped frames/stuttering, and ZERO effect on the total system response...

And the LCD (ne: iTunes visualizer screen) on the front of the tower could be reacting to the audio, of course...

That kind of demo would blow people away, no matter what platform they preferred...

Cheers!

;^p

That LCD would be cool, but you would have to be able to shut it off. Even though it's a "Quad G5 970" it would hinder startup. I wouldn't want it taking from processor intensive rendering, or anything I was working on ever.

I think it's just in the mochup to look cool. It would never happen in reality, but it look's nice in the mochup.
  • Reply 209 of 215
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

[B]Wicked indeed! Here's another pic of the same case:

Link

this thing is great - i'd buy that...
  • Reply 210 of 215
    Looks pretty cool - but if you have ever had to do any upgrading or modification to your tower, this thing looks like a nightmare. It looks harder to work on than the old Beige G3 tower I have in my closet - and that thing makes me growl every time I have to open it up.

I shouldn't be tearing it up - it looks nice - but those would have to be hot-swap drives which means $$$s - and considering the leaf-blowers in the current towers, how would this thing not melt into a pile of slag on your floor?

So overall look - not bad. Functionality - non-existent.
  • Reply 211 of 215
    There are a few others by the same guy at SpyMac that are pretty nice. The curvy one is lame, but the sectioned version is way cool. Looks like a take off from a multi componant stereo setup. Wouldn't that be ideal. Too bad building an Xserve cluster w/Raid is a freaking fortune. Apple needs a SuperPowerMac in a whole new category, but trys to remain BTO, so we can up the antie at will. Or as we can afford to.
  • Reply 212 of 215
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Frankly, none of the designs I have seen in this thread are convincing. El Capitan is to this day the best computer enclosure I have seen even if I had my doubts about the MDD. Now my GF went and bought one and in the plastic (I never bothered to go look at one before) it blows you away. It's all in the details and the overall elegance of the formal approach.

All of us can sit around and make our own amateur designs (even if I am a professional) but it takes someone with real talent, production knowledge, engineering knowledge and a product brief to think this thing out of the box - and I sincerely hope that is the direction we are going. I understand the tech reasons for the box-under-your-desk layout of computers but I want it to be something else.

The iMac is perfect in this regard (even if I don't like the sphere) and what if the PM did something equally radical. All the designs I have seen are essentially boxes - be it one or several in a modular layout.

We have FW 800. We have Gigabit networking. We have AirPort Extreme. We have the whole foundation for something much more etherical than a PeeCee tower under your desk. I don't think it will happen just yet but that's what I want. No leaf-blower under my desk, no box to knock my shins against, no cable clutter.

So this is my design:

That's it.

Kroehl.
  • Reply 213 of 215
    Id like to see a slimline tower with a scatch metal front and glass from the sides..maybe even a glowing Apple logo that gets brighter the darker the room gets. With a glass keyboard with scratch metal keys and backlighting system. A mouse that has an ipod type touch censor to give the cursor more precision and small extra buttons for us 3d artists.
  • Reply 214 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by silvergun

maybe even a glowing Apple logo that gets brighter the darker the room gets.

Probably cooler the other way around. When it's completely dark it should glow just slightly, and then increase as ambient light increases.
  • Reply 215 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by silvergun

Id like to see a slimline tower with a scatch metal front and glass from the sides..maybe even a glowing Apple logo that gets brighter the darker the room gets. With a glass keyboard with scratch metal keys and backlighting system. A mouse that has an ipod type touch censor to give the cursor more precision and small extra buttons for us 3d artists.

Deja vu. Thaught I had ansvered your post before there silvergun... and I had.